Tattoos - whatcha got?

I feel like tattoos would be bad for me. I’d labor over the just the right one and finally get it, then 5 years later I’d have 100 of them and start a side business as a certified tattoo artist…
…Kinda like what happened with guns. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

People like to get outraged about all sorts of stuff. I got a lot of crap for my 2 earrings (ok, stud and ring), then it was head shaving (20 years ago). Now people pay no attention to it.

I like the idea of getting them where you go on vacation. Mine tend to follow along with life events, or perhaps the way I feel about things.

On the plus side, the artist that I have been going to for the last 15 years knows I carry, and is ok with that. So does he. Great guy, and nice as all get out. Scary looking though, and big! Runs a squeaky clean shop, which is pretty hard in that industry.

2 Likes

^^^ THIS right here!

I stressed over getting the second hole in one ear for a year before I did it :flushed: … now I’ve 9 of them… people are like “eh” :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I have one piercing, haven’t put anything in it in over 10 years and I have one tat, a Cross of Lorraine over my heart.

1 Like

You know, they both have the same gravitas!
I wonder why I never realized that before…

2 Likes

This was taken just after the final session (the whole thing took a little over a year).

It started out with the dragon head breathing fire on the shoulder.

Then added the body and wings which goes across part of my back.

Next was the full sleeve which is a burning village and field with some knights on horseback and a Wizard casting a spell.

If you see me in Kansas City and ask I will show off the sleeve but I dont think I will be taking my shirt off (you can see enough fat in the picture).

9 Likes

At m first real Navy command my roommate in the barracks was a lad older than me with a bunch of random tattoo’s. I was 18 he was 22 and therefore a “mentor”. As we sat around one night drinking beer and telling lies the topic of tattoo’s came up. He looked me dead square in the eye and said "If you want a tattoo, get it drawn out on paper and mail it to yourself. When you get it back in the mail add one year to the date and write “Do Not open until XYZ date. If you still want THAT tattoo go and get it. If not frget it, AND NEVER put a girls name on your body unless it’s your kid”

I have about 30 envelopes with drawings in them, I don’t have a tattoo.

Wise words IMHO.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

I was over sixty when I started mine

2 Likes

And re-popularized in this century by John Mortimer in his “Rumpole” books; also the subsequent BBC series based on the books.

2 Likes

In my case it would have been a couple of firearms and lots of ammo for them (I am not sorry I had it done). I did wait until I could afford it, not like so many who start something and then not have the money to get it finished.

2 Likes

Would love to get one, just have no clue what to get… Or where to put it. LOL, probably a badly worded post.

2 Likes

Don’t have one, thought about it, being a diabetic, I already get enough needle sticks a day. I think an artist would turn me down because of my illness anyways.

3 Likes

I wanted one for a while, but I didn’t know what to get either. When I got divorced my kids were teenagers and I knew they were growing up and moving out and on with their lives. I told my daughter I was thinking of getting a tattoo and she said, “It has to have a tree in it, you and your love of trees”. She was right - and I love to write. So the tree growing out of the book with my three kids playing in it represents the story of my life so far… with my kids in a much more innocent time.

I knew it was the right one and had no doubts about getting it.

6 Likes

It reminds me I am only as old as I let myself be and that I ain’t dead yet. It’s an entire sleeve that took about 7 hours. Amazing artist. Will be getting right arm done with Taz and Bugs Bunny next.

That was literally my next gun and I spent on tattoo instead.

8 Likes

^^^ nice :slight_smile: I agree :grin:

1 Like

This is the last one that I got.

I have the whole right side of my back done with a pirate ship and my kids names in banners under it. Since it has my kids names on it I won’t post it for their sake. I also have a 25 year old flash tattoo of a wolf with the background of mountains and the moon on my left should.

4 Likes

As my Father in law used to say, “I never got drunk enough to get a tattoo”.

4 Likes

My hubby has one from Vietnam, he did the artwork and the whole squad he was in charge of got them. It’s a combination of the special forces de oppresso liber with banner, sword and crossed arrows, and a medieval European dragon. It was done the old fashioned way, with a tapper and rubbed-in ink by a Vietnamese village tattoo guy. It has some significant scaring under some of the lines, but his body eats tattoos over time and it had gotten really blurry.

About 15 years ago he had it cleaned up and colored (the original was just black outline) and… now it’s really blurry again. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I never understood why people colored their hair but it happens everyday.

2 Likes

Latest. Too much? :wink:

8 Likes