best 10mm handgun

Sorry, I will try to stay back on topic after this post, but Hornady Critical Defense is 506 ft-lbs in 40S&W vs. 523 ft-lbs in 10mm.
40 S&W 165 gr FTX® Critical Defense® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
10mm Auto 175 gr FlexLock® Critical Duty® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Colonel Jeff Cooper’s original loading was 200 grains at 1200 ft/sec, or 635 ft-lbs energy.

2 Likes

Understood. And it’s a point worth considering.

I can spend days on the farm with a trip into town being a gas station or feed store or maybe a dollar store. Usually a maximum of three to five people at any of those destinations. The flat trajectory of 10mm would be very useful if a chicken stealing coyote was passing through. The op could be in a similar situation and may have already picked 10mm for a reason. Maybe concealed carry is just for not having the inconvenience of leaving it in the truck at the gas station?

3 Likes

Not picking on you Shawn or any other person.

My understanding is higher velocity causes greater expansion and less penetration. So wouldn’t 10mm have less chance of over penetration than the same bullet propelled by the smaller 40s&w cartridge?

Isn’t that the dilemma for 380acp? I recall complaints about it over penetrating if the bullet fails to expand and under penetration if the bullet does expand.

2 Likes

49 ounces of Hi-point at your service. :muscle: I think the gun costs about $5/oz…edit $4.60/oz.Hi-Point® Firearms: 10mm Handguns

I’m waiting for the “yeet cannon” graphics package. :wink:

4 Likes

rockisland or armscor meets your requirements all metal…

and different capacities IIRC

they’re also located in the U.S. state of Nevada…

3 Likes

:cricket: :cricket: :cricket: From the OP.
:thinking:

3 Likes

Less than a day…I hear some folks have to work for a living.

Fwiw, I considered a 10 mm conversion for my G21, but ammo price kept me away as I like having…uh,more than a box on hand.
Later on, interested again, conversion kit no longer available…then I found the .460 Rowland conversion…and fortunately the fever passed, and I stuck to my 9 and 45…
Had a friend who owns every Glock, and only carries the 10mm models. He got stabbed a bunch of times by a hitch hiker years ago, and overkill is not in his vocabulary.

2 Likes

I carry a RIA 10mm.Extremely accurate,high capacity and heavy enough the recoil ain’t bad at all.A little big for iwb…but I like full size firearms.That makes me a type…so I hear.

5 Likes

To a point, yes. But there is a limit to that. Bullet weight and construction plays a huge part in it also. If it were universally true, my 7mm that pushes a 160 grain bullet at 3000 fps wouldnt be able to break the hide of an animal.

I can almost guarantee a 165 gr. bullet from my 10mm running approx. 1400 fps would pass through a body, of course depending on clothing, bone, barriers, ect. The human body isnt really all that thick normally. Unless you are like these guys

4 Likes

I don’t have any personal experience with 10mm but I think penetration/over penetration would depend as much on bullet design as weight and velocity.

A quick check of the lucky gunner ammo test shows the closest bullet to your listed parameters is a 10mm Hornady XTP 155gr at 1344fps giving an average of 14” of penetration in heavy cloth covered ballistic gel. That may or may not go through someone depending on variables but there are several 9mm JHP and probably even a .380 or two with more penetration potential.

I’m sure someone could design a 10mm high velocity mid to high weight round that opens up so rapidly that it only penetrates 5 or less inches if they wanted to.

4 Likes

Guess I’m that type also. :smirk:

5 Likes

Thats why I said almost. And depending on clothing, bone, etc. Nothing but death and taxes is EVER 100% guaranteed.

3 Likes

Right!
That’s why I said “the same bullet.”

Varmint bullets at 30-06 speeds act more like traditional mushrooming hunting bullets at 300 blackout velocity.

1 Like

I use a Hornady Varmint round in .300 Blackout as a primary HD.

3 Likes

@William191
I believe you posted this in the wrong topic.

Might have, I’ll delete it

1 Like

No Biggy @William191 it has happened to me.

1 Like

Just remember 10 mm was the FBI’s pick…they only backed off because most folks couldn’t comfortably, accurately, and quickly shoot it. Recoil got them (like any of the .357+ Magnum’s). Most folks who shoot Mag’s typically routinely use lighter, less punishing to shoot loads. The FBI backed off the loadings, wound up with lower power (which the then new .40 S&W equaled in a smaller package). There is nothing wrong with a 10, but you need to be sure you can shoot it comfortably and well. A heavier piece will help absorb the recoil (porting will help even more). If lighter loads are all you are going to use, then .40 or 9 or even .45 is probably a better choice. If full power is wanted or needed (even occasionally) then the 10 is fine. Light, plastic 10’s will not be fun or easy to shoot with full boat 10 mm.

3 Likes

Simple. SA XDM Elite. Wifey bought me one for an Alaska trip last year and carried it in a chest rig the whole time. It isn’t, however, something I would consider carrying IWB.

3 Likes

Although I have several 9mm, I am also “stuck” on .45ACP. I’ve been carrying them since the 80s, so why change now?

4 Likes