Visiting California or other states that may not reciprocate my Utah CCW permit

I have to visit California, specifically San Francisco, for a few days but I don’t want to go unarmed. I understand California has strict gun laws so I’m looking for some advise or ideas on how I can carry my firearm with me while still staying within the law… so with that said… any advise or ideas?

Now, I am aware that I can have my firearm in a locked container with loaded magazines not in the firearm in the same container… is there anything else I should know or any good advise to keep me within the law?

5 Likes

Hi @Ron_Christian! Welcome to the community.

I used to live in California and still have a lot of friends there. I have basically given up trying to bring a firearm other than to have at the hotel since their rules are crazy strict if you don’t have a license to carry.

Basically, you can only legally take the firearm between your domicile and a range. The firearm and magazine cannot have any ammunition inside them, they must be in a locked container and ammunition needs to be stored separately. Make sure you do not bring a magazine that is physically capable of holding more than 10 rounds. And do not bring any firearm classified as an “assault rifle” in California.

6 Likes

Welcome to the family! You’re in the right place!

4 Likes

Hello Christian! The short answer is, DON’T! California has no reciprocity with any other state’s license/permits. Therefore, if you carry here, while you may have a Utah license, you will be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor here in California. In addition, your firearm will likely never be returned as most departments make it impossible to reclaim your property back and instead just have it destroyed.

While that’s probably not what you wanted to hear…it is a misdemeanor charge so I leave it to you to decide.

4 Likes

Not sure where you got that idea but you can’t. I do not believe any non-resident can posses a handgun in the state of CA. AND Federal regulation is no help if CA is your destination because you are now under state jurisdiction. Folks have gotten arrested AT THE AIRPORT in places like New York doing just that.

5 Likes

Thanks Enzo for the clarification. I remember reading about the New York incident. That really sucks… and I believe I can’t even carry a knife that’s more than 3", right?

4 Likes

Sounds like I’m gonna have to just face the facts and get over the paranoia and anxiety. LOL.

4 Likes

Thanks buddy! Good to be here!

4 Likes

That definitely sucks and I definitely wouldn’t want that to happen. Thanks for the heads up!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community, stay safe and train hard. :smiley:

4 Likes

Shared with CloudApp
But watch for hotel issues:
Shared with CloudApp

You can find all of that and more here:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ca-gun-laws/#recStates

5 Likes

CA is tricky for out-of-Staters. No large mags, no off roster guns, commie DAs, and a generally bad prosecutorial environment (unless armed intruders break into your home and are still armed when the police find their bodies, and even then you aren’t protected from civil issues from the criminal’s family.) Only thing good in CA for Right minded folks is the weather, the mountains and the beaches.

I’d suggest an mk3 format pepper spray for San Francisco, and avoid night walking. They love bums, needles, crap in the streets, and junkies; and hate guns and the 2a there. In fact, concealed carry is not allowed on SF county property at all, even by permit holders.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are blessed to be here.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m aware of the incredibly stricter laws of San Francisco from all the reading I’ve been doing… really ridiculous how things have been setup in CA. And CA used to be a conservative, gun loving state… crazy how quickly things can change with the help from a bunch of loud-mouths who think they’re feelings are more important than logic and fact… but I digress. LOL,

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome brother! Glad to be here.

2 Likes

Thanks Dawn! Yeah, I’ve been reading the CA section over and over again. We’re driving down to CA. I’m planning on leaving my firearm in the “locked container” in the car… probably for our whole stay… just to be on the safe side. Better start working out so I can use my hands to defend my family. LOL.

2 Likes

Thanks! You as well mah dude!

3 Likes