Gun Shopping Today!

Gonna try to help a buddy pick out his first handgun today. He and his wife are both good with long guns, but he bought a travel trailer and wants something more compatible with self defense in that arena.

The range we are going to has probably about 100 models in their rental cabinet, so I think we will spend quite a bit of time figuring out what feels comfortable before renting and trying. He’s already downselected to 9mm, so that will make it easier. I think it’s going to be a fun day!

Available range rental list: https://lotusgunrange.com/rentals.html

5 Likes

The Ruger SR9C on the list, ambidextrous safety and mag release. It also has a “Loaded” indicator which is very visible. Easy to find accessories and holsters.
A great starter, and beyond pistol.

3 Likes

A lot of good stuff on there. If he has larger sized hands, the Berettas may be a good fit. Sig/HK would be the highlights for me.Have fun!

2 Likes

Oh yes brother I wish I was there with you.

2 Likes

Good luck, buy me something nice!

2 Likes

That’s a great rental selection. If they can’t find a gun on that list they like, well, I guess hand them a pointy stick.

4 Likes

Sounds fun!!!

1 Like

+1 on the SR9C, my first handgun and my reliable CCW.

3 Likes

So many choices! See if you can narrow it down to direct competitors so you can compare apples to apples. Comparing a Glock 19 to a 1911 is just way too different. You compare a 1911 to maybe a Beretta 92 and a Sig P226 (all DA/SA).

For example, all the double stack striker fired pistols.

• CZ P-10
  • FN 509
  • Glock 19
  • H&K VP9
  • Ruger SR9c
  • Sig P320C
  • S&W M&P9
  • Springfield XD9
  • Walther PPQ
2 Likes

Enjoy this long shooting ! :+1:

1 Like

Now THAT is funny…

3 Likes

It was a lot of fun :+1:

Phone battery is running low, so will have to give a detailed report later … in the meantime I will say they had a couple more models not on the website :smiley:

4 Likes

Enjoy even longer shooting ! :+1:
:wink:

2 Likes

I’m jealous. So give us the details when possible. Never been to a range that had a large array of rentals to try, so I would go nuts I imagine.

3 Likes

If it’s just to keep in there trailer, I’d get the biggest 9mm they like shooting. Lots of great options! Really just personal preference.

3 Likes

Thanks for showing me my next vacation spot !!!

2 Likes

Another friend joined us so we had a couple more models to check out. I know my shopping buddy so knew budget was not a criterion – gotta love it when you’re spending somebody else’s money. As a matter of fact, that’s what he said after a couple of adult beverages and playing cards on Saturday night. :+1:

On the way there I explained the types of 9mm we would see today, striker fire, DA/SA, and SAO. Even though I don’t own a striker fire, I was kind of leading him that way because of the pick-it-up and pull the trigger and every trigger pull is the same mentality. I was trying not to overload with data, but provide enough info to ensure he understood a striker fire wouldn’t go off if the trigger was not pulled, even if dropped.

We get there, and even though I am not a Glock guy, I thought the G17 or G19 would definitely be in the running – no go. I was privately hoping he would like the Centry Arms/Canik because I have dry fired one and really wanted an opportunity to try one live fire – no go. Long story short, I made a little grimace when the lady handed him an STI Staccato in 9mm, but he really liked it and I couldn’t wait to try it out! He also liked the Sig P226, another one of my favorites, so he rented the STI and the Sig. They also had Nighthawks available, which if I was selfish, would have recommended so I could try, but pointed out they were probably beyond the normal budget.

Also available for him to try from what my other friend and I had brought were a Berretta 92FS, Sig P938 sub-compact, Springfield EMP4, Berretta PX4 Storm in 40 S&W, and an FNP in 40 S&W. So, seven models to sample.

He shot best with the STI and the Springfield 9mm 1911’s. Then he found out the prices! Lotus did not have an STI for sale nor would they commit to any future availability. They had a Springfield EMP4 available, but were basically at retail price.

So, after a trip to another local gun store, he is more strongly considering the Berretta 92FS, but looks like we may be forced to go back and rent a G17 or G19 for comparison. I’m still pulling for giving the the Canik a try. :slight_smile:

Kudos to the RO on duty. He had 30+ years’ experience as a firearms instructor and contributed greatly to supporting the inputs I had given my friend. BTW, I shot the STI and got +/- ½” grouping at 5 yards in rapid fire – I need one! :rofl:

(edited because emoticon’s did not post right)

6 Likes

I don’t get it… He shot best with Stacatto and would eventually end up with G19? :scream: :weary: :tired_face:

This is why we rent handguns and test them -> buy what shoot the best. Very first safety rule says: shoot what you are comfortable with :point_up:

Anyway, the most important - you have had definitely great day ! :+1:

1 Like

A lot of ways to look at that, I suspect a combination of sticker shock and lack of availability are major contributors. We also have to remember this is his first handgun and he is trying to drink from the fire hydrant at this point. And the 5 yards we were shooting is far beyond any self defense range he would encounter inside his travel trailer.

So, he has some research and thinking about it to do. At the end of the day, a Glock in hand is better than a Stacatto on a website.

Thanks Jerzy, all three of us did have a great time and our friend is taking good first steps.

3 Likes

Sorry I was so serious with 1st response when I woke up this morning.

What I meant to say was “I thought you loved Glocks :rofl:

3 Likes