Can I take My Gun To Colorado under these circumstances

I live in Kansas, I don’t have a concealed carry permit in my state, but am signed up for class before we leave. I won’t have the license before my planned vacation. I believe I’m not able to take my 17 round gun (due to a new gun control law? in CO), but want to take my wife’s 8 shot in a gun safe-- portable lock box to have a gun in our vacation rental just in case ‘the Manson family’ kicks down the cabin rental door. Can I do this and not get into trouble or does just having the gun in CO w/o the license break the law? If I have passed the concealed carry class in my state, but don’t have the paperwork/ LICENSE back yet, does it help me at all. What about carrying when hiking in deserted areas? Something else to think about.

2 Likes

Check out this post. Good luck. :us:

Colorado governor signs bill allowing cities to set their own gun…

2 Likes

oh, okay, thank you for that. Looks like I just need to check the county/city/town that we will be in.

4 Likes

If you move to Colorado to a rural area can you bring your guns with you?

2 Likes

You also need to check the CO State laws for any transportation, storage, carry, and use regulations. As well as all the States in between if you are driving there. Look into the TSA requirements for storage and check in if you are flying.

3 Likes

@Jeff221 Also check here. :us:

ColoradoConcealed Carry Reciprocity Map & Gun Laws

View Updates: 2021-06-21

3 Likes

yes, I tried checking the reciprocity with Kansas, it says “with restrictions” but I’m still unclear what those restrictions are exactly.

1 Like

Welcome to the wild world of firearm laws. :grimacing:

1 Like

Also, I think that any restrictions that a cabin rental or condo rental would have about possessing guns, at most they could tell you you can’t stay there, however, I think it’s the same as those ‘no firearms’ signs you see at grocery stores and other public places, they can tell you ‘no guns’ and they can ask you to leave if they see you with a gun, but you haven’t broken a law if you have a gun–you just leave. True? I think it’s the same with vacation rentals–cabins, hotels, other vacation rentals. The worst case would be they see my gun and ask me to leave or keep it locked in my car.

2 Likes

In most places it would be trespassing to stay. some states can charge you with a misdemeanor. WI can.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Jeff221 , glad you could join us

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Jeff221 and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

No, taking the class doesn’t grant you any status. You’re an unlicensed person. You need to look up Colorado law for firearm carrying, transportation, etc., with this status in mind.

I’ve no idea about Colorado law, but as an example, California law allows someone with a hunting license, while hunting, to have a loaded firearm (plenty of restrictions around it). Prior to my CCW, I used this while hiking and dispersed camping so I could legally carry my loaded firearm with me either in National Forest, Army Core of Engineer forest area (around dams), or Bureau of Land Management (BLM) properties.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Thanks so much!!

2 Likes

This question came up in another group I’m in. I learned some things I didn’t know before.

Colorado is open carry, except Denver County. But, Colorado law allows carry in a vehicle.

Great summary of laws here: https://csp.colorado.gov/colorado-gun-laws

2 Likes

Awesome. Thank you! That answers a lot. However I’m not sure about going into a hotel with your gun ‘in plain site’. Does this mean you have to take it out of your case and show them? Or perhaps wear it open carry from car to room, making sure front desk person notices?

2 Likes

Call ahead from a friend’s phone and see what their firearm/OC policy is at the hotel.

If they are anti-firearms, then just unload and lock it up in a case and put the case in your luggage before you head into the hotel. Reverse the process when you leave the hotel each time.

If you’re staying multiple days, perhaps get a small grocery style bag or something to to keep the case in (less suspicious as you go in and out each time).

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes