Not Completely Sold On Polymer

Has anyone seen any info on polymer developments for pistols? I’ve been looking online for articles about improvements in strength and durability, and if any maker has made them, or is using someone else’s. I’ll buy polymer if that’s my only choice, but I wonder about this and other synthetic materials.

With the military modular pistol trials, the major players have started using metal drop in “chassis.” The polymer is more just a handle now. That said, many older polymer guns are still in perfect, albeit used, condition.

5 Likes

What specifically are you concerned about?

A lot of reputable manufacturers now have polymer pistols and rifles. There are still serviceable polymer pistols that have been around 50 years (HK VP70), pistols with hundreds of thousands of rounds through them, and quite a few with a combination of age and rounds fired.

Police and military use have proven that they are perfectly suited to a lot of different operating conditions.

I personally have a Gen 2 Glock purchased in the '80s that still does range duty regularly. I don’t see any degradation in functionality or performance between that and a Gen 5 that I recently acquired.

1 Like

Amen - I was just curious - who uses the drop-in chassis?

1 Like

Most of the big players. S&W, Ruger, Glock, Sig(they got the contract), FNH. I’m not sure about H&K and Beretta, but I believe they do as well.

1 Like

As much as I like my metal framed pistols, I have to say that I prefer carrying a plastic fantastic. IMO, the best way to get over that hump, is to get a plastic pistol that has a long track record of reliability with LE, military, and/or government agencies. For me, that was an HK USP, but I’m sure that Glock is another good brand.

I think you will find that there are good and bad examples of both metal pistols, and plastic pistols.

3 Likes

Most notably Sig Sauer in their P320/M17 line.

1 Like

@KURT17 . I have a polymer frame SCCY CPX-2. A cheap polymer gun. 3,000+ rounds downrange trouble-free, until just recently needing to replace the ejector. My point? The polymer has not been a weak point in my gun, as it attaches to a metal chassis. Again, after 5 years and 3,000 rounds, my polymer shows no sign of wear. It does eliminate a good amount of weight from the gun, making it very comfortable for all-day carry. In my experience I’ve encountered nothing that would cause me to doubt the durability or functionality of a polymer pistol.

1 Like

I don’t have experience with the others but with the p320, I have three different ‘grip modules’ and 2 slides. Just move the fcu-sig’s term for the drop in chassis- between them. Basically 3 sizes of gun for the price of 1.5.

2 Likes

Plastic guns are very easy to maintain as well! Polymer has proven itself for sure.

1 Like