Traveling through states that I do not have reciprocity in

Going to be traveling through New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts in a few weeks going to Maine. I have a Pennsylvania concealed carry permit and have reciprocity in Maine. What do I need to do to transport a pistol through NY, CT and MA safely with out running afoul of the law?

4 Likes

@John73 Welcome to the team and community! Go to www.USCCA.com and click on the reciprocity link. There you will find update firearm laws for each state. In my opinion, unloaded, locked up and out of reach if and when traveling through those state! NJ has outlawed hollow points! Oh, and don’t speed.

9 Likes

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources
That will give you the reciprocity map, federal travel laws, and how to travel with a firearm in a car, plane, or boat.

You’ll definitely want to read up on the Federal Firearms Transportation Laws (you can find them through the resources page above.) Here’s that specific link for you as well.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/federal-firearms-transportation-laws/?link=LearnFederalGunLaws_Grid1_Text_FedFirearmsTransLaws

5 Likes

I used to travel by car frequently & the only state out of 5 I routinely entered into that wasn’t reciprocal was S.C. I never unloaded or locked up my guns. As a disabled female, I have a target on my back & refuse to be denied my life because of any law. That said, I did mind my p’s & q’s while driving through S.C. & never stopped to spend one red cent in their state. I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!!
I had occasion to have to defend my life when I was 18 back in 1984. I was locked up & charged with murder on the sole basis of being “too young” to own a handgun. No one ever said he was “too young” to possess a knife nor to plan to rob me, steal my car, rape then murder me as he stated were his intentions when he put that knife to my throat. The DeKalb county sheriff’s office took 2 days to locate the knife in my Mustang because even back then there were ppl who were waging a war against white ppl. I didn’t own the gun, it was merely left in my car by my boyfriend when I dropped him off at the airport. I had never held a gun before in my life but any idiot can operate a .357 revolver & I hit my mark, only fired one shot. Neither I nor my bf ever thought I would need to use it but we were both wrong. I thank God every day that he forgot to leave it at home that day. Had he remembered to leave it, I would never have married, had kids & grandkids bc I would’ve been killed. So no, I don’t comply but I do behave, if the cops have no reason to pull you over, they have no way of knowing that you’re armed. I’m not advocating for the breaking of any laws by anyone. It’s just an account of my experience with law enforcement. I was acquitted on all charges but it was the scariest time in my life - not the actual incident but rather the government. Our rights have been steadily encroached upon my entire life. Somehow, I feel my right to life trump’s their laws. I continued to carry a gun after that, even though I knew I wasn’t “allowed by law” to do so here in GA. As soon as I was legal, I purchased an arsenal. I’ve never been without one since except to enter courtrooms & county buildings.
I’m moving to TN for many reasons but one major reason is the new law that does away with permitting & allows for open carry which was previously illegal. I can carry open or concealed barring those same institutions previously mentioned.
I like that states have the right to write laws governing within their boundaries. It provides us all with choice of where we live based on those laws that weren’t expressly granted to the feds to execute. I don’t want federal mandates on anything that removes our rights but that was never to be within their purview. We have allowed all of these laws to be implemented even though expressly against the Second Amendment in the name of security/safety & now we have neither. I refuse to go along to get along where the Bill of Rights and the Constitution are concerned. It’s my choice, it is I who will pay whatever price that comes with MY choice. I don’t flaunt the fact that I’m carrying concealed and I never pull it unless I intend to use it as a tool to maintain life itself.

11 Likes

In the near future I’ll be doing the full time RV thing. I’m just getting my ducks in a row so I have the knowledge and what I need to be successful at it.

Part of being knowledgeable, is knowing gun laws in the states BEFORE I enter them. At this point…as beautiful as the “left coast” is…CA, WA, and Oregon aren’t even on my list. Too much nonsense for me…and I want to avoid trouble!!!

I do plan to hit Nevada and do some training at Front Site while there.

9 Likes

@Thomas141 I have zero desire to visit the left coast ever again. To your point, it is very beautiful with lots to do. just not on my dime!

6 Likes

I can agree with you Melissa17 because I was born and raised in Chicago projects til I was a teen and joined the service, so I carried for protection then. After the service I came home ( not living in the projects ), but I was back home in Chicago and married. So I had to make sure my wife was safe when we are out and about. She not from there and never been so her safety was up to me til she got comfortable being there. Good thing for crooked cops because I got caught a few times and all they wanted was the pistol for a throw away, kept me from getting locked up or being on paper. Like you, I also reside in TN. and loving it, it’s great knowing you have a right to protect yourself and your family.

6 Likes

@Thomas141 hopefully they will pass the reciprocity act bill this year, then we will not have to worry about where we travel.

5 Likes

West coast some East coast, guess I’ll just stay where I am for now

5 Likes

My Utah permit instructor informed me to not stop in MA, as one must be maintaining forward progress, even if gun/mags/ammo are locked up. Thus, pulled over? You stopped forward progress. Catch 22. Read a report from a lawyer saying if your car gets checked for said locked gun/ammo/mag…in the trunk…to record them.
Personally, I’m headed from CT to TN and maybe FL in my motorhome, looking for our retirement place, and will not be stopping in NY, and fuel only, if needed, in PA. Got 2 pistol sized lock boxes, and a locking compartment. Crazy, having permits good for 38 states, but can’t leave mine without some tension. Can’t wait to leave it for good.

4 Likes

@mattm xome on to TN. We would love to have you. TN. Is 2A friendly and will have some form of constitutional carry starting July 1, 2021.

3 Likes

@David-65 , hopefully the reciprocity act will get passed this year. :crossed_fingers:t4:

3 Likes

We’re leaving real soon, maybe tomorrow. My son is outside of Chattanooga and loves it there. Got a list of places to check, mainly eastern/east central TN, places are going quick for the most part, and the list changes daily. Our CT house is going on the market today, and fortunately for us, I hear NY is worse than CT, so hopefully we’ll sell quick. Sad, the “Constitution” state, with a former governor who declared the NRA a terrorist organization, and murphy and blumenthal as our elected “representatives.” Hopefully, I’ll be a “Vol” soon; if not, a panhandle/northern “gator.”

Appreciate your welcome…perhaps some day we’ll meet at that sweet “Dead Zero” range in Spencer, or another place similar. I’m bringing ammo! :smiley:

2 Likes

In Christ there is hope, in politicians not so much.

3 Likes

Sounds great, I am an hour west on 24 from Chattanooga and I still rep. Chicago all day. Lol. I might live in Tennessee but Chicago is always my home.

2 Likes

@David-65 come on brother don’t bust my bubble like that, I got my fingers and toes crossed for it to pass. :joy:

3 Likes

Ok so I’ll just wish you luck. Truth be told I wish it to happen also.

2 Likes

@Lu-Can We vacationed in the Great Smoky Mountains last August. We hit New Orleans last month with a stop in Memphis. I love TN for its 2A friendliness!

2 Likes

:joy: thank you sir

2 Likes

@Marrio I was offered a small church to pastor back in the 80’s, I turned it down because I never thought I would leave Chicago ( hard to leave home :sob:) but my wife and I been here for 6 years and I have learned to love Tennessee for it 2A believes. It feels great to carry legal after carrying illegal for so long back home. I would prefer to be judged by 12 instead of being carried by 6 any day.

4 Likes