Asking for a friend. No, really
This is a first gun purchase, will be a handgun for a variety of reasons, and will likely only be used for HD and not CCW. However, if it is small/light enough to eventually be used as a CCW that is a bonus. The person has shot typical polymer pistols like a Glock 19, Sig P320, Beretta APX, etc and not really liked them. In particular they don’t like the Glock grip angle. They have shot pistols like the FNX Tactical, heavy revolvers and really liked them. They find the extra weight helps them shoot better insofar as being more accurate, more comfortable, and faster follow-ups.
I don’t have a lot of knowledge or experience around heavier all-metal (or mostly metal) framed pistols. Pretty much Sig P226, Beretta 92fs, and maybe 1911s and that’s all I can think of.
If not for cost, the FNX Tactical .45ACP would probably already be decided on (polymer frame, but still very heavy), but that’s right on the edge of the budget (really, its over budget), and we need all the room we can get for ammo, mags, and other accessories.
- MUST be reliable out of the box. This person is not a tinkerer, wont sand or polish triggers, and doesn’t have the experience to diagnose why something doesn’t work, and I can’t always be at the range with the person
- DA/SA or striker fired is DAO is
- Budget < $1,000, less is better
- Must be common with lots of aftermarket support for holsters, mags, sights, accessories, etc
- Caliber doesn’t matter much, but 9mm or .45ACP is preferred
- Preferably holds 10+ rounds
So I’m looking for specific model recommendations, and ideally something we can do some preliminary research on Youtube to narrow down a list of choices that we can then hopefully be able to rent on the range. The range nearby has a pretty good selection of firearms to rent (whether we can purchase remains to be seen…).