Thinking of using 10mm 1911 at USCCA courses

The main thing I feel is, you have the concern to protect yourself and loved ones.
Your taking classes for betterment.
If the choices you make are comfortable to you, thats great.
Welcome & keep pushing forward.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about ammo costs. Basic courses of any kind rarely have very many rounds fired. A person willing to buy and carry a 10mm should have no problem with ammo costs in a basic class.

Bring what you will carry/have for self defense.

And agree with above, highly recommend a gun that can be shot accurately and reliably one handed. But that goes for everyone. All if our carry guns should be rel iable and accurate-enough fired with one hand

6 Likes

If you could, see if you can take a folding chair for when you’re not on the firing line or want closer to it so your walk isn’t as long.

3 Likes

Or old school sti

2 Likes

First, I love your gun and if you show up at any of my classes with it I’ll personally ask to play with it myself. It’s NOT a handicap in any way and since I limit my students to 6-10 rounds per mag to encourage frequent mag changes.

You will NOT be handicapped in any way in any course I’m aware of. Enjoy.

BTW when I carry my personal 10mm I usually carry mags with 135-155 gr HP for SD and if I’m in the woods a few mags of 180gr solids for defense agains bigger stuff.

8 Likes

Also, when I do Concealed Carry classes I often carry full sized guns like my 1911s and Glock 17 for that moment when some mentions they are too big to carry concealed. I pull up my shirt and show mine.

That usually happens about 3-4 hours into the class and folks are often shocked the they didn’t know I had one of those under a thin shirt.

Then I’ll pull a 9mm AR pistol with a folding stock out of my small backpack. Also an allowed concealed carry pistol in my state.

5 Likes

This comes late. Use your 1911 to obtain the skills you need from these courses, but consider for the future a real-world choice for a carry-gun if you stick to the 10mm. As I mentioned before, the Grand Power P40L is a viable choice, and this company makes some really outstanding designs. The P40L comes with an intermediate-sized grip, a 5" rotary barrel, and a 14-round magazine. It’s DA/SA with a thumb-safety, and a 1-piece, solid-steel chassis - and ALL the controls are totally ambidextrous, if you want to train yourself to shoot with your off-hand, as you should. The internal machining is reputably impeccable, and the 'smith who built the gun has his initials stamped on the chassis - very few companies demand this level of accountability. Consider a different holster, too. I just ordered a customized FALCO A804 “Walker” - it’s a “4-in-1” IWB open-top with a sweat-guard and a rotary belt-clip that lets you adjust your cant for any position. I had them substitute nylon for the leather trim, and substitute a reinforced thumb-break for the sweat-guard - if I get what I want, the extra $$ is worth it. I’m sure there’re more choices out there in striker-fired pistols too, but eventually, I’d retire the 1911 for range-duty - to me, an SA with a grip-safety is a handicap, when these “gangstahs” are running around with Glocks they’ve stolen, or bought hot on the street. AMEN & FAREWELL

1 Like

P.S. - If you’re interested in a striker-fired pistol, look at the GLOCK G20 Gen4 Standard Model as a choice - it comes with a 4.61" barrel, interchangeable backstraps to customize your grip, a 15-round magazine and optional 10-round. It ain’t as pretty as others, but it has a reputation for being an all-business gun. FYI

3 Likes

A 10mm is going to be my next pistol purchase for sure. Im looking at the Ruger SR1911 in 10mm

4 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, what brand belt are you sporting?

2 Likes

We the people independence leather gun belt

5 Likes

How about a Ruger 8618 .45?

1 Like

Can’t afford any other guns is the problem. The only other one I have is ruger ec9s and that thing isnt accurate at all. I’m on social security disability and spent my savings on this 1911 and my holster

4 Likes

If you got 1911 and EC9s, why don’t you bring both to the class and test them.
3.1" barrel will never be accurate as 5" one… but with practice you may achieve similar results in defensive distances.

You need to find out which pistol is easier to use and faster with first accurate shot. This is what matters in self defense.
Basic pistol class will be perfect to make a decision.

9 Likes

Welcome to our community . I think you should use the pistol you will carry every day.

2 Likes

There is no problem. There s absolutely NOTHING wrong with your selected self defense option. The 1911 has been putting down bad guys decisively for over 100 years and the 10mm is an awesome chambering that offers you factory options that are good for 2 legged critters and up to bear. About as wide a range as you could ever get.

10 Likes

I’ve noticed some shooters that are used to full size firearms struggle with ultra thin micro firearms. Just a suggestion… When shooting the ultra thin firearms, I take care to squeeze the backstrap tightly between the Metacarpophalangeal joints on my thumb and index finger. For me, this works to get good accuracy from these thinner firearms. However, it also requires the dexterity to pull the trigger while maintaining this “pinch” without moving the sights off target. This might not work for everyone.

I might also suggest, if your finances are limited, that if you can’t get the Ruger to work for you either trade it in for another model/brand or get what you can from selling it back to the FFL (yes you’ll take a loss).

6 Likes

I think the 10mm is, as it will scare off most ppl from wanting a handgun My hands are so messed up anymore its hard to even load a magazine so I just said heck with it and bought myself a .32 the other day, a little slide in the pocket P32 and I put a pocket/ belt clip on it and its as accurate as can be.

3 Likes

I didnt get the post right sorry about that I was trying to get my dog to shut up lol. But I thought you were saying the instructor was wanting students to use the 10mm and I was like Wooa! What about the 115 lb little lady in the class, it could break her wrist! Lol. I shot one yrs ago and it belonged to my son an d I thot it was cool as heck, and it was a BREN! But now a days Id just say “no thanks Ill pass, I shot one before.” We …or mostly him used to love the big blasters and as soon as he got home from Iraq and Asscrackistan he got a Desert Eagle in .50 AE and it was a bone crusher ( reverence to a old motorcycle) it was pretty in polished dark black or whatever it was called I forgot. But its your party so pak whatever you prefer friend. Take care

3 Likes

Have you fired very many rounds thru that log splitter yet Sir. She is a beauty.

4 Likes