TAURUS for concealed carry?

Looking to get a concealed carry. Nothing fancy. No optics and attachments. Just want a pure concealed carry and take it to the range once a month to stay fresh with it. Wondering on Taurus because they seem to be the cheapest and I’m slightly on the broken end. Thanks in advance!

Ps I did hear they are horrible but that is from one single source

4 Likes

This is a decent firearm for the money.

6 Likes

I have 4 Taurus handguns, we had trouble with 2 but got them fixed. My stepdaughter has the G3C shot great out of the box and she likes it. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

G3C is way to go. :+1: The best handgun below $300 .

4 Likes

I have carried a Taurus G2S (the single stack brother of the G2C) for 4 years. I have never has a problem with it that cannot be attributed to 'operator error.

6 Likes

I’ve heard good things about the G3 and G2 line👍 Also, s&w is doing rebates on firearms now. Up to $100 off, depending on the firearm. I think the shield plus is $75 off.

7 Likes

It seems like Taurus has improved their quality control over the past several years. I know two people with newer Taurus pistols and they haven’t had any issues.

Regardless what you get just make sure to run a good amount of practice ammo through it as well as a couple boxes of whatever self defense ammo you plan to use with the magazines you are going to carry. If it makes it through that without any hiccups you should be good to go.

8 Likes

I like the looks of the S&W Equalizer, but alas, it’s not one of the eligible rebate items.

2 Likes

Very fond of Taurus these days. Carry a mill 3 g2 9mm for years bought 2 the price was so low. only had issues with hp’s with the rubber insert catching on the feed ramp everything else runs smoothly.

3 Likes

Taurus has come a long way. I bought a 2Gc for my wife-- replaced sites and worked out the trigger “catch”. I have also helped two 70 yo ladies get 2Gcs. As with any firearm, one must practice with it and get to know its characteristics.

There are also many reviews on Youtube…

4 Likes

I hate to say it but a 50% “had trouble with” isn’t an uncommon report for Taurus.

Used Glocks and Smith and Wessons can be had pretty inexpensively, and is where I’d look

That said the G2C and G3C are really popular, and most owners don’t shoot them a lot so large round count durability is not much of a concern (not everybody needs that)

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard that. A few people have come into the shop and wanted one, but the lack of rebate has been a deal breaker for a couple. One, despite my warning, bought a SCCY. Not that they are universally bad…I may have just gotten a unicorn.

4 Likes

Last month, I think there was a sale on the 43x at our shop. I was tempted, but I just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger. If only they made a 1911 :pinched_fingers:

2 Likes

Try Ruger for affordable American made quality pistols.
https://www.ruger.com/

5 Likes

PSA dagger is pretty sweet :eyes: also technically not a Glock :joy:

4 Likes

I own a Taurus 1911 style 9mm and it is my favorite handgun. It’s been broken in well and has been very dependable. It requires a little more love than more modern guns. I keep it clean and oiled and it always goes bang.

4 Likes

Can’t speak to their semiautos, but over the last 10 years or so, their revolvers have been great. I have six different models, and all have been quality.

5 Likes

My Army buddy has a Taurus G3C and has not had a moments trouble with it. I have fired it and found it easy to shoot and reliable through 300 rounds.

I carry a Sig P365 and highly recommend it. It is a terrific pistol in every regard. More expensive of course, but a used one in good shape would serve you very well.

5 Likes

I have a question or two or something if you don’t mind. Are you interested in Taurus because they seem cheapest, or because it’s a cost/reliability balance, are you already set on a Taurus? If set on Taurus, continuing to read is unnecessary lol. Second, What size firearm are you looking for? You said for CC, but everyone is different. For instance, I can conceal a whole AR under a hoodie and jeans with little to no printing, whereas my buddy is a twig and can’t seem to hide a bic pen without printing. Third, what caliber? 9mm is cheaper to shoot than 45, usually has more capacity if you’re in a free state, and have more options usually. The reason I ask is we can list decent budget friendly firearms all weekend, but it helps to know what exactly you’re looking for in said firearm. There is a plethora of budget friendly firearms that are reliable. Some have already been listed, and as @Nathan57 mentioned, there is also the used firearm route that can also hold the possibility of acquiring a higher price firearm at a lower budget cost. @Nathan57 's option also requires a little patience, shopping around, and being good with “new to you” instead of “new”. It’s a good option but if you can’t accommodate that, it’s not the best option for you.

5 Likes

My wife has a G3C. Many rounds through it and no real problems. The front sight post had somehow come loose but was a very easy fix. No problems after that with both range and defense ammo.
It did get recently get supplanted by a fancy looking Glock 43X, but that was more because of the look than anything else. Pink sugar skulls was something she really wanted :hushed:

3 Likes