Sunglasses for driving

I was driving to my gun class yesterday and had a pair of Oakly sunglasses on. I noticed as I was driving on the 2 lane county roads when going from sun to shade, it looked like just like a blackout. I couldn’t see the road. Is it my old 61 years eyes or does anybody else have that problem? Any glasses you would recommend? I get better vision capability from the cheap ones.

“Gotta live within your means”

I just use the safety glasses they hand out at work for sunglasses…

5 Likes

Hey,
I use:

They are American made and I think even maybe Vet owned.
They have fast service, are aluminum, and the lenses are very scratch resistant.
If you get the lenses scratched up, just send them in for replacement lens.

They are kinda pricey but not import junk, and are VERY well made.

I have 2 pairs, if one is having lens replacement I still have a set.

You’ll NEVER need to buy another pair,unless you lose them, ever.

3 Likes

My preferred driving sunglasses are Maui Jim rose lenses, mostly I wear Oakley with their dark black lenses when it’s bright/when not in the car.

For driving you probably want something that increases contrast and isn’t overly dark.

2 Likes

Going from sun to shade is harder on older eyes.
Your irises just don’t respond as quick as they used to.
Wearing dark lenses can be a PITA if where you are travelling have alot of light and dark transitions. Sometimes the less dark special UV blocker types are better. They have a yellow tint, but aren’t as dark and still allow you to see when transiting into a shaded area.

2 Likes

I consider the yellow safety glasses my cloudy day glasses. For me they seem to brighten things up. I do not like them in bright sunlight.

2 Likes

Try to find sunglasses with the brown lens instead of gray. The change adds some of the features of yellow driving glasses. I prefer this color when I can get it. I buy the clip on shades at WalMart, and occasionally can find the brown alternate in them.
No guaranty it will help, but it might

5 Likes

I do try to live within my means but thought I would splurge for a pair. I usually hold on to a pair of sunglasses for 5 or 6 years minimum. Lens falling out is the main reason I have to replace sunglasses.

1 Like

Are your glasses polarized and are your windows tinted?
I’ve noticed some funkiness when looking through both depending on the angle of the sun.

2 Likes

They are just tinted. The problem is when looking into the shade, not once I’m actually in the shade drinking. Good question

1 Like

I forgot about window tint. I had a single cab truck that I got tinted fairly dark. It almost acted like mirrors reflecting the interior of the truck. It might have mainly been the windshield strip? I haven’t driven it in a few years. Probably has rotten gas in it now. Hopefully the rats haven’t chewed up the wiring harness…

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan for July!
99 days till November!!!

If you get after-market tint, be sure to find out whether your state has a darkness limit, and make the shop follow that law. Virginia does, and I got a ticket for windows too dark (the State Trooper carries a meter to check!) for a car I bought used. I went back to the dealer who sold it to me and made them remove the tint at no charge.

It also makes a big difference how much money you spend on the tint, the quality of your view out varies considerably between the cheap junk and the good stuff. Heat rejection varies quite a bit along the price range as well.

I like Llumar IRX

1 Like

I found a shop that didn’t follow the law. I’m happy with them.

1 Like

Not any help for your question, but I did not realize Oakley made non-polarized sunglasses,

Amazon.com: Oakley Mens Sunglasses Black/Black - Non-Polarized - 60mm : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

I’m not sure if they are or aren’t. They have the orange mirror is all I’m sure of.

All of my Oakley lenses that are polarized say Polarized right on the lens (or Prizm P if they are both prizm and polarized)

1 Like

Man William,
Been there and did that more than once. I wear transition lenses. While in the Guard I used to fly. I had a set Aviator RX sunglasses made.

1 Like

Serengeti Aviators Polarized or Maui Jim’s Polarized. Like Glass, less prone to scratching. Been wearing both pairs for longer than 10 years now. I like the fact that color is vivid in either pair. Before they bumped up in price thought Randolph Engineering had good color through the lenses. They were the original military aviator sunglasses.