shooting with bifocals

75-78 Katterbach 80-82 Katterbach once again. Some time after I left in 82 My unit moved from Katterbach to Friedberg 1/37 AR

1 Like

Thanks for your service brother!!

4 Likes

I have had good results with Transitions lenses for bullseye accuracy, and I am told that my prescription is “extreme.” At close range I find knowing what the back end of my pistol looks like when the sights are aligned works very well. The method was taught to me Jim Cirillo. It also works when your glasses get knocked off or obscured by dirt, etc. It is very useful when “minute of assailant” accuracy, high center of mass hits on a silhouette, is needed, but not bullseye shooting.

3 Likes

I find red dots require a full extension hold which may not be safe in a combat situation.

2 Likes

I’m 83 and have trifocals and I shoot with open sights. I’ve never thought about it and never had never had any trouble because of my glasses. I think you have to get use to your glasses.

2 Likes

Red dot is definitely the way to go. Once you go optic, you’ll never go back.

They make reverse bifocals, meaning the bifocal is on top. I’ve used these in competition and they work, but take some getting used to. I’ve also used plan 1.5 magnifiers, the background is blurry by the front sight is crisp and works like it normally would.

2 Likes

I use varifocal contact lenses, and haven’t noticed any issues shooting (a part from my lack of skill :smiley: ).

I do use gas permeable lenses to give me close to 20/20 vision. Soft lenses are not as good (at least for me).

4 Likes

Cool deal, I mentioned that I wore bifocals,But mine are actually transitions to. My vision is 20/20 distant, My issue is with reading close up. When I wear my glasses my distant vision is 20/15. But that close up issue like you I pretty much know where my rear are. I works for sure

Have a great day
2 Likes

John find a eye Dr.who also shoots.They can set you up with a shooting glasses focus on front site.

3 Likes

might be better to invest in glasses specifically set up for shooting?

I have 2 pair… one for reading and such and the other for everyday driving n shooting…

they are ballistic glasses BTW…

here and there you can still get over glasses ballistics as well…

2 Likes

Me, too. My SSP eyeglasses saved my neck. My neck hurt so bad after range time from tilting my head back to see through the bifocal. SSP allows me to tile my hear forward normally so that I can see my front sight and the target at the same time. I also love the interchangeable colored lenses for different lighting situations. Bonus, my accuracy improved immediately.

3 Likes

Thats would be great!

John, I just got a cheap second pair of bifocals that I was able to switch the temples left to right making a pair of upside down glasses that allow normal head inclination for seeing iron sights (or red dots too). No more neck stretching to enable my using the reading portion for sight clarity and because the rest of the lens is much larger Ivan easily check target and target background without strain.
Round lenses look better if appearance is a concern but any frame that allows the nose to support the frames adequately will do the job.

You can try it simply by putting your existing glasses on upside down and aiming at targets at various distances. This does require you to use your weak hand to hold the glasses in place but you can see what it does for you.

You should also be able to have a set made by your optometrist and the nice thing about them is that they are not uncomfortable to wear at other times too.

1 Like

That’s what I like about having my pair of prescription sun glasses, I didn’t have them bifocal.

this is interesting, i met a machinist years ago who had his reader lensed put on the top of the prescription lenses.

thanks for the advise

1 Like

Depends on your eyes, can you see up close without glasses? I can and my glasses come off when I shoot, use plain safety glasses. Yes the target if blurry but recognizable for me. The issue to me is self defense shooting, little time and many things to consider in a flash. I can see the front sight with my glasses on but it is not sharp. Off come the glasses if I have to shoot distance. At 6 to 10 feet the front sight does not have to be sharp and clear.
I have a pair of “compromise” glasses, they don’t work well close up or for distance but at 23 inches, my pistol front sight distance from my eye, the front sight is sharp.
So there, for what it is worth!

3 Likes

I have the same problem. I hate progressives so have bifocals. I just use distance and let the sites be blurry.

After reading some comments, I’d like to know who the hell carries with a red dot? lol, and how the hell would reverse bifocals help? I don’t even understand the logic in that. Not like you’re going to wear those out in the real world. Geez.

I have to admit that my 8-ball game has definitely diminished with glasses, which sucks.

2 Likes

Technology does change things, sometimes even in the firearms industry. These type of comments make me smile. I mean, who the hell carries with a rifled bore? :laughing:

Look online for how many carry pistols are coming out from the manufacturer with precut slides for optics, and even with optics included.

I’d say quite a lot of people, actually

2 Likes

Raises hand …

1 Like

:raised_hand:

Another one here. 3 of my carry guns have optics. Actually I would not carry without an optic nowadays.

3 Likes