shooting with bifocals

Does anyone have a tips for pistol shooting with bifocals? i am leaning toward a red dot but need to be able to shoot well with open sights. Age has it’s disadvantages

10 Likes

Transition lenses perhaps? I have a pair of those, use them on occasion driving, and there’s a sweet spot where the instruments and street signs are clear.
Edit…meant progressive, not transition…

6 Likes

There is a company that makes reverse bifocals!

5 Likes

I have been using bifocals since 2013, the only issue I ran into was I wanted the shorter lens size which affected my rifle scopes, no so much with pistols though. I recently picked up a SSMR920C which came with the optic cut so I may just end up going optic since I’m not getting any younger😀

3 Likes

My glasses are what they call progressives. Similar to bifocals except the different lenses blend together seamlessly (no line).

I can still use iron sights, but have a red dot on my EDC and my full size FN.
They do help acquire the target faster and better accuracy.

8 Likes

I too wear progressive lens. I have no problem using iron sights. I tried a red dot and did not really like it. I may to give it another try although.

5 Likes

I guess I’m a bit older school. If I wear my glasses I can see the target out there but not my sights, If I don’t wear my glasses the sights are clear but the target is just a blur. Maybe time for some of these new tech glasses…

5 Likes

Bifocal for your non-dominant eye. Regular lens for your dominant eye.

5 Likes

It takes time and lots of repetition to learn to use a pistol optic. A box of ammo and a rental gun won’t give you an honest picture of what a red dot sight can do. Best parts: both eyes open, fast target acquisition and distance accuracy.

3 Likes

I’ve been wearing trifocals for about 2 years. Reading, short distance computer and long distance. I got a set of Oakley Flak 2.0’s that are progressive and I absolutely love them. I wear them all the time and they serve as my eye protection at the range also. I switched to a red dot sight (RDS) about the same time I went to trifocals and I will never go back. It does take time and practice to get used to RDS, but once you see how much better and faster you can acquire a target you’ll probably not want to go back to irons again.

Good luck with your search for “vision”.

2 Likes

I look through the normal lens. I also have a pair of single vision sunglasses I use. If the bifocal is bothering you look at a single vision pair of shooting glasses.

4 Likes

thanks for all of the suggestion going to give progressives

4 Likes

Be aware that progressives lock you into the center of the lens at least for me. I have to turn my head to shift focus.

3 Likes

I see the sights but not the target and vice versa. What works for me on my iron sight, i found shiny silver sharpie and colored the end sight. Even when my focus is a bit off i can still see the silver when focused on my target. Works for me…just saying.

4 Likes

The red dot is amazing for this. Takes quite a bit of dri-fire practice to get used to picking up the dot on target (have to completely ignore irons), but has me able to make headshots at 20 yards again with no problem

3 Likes

I’ve bee using SSP Eyewear safety glasses for a while. They’re top bifocals. See: Top Focal® Ast Kit - SSP Eyewear

8 Likes

SSP eyewear looks interesting, i’ll check them out. thanks for the tip

3 Likes

I wear bifocals, I tend to focus on the front post. But find what works for you from the community here. Then train with that

1 Like

See your 3AD patch, Spent a couple tours with 1AD Katterbach FRG

3 Likes

I was in Friedberg and Butzbach '83-'85.

2 Likes