best 10mm handgun

looking for 10 mm handgun. seen a lot of problems with polymer handguns. looking for iwb daily carry .

7 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Samuel86. You’re definitely in the right place to get advice on everything about firearms. I don’t have any experience in carrying a 10mm on a daily basis, but I’m sure there are many who will be able to assist.

We’re glad to have you here!

6 Likes

@Samuel86 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you. :slightly_smiling_face:
How big is your bank account for this project?

7 Likes

why do you want a 10mm Pistol,to be honest I have never fired one let alone handled one,I have always preferred a 45,that is what i have used since 1964

5 Likes

@Samuel86
Welcome to the family brother and God bless you.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Samuel86 !

What problems have you seen with polymer handguns? I have read a lot of good things about the Glock 20. That is probably what I will buy if I ever take another extended backcountry trip in brown bear country. But 10mm wouldn’t be my first choice for everyday carry unless I lived in Alaska.

6 Likes

Colt Delta Elite

Edit: for IWB, I would consider Galco V-Hawk

For basic concealed carry, Galco Concealed OWB:

10 Likes

Not many people would criticize a 40 short and weak for everyday carry. The 10 is just stronger. In fact some of the economic 10mm ammunition options are equal to 40s&w. It will be expensive to practice with but I hear dry fire is affordable.

If I was starting fresh, and wanted 10mm I would look at aftermarket barrels where you could convert it to 357 Sig and 40 S&W with a barrel swap. Then look at the pistols that have aftermarket options and pick the one that fits the hand best. But that’s just my approach.

6 Likes

Get you one of these and a 10mm barrel to go with it.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @Samuel86
I never had an issue with my G20.
I talked to someone tonight at the range that bought a 1911 10mm and loves it.
Hth

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Samuel86. Happy New Year. Glad you’ve finally joined; we’ve been waiting on you … to come, join, learn, and share to help make us all better responsibly Armed citizens.

6 Likes

I got nothing here. I was feeling lonely and left out for the Welcome Wagon. So, as others have mentioned, welcome :grin:. I have 10 .45 caliber handguns. If I needed more oomph I would go to +p rounds. Though I did go through a Miami Vice phase and thought about a 10mm. But Uncle Sam paid for all the .45 I could stand. So that phase passed. But not before I, unfortunately, bought quite a few silk, pastel colored T-shirts. :smiley::joy::rofl:

9 Likes

all i carry is a 45 and a 9mm in an ankle holster and both the 45 and 9mm have drt rounds that basically explode when liquid is there,basically the same as we drilled holes in 168 grain 308,and put mercury and sealed the hole with wax in the unit I was with,and they exploded when we hit the target also.

1 Like

I have a pair of the Springfield XD-M Elite 4.5" in the 10mm and also a remington R1 1911 6" in 10mm. They are all excellent shooting guns. The R1 is the most accurate handgun I have owned yet. I have consistently hit prarie dogs at 40-75 yards with it. The only issue with it out of the box was it would sling the brass about 40 feet behind me. Heavier recoil and hammer springs fixed that and now its about 8 feet.

I used the have a Glock 20 but I traded it for a rifle a few years back. It just felt sloppy when I shot it. Even with heavier springs I could feel it slam against the slide stop andd it never was very accurate.

Springfield makes a shorter version of the XD-M that is easily concealable. I think its a 3.8" model. They ran a 10,000 round torture test on one if their 4.5" models when the were first introduced. The pistol worked flawlessly.

My biggest concern and it’s why I dont carry a 10mm for people defense is pass through. More power is nice but I wouldn’t want to hit someone or something on the other side. I do carry one regularly when im hunting though.

4 Likes

Unless you are interested in the history (you probably already know if you’re considering 10mm CC) skip past the first half of this article and get to the list, it is not all inclusive, but a pretty good list nonetheless:
Best 10mm Pistols & Handguns: Go Big or Go Home - Pew Pew Tactical

2 Likes

I have a Sig P220 Legion 10mm DA/SA that I like. Really accurate and the recoil is very manageable. A little big and heavy for an EDC though. The Sig P320 X-TEN might be worth a look. I have a 9mm P320 that’s a decent gun. 10mm may not be the best for protection because of the risk of over penetration. .40 or .45 would still provide serious stopping power with less over penetration threat.

2 Likes

Not picking on you @Crockett , I have seen that comment many times, but you have to search high and low to find 10mm ammo that produces the energy Colonel Jeff Cooper originally intended for it. In other words, a lot of 10mm ammo on the shelf today has 40S&W muzzle energy levels. Not saying you can’t find higher powered 10mm, just saying there is a good selection of lower powered available.

BTW, seems like we are talking amounst ourselves? I have not seen any thing beyond the original post from @Samuel86

3 Likes

I don’t feel your picking on me at all. That’s how a discussion goes.

That’s OK. He started an interesting thread that we can run with.

Just did a quick comparison and I’m finding that even the cheapest 10mm ammo is still faster with more energy than more premium .40 and .45, elevating the risk of over-penetration. 10mm is a great back-up gun for hunting. For daily carry, just not so sure.

2 Likes

The topic is picking a 10mm handgun to carry.

As we usually do sooner or later we veer off course. So far we don’t know any other details past the first post. His location and situation might be well served with 10mm power. We don’t know though.

1 Like

He said he is looking for an IWB daily carry. Already offered my thoughts on my 10mm handgun. Added some consideration about 10mm for daily carry for him to consider in hopes of avoiding a tragedy with over penetration in the event he needs to use it in a public setting.

3 Likes