Tactical Tuesday: ankle holster

There have been numerous conversations in the Community about drawing from a seated position and also about BUG guns. Drawing from an ankle holster can combine the two different topics.

Would you carry an ankle holster? Why or why not?

3 Likes

I would not.
Itā€™s just not for me.

2 Likes

I do, when carrying in my normal carry position is not workable.

5 Likes

I have carried my S&W Chief 38 spl. Snub barrel as a backup in an ankle holster. At the time my service weapon was a Ruger Police Service Six. I stopped carrying it when we were issued our Glock 19 which were 15 rd. Mags and 2 spare 15 rd mags for a total of 46 rounds. I also realized that to get to it in an ankle holster you telegraphed what you were doing. I personally would not wear an ankle holster again because it can get stuck in your pants leg and it takes more time to draw it.

2 Likes

Brother, I always loved the Ruger Speed/Security Six but have been hard pressed to find one. Would love to find a military marked version.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I am too small to truly hide it. I do understand the backup theory though.

1 Like

I do use an ankle holster when having a gun in my pocket all day seems to be unworkable. Do not ordinarily carry a backup. When I feel unsafe enough to have 2 guns on me one of them will probably be on my ankle. I have ankle rigs for both subcompact and micro-compact semis.

I read about a guy that was attacked by 2 dubious individuals, one with what appeared to be a tec-9. He pretended to be having a heart attack, fell over backwards, when the attackers reached for him he drew and fired. Possibly a way to engage with an ankle holster, use a ruse that gives you access. Need to think it through beforehand.

3 Likes

Reaching my ankle is something that I can not do with ease. With bad legs and bad hernia problems, it just isnā€™t applicable for me to do. I have to perform shape shifting yoga to just get my socks off little less reach down to pull my pant leg up and grip my gun properly without turning red and blue in the face.

4 Likes

I have a Ruger Speed - six .357 ported, hammer spur removed Factory custom good shooter

2 Likes

I would love to but my body wouldnā€™t allow it. To much lower back damage.

I used to keep good throwing knives down there. Canā€™t do that now

4 Likes
Poll

0 voters

I would not. Iā€™d carry a smaller gun, in a pocket, as opposed to my regular EDC, before Iā€™d go ankle. And, when Iā€™m ā€œdressed upā€ I wear cowboy boots. Just more hassle to quickly retrieve my firearm if I did need it.

1 Like

Canā€™t find the pants to make it work.

1 Like

I wear low cut boots so the holster rides above the top of the boot and cannot slip down around my foot. Can imagine this would be difficult if I wore loafers or some such low cut shoe. I use the Galco COP Ankle Band which wraps around and attaches with velcro. I have seen the ones with a band up above the calf to hold the thing up and did not like the look of that.

1 Like

Some people donā€™t like them. I use mine every day, if I donā€™t have it on I just donā€™t feel right, so I go back in and put it on.

2 Likes

I do use an ankle holster. I am a slightly overweight, retired older man. No, I am not an accomplished ā€˜quick drawā€™ person, but I can get at it when driving or sitting in church, and for me, it saves the crazy looks from others because it is not as obvious as some other means of holstering. I do occasionally use other holsters, but I prefer the ankle holster as my main means of carry. I wear the loose cut type of jeans or slacks, which helps with access. I carry an XD mod 2.0 and an extra magazine in my ankle holster. I do feel undressed when it is not in place, and I find that it is not uncomfortable to have it on all day. My wife is also a responsibly armed US citizen who also ā€˜carriesā€™ whenever she leaves the house. When we leave the house, we jokingly ask one another if the other one is ā€˜dressedā€™ - our code for carrying.
Side bar note - thank you USCCA for making it possible for us to protect what is most important to us without the risk of total financial ruin if we (God forbid) must ever use our guns.

6 Likes

@Michael204

What ankle holster do you use? I also have an XD but havenā€™t carried it yet.

1 Like

I chose Bear Armz, and it was less than $20.00. It is made of stretchy stuff, and has velcro to keep things tight. I only carry the 13 rd mag in the gun, and a 13 rd in the mag holder of the holster. The 16 rd makes things a little harder to keep covered, or harder to gain access if needed.

5 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll look it up.

1 Like

Not flexible enough.

2 Likes