Traveling Through California

Its always been a Debate/Issue that you legally can’t make any stops when traveling from point A to B in California. In order to stay complaint with federal laws. Which may be true but…

The state of California specifically says “If you’re a citizen of the United States over the age of 18, legally able to carry a firearm by your state” and “Temporarily in the State of California” (Visiting). As long as it’s unloaded and in a locked container (Penal Code 25610: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=25610)

Which legally means, as long as your not a resident of the state, and temporarily visiting. Your legally able to travel through the state, with a firearm. As long as you make sure its just in a locked container, etc.

Open discussion… am I right?

I think it’s the same if your a resident of CA. If no CCW permit from CA, it must be unloaded including empty mag, and locked up away from the driver (and likely any passengers too, ie: the trunk). If you move here and bring a weapon, you have to register it with CA DOJ. Don’t try to bring a 10+ pistol mag or a non-compliant AR however.

CA doesn’t recognize any other state’s permit either. CA stinks on this issue, and I live here… Arg.

But at least you can travel through (with a CA compliant weapon of course) and not have to leave it in AZ first.

1 Like

That has always been the thing that was unclear. If we can travel through California and still bring a firearm while stopping along the way.

I just bought the vaultek slider serious safe and wanted to permanently bolt it into the rail of my seat. And figured. I can just get up and go with no worries… stopping at multiple locations on my way up north without any issues.

I’m a Vegas Resident, so I should be classified as “Temporarily Visting”

Sucks it has to be unloaded, but I’d rather have one unloaded, than nothing with me at all.

Rail of your seat? That’s prob not ok in CA. Can’t be accessible to the driver. Period. Unless you have CCW permit from CA.

Is Kalifornia actually still apart of our constitutional republic? That’s just wrong! If you desire freedom, ESCAPE! Head east.
If you travel and infringe on any of their laws, you’ll be classified as a felon.

1 Like

Check out this link:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/federal-firearms-transportation-laws/

Fed Interstate 18 USC § 926A — Vehicle carry unloaded and secured
These sections of the code were intended to protect the passage of travelers (who can legally possess a firearm) to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm. The firearm must be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition can be readily accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

1 Like

That is 1 of 4 states I will never go to. (NY,NJ,MA,)