Take the long route around Colorado. Gov. repeals state preemption

Here comes that patchwork of rules/regs that nobody can possibly keep track of, let alone comply with.

4 Likes

Yeah, always wanted to visit Colorado, not so much now.

5 Likes

What a mess. Think of all the unconstitutional measures that are going to be enacted by municipal politicians.

6 Likes

Like untangling a bird’s nest while still reeling in a fish.

2 Likes

My wife and I are heading west in July and I have built the trip to go around Colorado just because of their reciprocity rules. I figured I would spend my money in the states that honor my carry permit whether I carry or not. I do the same with stores that have the “no guns allowed” signs in the windows.

There are plenty of great states and places to see without going to the states that don’t recognize my carry permit.

5 Likes

Definitely a nightmare for anyone traveling in CO. The best defense against this is for 2A protecting organizations to bring up legal cases against every unconstitutional regulation these towns pass. If you can’t beat them bankrupt them!

3 Likes

Colorado is a beautiful place worth visiting. Geographically speaking it is probably over 90% pro 2A. They are just outnumbered by the hoplophobes in Denver and it’s outskirts.

5 Likes

I enjoy Colorado. Unfortunately, the state has a history of certain municipalities enacting “laws” that are abusive to people’s civil liberties. I personally know a few people whose lives have been forever disrupted after suffering physical and financial beatdowns from an overzealous constabulary that had been enabled by pernicious and greedy city fathers. None of these cities benefit from a nickel of my discretionary spending. I will monitor the progress or lack thereof in the state and will vote with my feet and my wallet. That’s pretty much the only way to affect change in this day and age.

5 Likes

With Illinois Resident & Utah Non-Resident it was already on my places to avoid!

2 Likes

You know, I think we’re quick to say things about politicians like “this guy’s an idiot,” but in this case, it’s really a very clever move – evil, but clever.

That “bankrupt them” knife cuts both ways. It’s easier to bring a lawsuit against an abusive law for an entire state, but against multiple municipalities, it becomes like individually swatting thousands of mosquitoes, and quite expensive… unless the plaintiffs can successfully sue for legal fees.

5 Likes

Your point is valid. But the municipalities also have limited funds and their constituents may eventually get miffed if their taxes keep going up because their elected officials keep enacting clearly unconstitutional laws.

For the lawyers here- is it possible to file civil suits against municipalities that violate your rights?? Also couldn’t you name multiple municipalities in the same suit if they are all violating a similar right??

3 Likes

I have been to Colorado several times and I agree it is a great state, however, I will go other places now and spend my money since there are a lot of other great places to visit and vacation.

6 Likes

I’m not a lawyer. I’ve worked with plenty though. I believe the suit thing has to come from someone with “standing”—a person who has actually suffered harm as a result of the violation. From there, I don’t understand the mechanism of how another person can make a claim against another municipality for the same law unless they have standing. But I do believe there is an eventual mechanism. I just don’t know what it is. And I’m pretty sure it isn’t inexpensive.

3 Likes

Maybe the tactic would be to pick a few choice municipalities and bankrupt them as examples?

Thinking about this, imagine the decision process the governor had to take before signing this into law. By repealing state preemption, he has ceded some of his authority and the legislature’s to a bunch of mayors and city councils. For a power and control hungry politician, that’s a pretty big deal, although it’s not like he really trusts these underling politicos – the law only allows municipal regulation that is more restrictive of gun rights, not less.

3 Likes

Would think that denying people the right to defend themselves and practice their 2A protected rights would instantly give millions of people standing?? Or does someone need to be sent to jail for owning/carrying or shot in the street while being defenseless before they have a case?

1 Like

That’s why we need lawyers. I guess you can’t sue on a hypothetical.

3 Likes

Now that. That’s there is Patriot. @Robert15

1 Like

Standing is a tricky thing, I think. Because voting in any state during a national election certainly has an impact on other states’ citizens, from a lay perspective we might think anyone then would have standing, yet SCOTUS tossed Texas’s lawsuit contesting the 2020 election, ruling it did not have standing.

I’m sending up the @MikeBKY signal!

2 Likes

I see this as the governor attempting to remain neutral on the subject, trying to keep his hands clean. If worst laws are passed by the mayor/city who will the peoples be angry or upset with?

2 Likes

Again I ask this question. WHY DO Y’ALL KEEP ELECTING THESE MORONS TO OFFICE?? OVER AND OVER AGAIN!