Cataracts! Who's got 'em?

I’ve got ‘em. For the past nine years the Doc said they weren’t bad enough to whittle on, but during the last few evenings while reading I’ve notice a big honkin’ floater that doesn’t float----it follows my eyes across the page and back again.

Maybe it’s time. :thinking:

Don’t you be sneakin’ up on my blind side. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Went to the eye doctor the other day to get my second version of glasses. The Dr looks in my eyeball and says you have a game of Asteroids

going on in there, you can’t see them but they are interesting to watch from the outside.

6 Likes

Had new lenses (three months apart) in both eyes three years ago. One of the best things I have ever done for myself. Didn’t realize until after the first surgery that I had not been seeing any colors. Opted for optimal distance vision (instead of “mono” in one eye). Overall vision is 20/15. Use reading specs for close work but can read well enough without them in good light.

9 Likes

The lenses are plastic, right? Like Glocks?
The plastic on my car’s dash deteriorated pretty quickly.
I don’t know about this :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I think “plastic” is an over simplification. Most are created from silicone or acrylic. They are also coated with a special material to help protect eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays emitted by the sun.

6 Likes

Have been wearing 150/150 eyeglasses for 30 years, can read fine prints better without them, but necessary for driving especially at night.

My eye doctor said cataracts are inevitable as we get older so resigned to the fact I’ll get it one of these days.

But, hopeful with today’s technology, it wouldn’t take much of the fun out of growing old.

4 Likes

Fun to see in color and not to have to wear glasses.

8 Likes

Fish oil and omega 3,6,9 here. My vision was essential for my career, and improved from about age 50 in increments until 62, now 63 with a bunch of glasses that show the progress, and rarely wear glasses now, after wearing them from age 11-58.
Told a co worker about the fish oil and he was real happy when his borderline need for surgery became a non issue.
I gotta’ watch out for the sunlight, though.

4 Likes

Glasses aren’t my issue. Trying to see through the cataracts is.

4 Likes

Understood, which is why my coworkers borderline cataract surgery becoming a non issue was mentioned.
He was real happy about that.

3 Likes

Pretty cool stuff.

2 Likes

Might be picking fly crap out of pepper but doesn’t the light from the lens invert making it that image at the nerve appear upside down? Our brain then inverts the image again to what is actually seen.

Does the new lens not do this as well. Sure would be f’ed up as our brain would make it appear upside down then.

2 Likes

The new lens does the exact thing the natural lens does, just not quite as well when it comes to near vision. Anything within arm’s reach for me gets hard to read unless in perfect lighting situations. That’s what I need reading glasses for.

As for shooting, I have bought these self-adhering lenses that are the same power as my readers that I have stuck to the upper portion of my safety glasses, kinda the opposite of what you’d expect in a bi-focal. This is to help see my sights better. Where they’re placed, I can look over them easily for distance focus. As time goes on, I find I don’t need the helpers on my safety glasses as much, I’ve kinda trained my eyes to adapt and seeing the sights isn’t nearly as bad as it was right after surgery. Again, the better the lighting, the easier it is.

2 Likes

Floaters and cataracts are two different things. I had cataract surgery a few years ago and my vision is probably better than since I was a teenager. But I still have floaters. Nothing can really be done to get rid of those—you just need to learn how to ignore them.

3 Likes

I’m Australian so everything here is upside down to me anyway.

7 Likes

John I had the same problem you had,but found a product that wih in 3 weeks they were one,and if interested the priduct is called CAN - C and you can get that product with no prescription and on Amazon,you put 2 drops in each eye 2x a day and a 2 pack is $27.00 on Amazon,it was worth the price to me It was 3 years ago and I have not had them to came back,But still have the eye drops in case they come back,it is strange that the Dr’s dont tell you about the eye drops!

1 Like

If floaters have become a real problem, a surgical treatment known as a vitrectomy can remove them. When I had my double cataract surgery, this was done on both eyes - the eye fluid is replaced to maintain the eye’s shape. Cataracts are a natural part of the aging process - the lens becomes clouded, darker, and stiffer. Look these conditions and procedures up.

2 Likes

Be careful of the expiration date. The drops can become stronger or weaker with time and you don’t know which it will be. Your sight is more important than not getting a new bottle.

1 Like

I posted what I did about cataracks and what i used to get rid of them naturally,the thought of some one messing with my eyes is a no no to me when there is an over the counter remedy and the Can-C does have a 2 year use date,i had an eye examination at the VA and they said i would have to have them removed,so went home and did research and found the Can-C used that and they were surprised on the next ck up that they were gone,he same as when I got Diabetes and they put me on 5 shots a day 2 long lasting and 3 fast acting,so got on the net and an woman from Hawaii told me about Bitter Mellon,so found the capsules and in 3 months was off all insulin Completely and blood sugar level dropped from 150 to the 70’s/80’s and still take 2 capsules a day,at least I am off 5 insulin a day and on research I found out why they tell you once you start taking insulin you have to continue taking the shots,because your body gets lazy and will stop producing insulin

4 Likes

I had cataract surgery 22 years ago in each eye. Back then the best you could hope for clearer vision with close to the same prescription glasses.
Sense then I’ve become pretty much blind in one eye with some remaining peripheral vision due to a detached Vitreous lining and Retina caused by excessive body trauma over a long period of time even before the surgery. I’m getting by ok, I’m right handed and, thankfully right eye dominant. Close up depth perception not good. The big thing today I guess is laser surgery That can eliminate the need for glasses.
PS: still doing well with firearms and archery. I’m ready to ride the dark horse anytime.

2 Likes