Classic Firearm Debates

.40 or 9mm?

Pistol or Revolver?

Glock or 1911? / Glock or Sig?

Concealed or Open Carry?

Hammer or striker fire?

What other class gun debates are out there?

1 Like

I don’t see this going anywhere productive.

1 Like

Why not, @AdamJ? Knowing about the classic debates can help new-to-firearms learn a lot.

1 Like

@Dawn, you’re absolutely right. But the only right answer is what’s right for you and your own personal needs/requirements. Wasn’t trying to poo poo you. I’ve just heard these arguments so much I get ill just thinking about them. How about a section titled Questions From New Shooters? I’d be all over that. Oh yeah and one last thing. .40’s the best.

2 Likes

AK vs AR
Special vs Magnum
Smith and Wesson vs Ruger
Steel/Aluminum case ammo vs Brass
9mm vs .45 acp
.357 mag vs 10mm

2 Likes

5.56 vs 2.23
55grn vs 62grn
Piston vs gas AR

Really want some AR guys have meltdowns the ever popular what ZERO do you use.

4 Likes

With or without thumb safety

4 Likes

You make an excellent point @AdamJ- I knew it would come out in conversation- just didn’t think it would be the first comment! :grin:

New gun or more ammo? It’s not an outward debate I have with anyone, but I spend way too many waking hours making a pro and cons list in my head about that.

3 Likes

Store bought ammo vs reloading press. I’ve done this internal battle for a couple of years. A decent reloading setup, costs as much as a nice gun. I’m getting a reloading press this spring. As soon as it’s a little nicer weather, I’m starting on a table for the press.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not going to buy as many tools for knife making anymore, and just reload.

1 Like

@45IPAC Just wondering if you’ve ever run the numbers to figure out how many rounds you’d have to reload to break even? I have a friend who reloads. I give him all my brass from my range trips. I asked him how much he figures it costs him to make one 9mm round. When he told me how much it costs plus the time it takes him to make a certain number of rounds, I told him it takes me five minutes with a click of the mouse to order twice as many rounds at the same price per round, with the UPS guy doing all the hard work.

I’m not doubting the benefits of doing reloads. If I had the space I’d probably do them myself. I think for him his thinking was cost savings, which for the amount he does, isn’t happening. As a matter of fact, he’s still behind as he hasn’t recouped his initial investment in the equipment yet.

2 Likes

I did run the numbers. If I was going to just be shooting 9, or even just shooting 45 acp, it wouldn’t be worth it. I shoot a lot of .357 mag. At 25 dollars a box, vs 11 dollars a box, the 500 I’m going to invest will be covered. Pair that with the prospect of a big bore revolver for hunting, like either a 454 or a 480, and it’s compounds pretty quick. Even a 44 mag would be a savings of 70% over buying factory ammo.

3 Likes

Nice. I was just curious. When I asked him how much each round cost, it seemed like it was the first time he figured it out, then realized it wasn’t really worth it for him, at least not right now. I suppose there’s always the benefit that if it ever becomes difficult to get 9mm, or Massachusetts decides to really limit how much ammo we can buy in a certain time period, he’ll have the means to reload his own.

3 Likes

I never really looked into reloading, until I got a 10mm, and now that I just bought an AR again (had one a while ago, had to sell it) reloading is looking better and better. Itll also help with shooting my M1A more, as well as my 16 gauge.

2 Likes

:rofl: I think that’s called “caliber baiting” :rofl: :rofl:

I think that depends on how many rounds you’re shooting and what speed you acquire in reloading. When my hubby was competing he’d go through 2000+ rounds a week training. He can reload about 1000 rounds in an hour once he’s configured the press. He trained reloading like he trains shooting… accuracy of movement, development of muscle memory, speed, efficiency. Paid for his big Dillon press pretty quickly.
Aside from that, having lived through a couple of ammo shortages there is an essential utility to being able to roll your own.

2 Likes

@dawn, adding to the debate list:
Buy new or used
On- or off-body carry
Rifle, shotgun or pistol for home defense

2 Likes

Buy new or used
As long as it functions properly it doesn’t matter to me, I have bought both

On- or off-body carry
Depends on where I am going, what I am doing and what I am wearing.

Rifle, shotgun or pistol for home defense
Whats wrong with having one of each handy?

1 Like