Sighting with reading glasses

That question is easy !!! I have both eyes operated on, due to cataracts and I see 20 / 25 in both eyes.

But I have to read with cheaters +2.50. Wal Mart has the answer for $10.00. The rest is like your

vision; improvement always.

Thank you !!

William H Smith Jr

2 Likes

I told my eye Dr that I wanted cataracts so he could replace my lenses replaced at the same time since I can not have lasik. He told me I could do the lense replacement surgery now if I wanted just costs $$ but since I have to spend $1k on new eyeglasses each year anyways (-8.75 and -7.50 with bifocals and bendable frames for motorcycle helmet)…

So next year I might just have lense replacement surgery and just have to use cheaters.

So for now what helps me the most is what sights are on the firearm. Fiber optic ones help a lot.

2 Likes

Well Done! You are going to be rich when you make that investment, plus after you heal

in both eyes you will gain more confidence on your firearm sights and practice. Best to you

and enjoy.

2 Likes

Bifocals or lots of practice on unsighted fire. I have the same issue myself and that’s how I work around it.

2 Likes

In GENERAL to ALL.

Please be careful when you decide to have eye surgery in any form. For the most part those that have LASIK, PRK, RK etc. at a younger age are VERY near sighted (Long Eye balls) and the focal point is forward of the macula (the spot in the middle of the retina that allows you to see) Often times LASIK et al will affect what lens implant you can get when your cataracts finally mature

(NOTE TO ALL if you live long enough you will get cataracts)

The reason I point this out is not about your vision it is about retinal detachments (RD’s) . Those with long eyeballs are SIGNIFICANTLY more susceptible to an RD than others due to a tin retina and because their vision is great they ignore sudden onset FLOATERS (grey or black spots or strings that show up floating around in your vision as well as FLASHES (in my eyes they look like shooting stars or electric arcs in broad daylight) but I have had them for 30 years and am also aware of the other symptoms.

I worked in Retina and Ophthalmology for 10 of my 30 years in medicine and I would be happy to answer (to the best of my ability) your eye ball questions.

Oh yeah, I finally went out and bought myself a very expensive set of “reading glasses” from an optometrist, just tired of the reader thing.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I’m in my mid fifties and still have better than perfect distance vision but my arms keep getting shorter when it comes to reading or trying to get a good sight picture with open sights.

How would you rate the risk vs reward of Lasix?

3 Likes

@WildRose Well LASIK surgery is not for everyone Charles the eye dr told me a few years ago I was not a good candidate for LASIK. Subsequently I had cataract surgery on my left eye and in my opinion and only my opinion it did not go well and I was meticulous to do everything I was instructed to do during and after the surgery. Oh yes that was age 67 now I’m 69 years young.

1 Like

Fortunately mine are still completely clear, the only issue is my shortening arms and growing need for readers.

I have a good friend/customer I could get to make any lenses or glasses I want but if there’s a better, more permanent solution I’m certainly willing to do some exploring and considering.

For one thing I’m notorious for losing and breaking glasses and always have been and if I were to get some high quality glasses made I’ want the transistions lenses so I could have just one pair for all light conditions which would drive the price way up even if he let me have them at his cost.

2 Likes

@WildRose You are in very much the same situation I am. My distance vision is still 20/10 with a slight correction (-.25 @50) in the right eye. However my near vision is 20/80, so my arms are wayy too short but it is exceptionally frustrating if on a rifle I need glasses to see the markings on a scope. I am currently wearing a set of no line computer glasses, unfortunately the top portion of the glasses has some correction in them so I cannot wear them all the time. I recently (last Friday) went to an Optometrist to get no kidding prescription glasses because I have the same issue as you with destroying or loosing readers.

Having worked in the Ophthalmic industry for 10 years (mainly in Retina) but in a facility that did Lasik and cat’s, IMHO wait as long as possible for your cataract Sx. Embrace the suck and wear glasses. If you have a friend that can get you a prescription I would go on line and for less than $200 order up some full time glasses. I happen to have stupid good vision insurance that I maintain for my wife and kids as they all wear glasses and this is the first time I have used it for myself and was actually a bit cheaper than I could order online. YRMV.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

That’s why I get the $15 readers… :laughing:
I am adjusting to shooting with the front sight blurry - once I stopped trying to fix my problem with lenses and started seriously training with the vision I have, I got much better accuracy.

2 Likes

Same here. It would be helpful to see irons on rifles well enough to shoot with precision though.

Fortunately my eyes aren’t bad enough that I have trouble getting a good sight picture with scopes. I just have to do a little adjusting when I first set one up.

2 Likes