The Restroom Dilemma

Thats an awesome carry holster Dawn. I wouldn’t even know there is a gun in something like that if I never saw one before. Manufacturers are getting pretty creative. I carry my XDE in a sticky holster and it is really comfortable with the heat coming. Only thing I don’t like about it is having to remove it from my waistband everytime I use the restroom. Any tips on how to hide it discreetly when I use a public bathroom? I use a stall with a lockable door but even using a stall I find that challenging and Im afraid if I put it in my lap it will end up getting dropped in the toilet. LOL

[This thread started as part of another conversation here: Trip Picts of Traveling When Carrying - #29 by GunRangeGreg]

1 Like

@Dawn , definitely looking for more info on @Lakerfan34 s question.

3 Likes

Bathrooms are always a challenge! I use a sticky as well when I’m not traveling or on the bike. The top suggestions by carriers usually are:

• on the flat top of a toilet paper holder
  • on the flat back of the toilet (if it’s a toilet similar to a residential toilet)

But they are not going to be very secure or reliable - and a gun out of sight not on your body can cause issues.

Here’s a great (and funny) blog article about Bathroom Blunders:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/bathroom-blunders/

To give you the general jist: take the farthest stall with the full wall, put the gun on your shoe and cover it up with your pants and you use the facilities. You’ll never forget it and you’ll always know where it is.

4 Likes

I like using the new “family bathrooms”. It’s usually one room, you’re by yourself, it’s much larger and gives you more privacy so you don’t have to worry about being discreet. I never use a urinal, mostly being semi-paranoid. I don’t have my back “exposed” in a stall, so to speak.

6 Likes

Awesome, awesome. That is really helpful information. Thank you for replying back to me on this. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

I made this it’s own thread because I think a bunch of people have this dilemma and may have some additional input!

2 Likes

If you’re carrying AIC - Appendix Inside (carry) Corset - using one of the purpose-designed carry corsets or tanks, the loo is not a problem. Your EDC stays snugly right where it belongs.

If you’re carrying AIL - Appendix Inside (carry) Leggings - even the purpose built ones might be a little more of an issue. The ones I have from Dene Adams are pretty substantial and will keep your EDC secured even when you lower your drawers, so I think it wouldn’t be necessary to remove your firearm. At least that’s working just fine for me.

2 Likes

A good gun belt stops the gun from flopping over when ya need to pop a squat on the public porcelain.

For those guys who wear foundation garments, pull the waistband of your fruit of the looms up over the grip of your gun, now all someone looking under the stall will see is your tighty whities. See how easy that is! The other option is to not drop trou below your ankles for those who fly free.

5 Likes

Very true if you’re not using a sticky holster.

@Zee, I’ll have to try one of the Can-Can holsters at some point!

2 Likes

@Dawn, we’ve got a can-can on order for my granddaughter - I’ll let you know how she likes that. Personally, I’m having a huge crush on the Dene Adams Carry Tank - it’s like a corset but with shoulder straps and a full-mesh back. cooler that a lot of options, stays put, vanishes your EDC. Pretty much like having a gun-hug all day. and no need to do anything intricate when you visit the ladies’.

1 Like

Hey @Zee didnt you say at 1 of the ranges it was an outdoor woodsy restroom?? Just wondering where ya put the gun on that one!! Lol sorry I had to!

2 Likes

@Casey Yeah that one I think you’d have to worry about the mosquitoes making off with your firearm this time of year :laughing:

2 Likes

@Dawn here’s the Can-Can holster review

1 Like

I try to think about where I’m going, for how long, …
if I expect to need a bathroom where I need to sit while I’m away from my car… I’ll carry a small backpack or little nylon drawstring backpack all day, and when in bathroom it slips in there and hangs on the hook in the stall. Reholster before stepping out of the stall, problem solved. I imagine a purse could work for the females reading!

1 Like

As someone who carries a purse on occasion. I never hang anything on that hook on the door. Too darn easy for someone to just reach over and snag your hanging goods and make off with them while you try to get your pants up.
Maybe it’s not a thing in the men’s bathroom but it sure is in the ladies.
That said, a purse can be managed in your lap if needed, I expect that would work for you as well.

2 Likes

I’m gonna ignore this opportunity for a good one liner. :grin:

3 Likes

@BrophE :rofl:
Man if you can hang them on the door hook, I dont even want to know :rofl:

1 Like

Bahahaha @Zee

1 Like

Well, thanks for the comic relief, @BrophE! :blush:

I agree with @Zee, I never put anything on that hook in the bathroom - unless I can secure it there. A drawstring back pack woven around the two prongs of the hook can be much harder to steal. But at that point, I’d rather put the drawstring backpack on my lap or keep it on my back.

2 Likes

These (@Dawn and @Zee) are great points! Things I never thought of… maybe stealing from stalls is a thing exclusive or almost exclusive to ladies rooms (I’ve never heard anyone else mention anything being stolen from inside a locked stall while in use… doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen or that it’s worth the risk!)… but now that you’ve pointed it out, I might discontinue THAT practice… or something.

Another thing I thought of is: sometimes the handicap stall has a fold-down changing table inside of it. I’ve set my firearm there before. It’s not in MY reach but it’s also NOT reachable by anyone else without climbing and/or busting the door.

While I’m not in a wheelchair, I often require a cane and haven’t been harassed for using that stall before.

3 Likes