Cleaning polymer pistols

Someone said traditional gun solvents were bad for polymer, and would effect the life. I have used Hoppe’s No. 9 for 50 years, because my dad swore by it. Should I use otherwise?

How about lube? Oil, grease, or CLP?

1 Like

We’ve used Hoppe’s #9 for forever, and I recently switched to Gunzilla, which I like. I’ll be adding some Machinegunner’s Lube (it’s on order) for my firearms that are particularly sensitive to reduced function if you shoot them after the oil burns off.

We’ve never had any issues with the polymers and Hoppe’s, more than 20 years of usage… interested to see if anyone else has had issues.

My hubby is prone to use brake cleaner and motor oil, if nothing else is handy. He’s had glocks since there were glocks, and no polymer issues.

3 Likes

There is no difference to clean and lube steel and polymer firearm. The wear points are always the same - steel vs steel.
It’s good idea to use “green/no toxic” solvent just to protect your health, not a firearm, and synthetic lube.
But still the same - no harm to polymer.
What exactly do you use - it’s your personal preference.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried Shooter Lube? They keep showing up on my Facebook feed. Shooter Lube. Great reviews but they may just be homegrown. Thanks

2 Likes

@ThatSoccerDude I think it may be in this thread here Let's talk lube! Get your minds out of the gutter or this one What's better than Hoppe's 9?

Machine gunners lube has come up repeatedly as a persistent lube, even after the oil burns off.

1 Like

I give all my guns a light cleaning with Hoppe’s #9 every time I shoot them. About every 1,000 rounds or so, I break them down and run them through my sonic cleaner. Works great and never had any issues with polymers. I also use the sonic cleaner in my reloading operation to clean my equipment and brass.

1 Like

Polymer frames have been around long enough that if any of the common solvents in use like Hoppe’s #9 or Balistol, etc. were harmful to the frames we would have heard about it by now.

3 Likes

I use Hoppe’s #9 primarily but have used Shooter’s Choice in the past. Find both work fine.

1 Like

I use shooter lube cleaner and oil exclusively on all my firearms. It is outstanding. Cuts cleaning time in half.

2 Likes

Remington cleaner, Lucas lube.

1 Like

Be sure you use only solvents and oils labeled as “polymer safe” on the lower receiver.

For the rest, I’m a big fan of Montana Extreme and any of the foaming bore cleaners for cleaning when it’s time for a real deep cleaning otherwise I just blow the carbon and dust/sand out with a polymer safe spray solvent.

For lubes either Lucas or Machinegunners Lube and maybe just a light touch of mystic High Temp bearing grease on the slide rails.

1 Like

this is the first opinion pointing "polymer"solvents…
I didn’t even know they exist.
So, what is the truth?

Personally I believe, that all new solvents on market (and all good, branded) are already modified to be used on polymer.
Polymer frames have been long time in use and I couldn’t find anybody on Internet forums saying “it ruined my frame”…

1 Like

The truth is if you use a solvent that’s not polymer safe it will start to melt or otherwise damage your polymer gun.

I don’t come here to mislead people and I always tell the truth.

2 Likes

I use Shooter Lube. Stuff is simple and works. No odor. Reasonably priced too.

3 Likes