Carry a Gun While Traveling: Federal Safe Passage and Transport Across State Lines

17 Likes

Which are the 18 Anti- gun unfriendly States?

2 Likes

Thx @Brad for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks God this Country is so big that there is no problem to avoid any RED (on this map) States to see beautiful things ! (this applies to my permits only)

A 2022-01-04 21-11-12

4 Likes

@Jerzees Not too concerned about the states in the red now, but ooey “Colorado” seriously? I didn’t know this. This is my favorite playground, camping, fishing. I always have my toy in a safe in the camper trailer. No problems for me throughout NM, nor Ariz.

3 Likes

But what about Castle Doctrine? Most states have it. Even though Illinois doesn’t honor Tennessee permit/license, I go to Chicago and have my weapon/weapons on me when driving. No Illinois LEO ever told me I was wrong.

3 Likes

Yeah, there is no issues in IL.

Under Illinois’ Concealed Firearm Carry Act, enacted in 2013, a person who is issued a valid concealed carry license is permitted to keep or carry a loaded or unloaded concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle.

But you will need to check every State you are travelling through.

4 Likes

@Jerzees , I check a different state every day only because I do not know which state or city I will be in because of family and how things are going with this COVID stuff. But I love Tennessee gun laws. :laughing:

3 Likes

Once we can legally smoke grass in IL, there is no needs to travel to CO anymore. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Well, it is a good excuse to come to Washington for now! Where there are more dispensaries than 7-11s now!

4 Likes

Remember, the map in @Jerzees 's post shows reciprocity with his state. Unless your license is from the same state, be sure to check before assuming . It looks like CO honors quite a few, if all the criteria line up correctly.

3 Likes

@techs I’ll double check Co reciprocity with NM, Thanks.

1 Like

Which states’ permits does Colorado honor?
[…]
New Mexico (resident permits only)

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

3 Likes

Colorado is also one of the states that allows local governments to pass stricter gun laws than the state. So you need to be aware of local gun laws as well.

3 Likes

Some of these places are known for targeting out of state travelers. When they pull you over and find you have any firearms they can confiscate to be held as evidence for your court appearance. If you’re carrying any high dollar custom firearms, good luck ever seeing them again. That’s why I carry my reliable and ugly Glocks, Springfields and SIGs in the risky states.

2 Likes

If you are a firearm owner, you will being committing a felony, just to be in constructive possession of MJ and a firearm, meaning MJ does not need to be in your physical possession, a friend or family member could be the “owner”. Not a court case I would want to be involved in.

3 Likes

The thing is, with the green/red image…is that we could charge via a special tax stamp, any products or services that have to travel through green areas. This would be solved in about 4 seconds. If the tax actually went into place, punishment for non-pay would be incarceration until we “got to” them. Could be a week. Could be a year.

1 Like

@Brad … I’m lost right now. I don’t catch it.
What tax?

1 Like

We could add one for any items/services that had to travel through green areas from red ones. Kind of like they limit our rights through red today, mostly using “gotcha” made up laws.

2 Likes

Have to be careful in Illinois. I had a buddy that lost his Glock over a simple traffic stop. The tensions were low and they were having a friendly conversation, but when the LEO was looking at something inside his vehicle he found my buddy’s EDC. Since he was not an Illinois resident and didn’t have a Firearms owner ID (FOID), they confiscated it and told him he could claim it at the station. But the station wouldn’t give it back to him because he didn’t have a FOID. So he asked how to get a FOID, and was told he couldn’t, because he’s not an Illinois resident. So unless he establishes residency in Illinois, he’s out a Glock.

Is that all legal? Maybe not, but for the cost of an attorney he could just buy a new Glock.

3 Likes

Everything is about LEO’s knowledge. And that, unfortunately isn’t a great.
I am a huge Blue Uniform supporter, but when I spoke with few of them I was surprised how every single paragraph can be differently interpreted.
Best example: magazine capacity ban in certain Cities - due to Gun Law, I’m allowed to possess my 16 rds magazin in any of IL Cities, because of my Residency… however it may happen that LEO in HIghland Park, IL will use his “City Ordinance” to make my day very bad. :confused:
Is it legal? Nope. But even somehow I will get out of troubles, it will take my and attorney’s time.
:angry:

1 Like