Sighting with reading glasses

Honest question for y’all. I have fantastic vision past about 4 feet, but need readers for closer. A pistol at arms length and the sights are fuzzy - and if I’m wearing readers I can’t see anything down range. Any ideas?

2 Likes

I’m not a doctor, but consider no line bifocals. It may help.

1 Like

Progressive Bifocals is what you want, get eyes tested you may be a candidate for Cataract Surgery also.

1 Like

Check out this video and SSP Eyewear.

4 Likes

While I’m planning on the glasses with two Rx values , I have astigmatism. I have noticed my ability to focus on my front sight IS improving as I practice. But, when I’m tired, a set of small reading glasses which can fit under goggles in the lower half of my frames worked pretty good.

1 Like

@CHRIS4. Very very interesting Chris. I had a stagmatism in my younger years but in 1979 I was in a very serious car accident, keep in mind this was before seat belt laws and at that time you never had to have your lap belt buckled. Well back to this story, I had a head on collision with a semi truck who drove into my lane on a two lane road. Hit the inside windshield with my head then hit and actually bent the steering wheel like a pretzel and when I was released by the hospital 6 weeks later (back then hospitals and doctors actually cared more ) and insurance companies were not in such an all fired hurry to discharge someone well because of that accident and head trauma and surgery to put my brain back together my stagmatism went away and never returned.

2 Likes

I require bifocals. I find it hard to focus on both the front sight and the target anywhere beyond ten feet. I chose to tackle the problem with lasers. While zeroing is a chore, once I have finished I am both faster and more accurate. I trust Crimson Trace as much as the firearms they are mounted to.

2 Likes

I wear readers and I can either focus (sort of) the front sight or I can focus the target, but I can’t move the focus between then very quickly.

I tried a bunch of options but finally gave up. I mostly shoot target focused for self defense distances… once I started doing that my accuracy and speed both got a lot better. I’ve learned to be aware of what my unfocused sight picture is and i hold focus on the target with that unfocused sight picture in my awareness and shoot solid defensive accuracy out to about 18 yards.

I have the same vision issues–i have mounted a red dot sight which i can focus downrange with my distance vision and the red dot is clearly visible on that target.

2 Likes

I too am very satisfied with Crimson Trace. I paired up my 357 J frame, 45, and 9mm, 10 years ago with grip versions of the laser mounts and the zero has been stable, the guns shoot to the dot, and best of all the dot lines up in the sight picture so I can use sights first and then illuminate for confirmation while firing.

I’ve got two new conversion kit uppers in 9mm for my new SIGs and both of those have the Romeo 1 red dot on them. These guns also have CT grip lasers. I haven’t spent much time training with the dots yet, but it is very much on my mind. I’ve been told by a friend who edcs with his red dots that they holster well, draw well, and he is as fast or faster at resolving his target with it. So… Happily, I can end it with “We’ll see!” I’ll happily leave word as I learn more.

2 Likes

See a good optometrist and explain your issues and concern, and especially what you want to be able to do. What helps me may not help you but a qualified professional in the field would know what should work best for your situation.

Personally I have three sets of prescription glasses, one for normal wear, sun glasses for when I will be outside or driving more then 10 minutes, and a third set up with a focal point for working on the computer.

It helps lessen the eye fatigue and in my case helps not to give me a raging migraine headache.

4 Likes

I also have the same problem with my sights and vision so I went to red. Romeo on the sig red Dot on rifles a little blurry but a lot better I can do defense shooting okay but I haven’t tried the hunting this fall yet squirrels might be a trick

2 Likes

@Mark99 welcome! Let us know how its working for hunting :slightly_smiling_face:
Glad you’re here!

2 Likes

Ahhh the tribulations of getting older :nerd_face: As I sit here perched on the end of my nose are a pair of no line “computer glasses”. Readers drove me nutz as they were on and off all the time. These are on and off less of the time as they are not perfectly clear above the correction. I am seriously considering actually getting prescription glasses so I can just leave them on. Having worked the the ophthalmic side of medicine (Retina) for about 10 years I know what my prescription is and can probably dial myself in better than the techs at the Optometrists. That said my distance vision is 20/10 on both eyes with a .25 correction in the right, my near vision is about 20/60 in both requiring a +2.00 reader and my cataracts are not yet mature.

Unfortunately we will all get presbyopia (when your arms are too short to see up close) hardening of the lens in our eyes so that we cannot accommodate any more. We will all also end up with cataracts: the clouding of the lens. It’s going to happen if you live long enough so get used to the idea now.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I’m now far sighted. And I wear TRI-FOCAL’S. I’m also left handed but right eye dominant. and I’ve learned to shoot with both eyes open. And I’ve had no problems seeing my sights. I did mount Red Dot sights on my AR and my 1911 .22lr which I do shoot in competition. But on my other guns I just have open sights and have had no real problems seeing the sights.

2 Likes

I wore those for quite a while and they were an excellent fix for just that issue. You quickly get used to tilting the head just a bit and it gets to the point you don’t even realize you are doing it. MY issue was that they interfered with a hobby to the point I got so frustrated I almost gave it up.

2 Likes

Thank you!!

3 Likes

Make sure you update us with whatever solution works for you. I seem to be getting closer and closer to having the same problem.

3 Likes

I will report back. I just ordered them. :wink:

3 Likes