South Carolina Conceal Carry in a Vehicle

I’m trying to figure out the best way to conceal my firearm in the vehicle so it can not be seen from the outside; however, I would also like to be able to grab it quickly in case of an altercation. How does everyone conceal their weapon in their vehicles?

2 Likes

@Christopher_Michael - welcome to the community.

When I can’t carry on my body, I use a soft case between the driver’s seat and the center console.

2 Likes

@OldGnome that is the problem that I am running into. The space between the seat and console is too small to slide the firearm down, and the center console is basically open with a hidden compartment underneath. The only way that I could use the hidden compartment is to never use the console for anything else. I was hoping to find some kind of under the seat option that would keep it concealed, but still be readily available for a quick draw. I may have to look at something like an Urban Carry G3 holster that sits lower so that I would always be carrying on my body.

1 Like

@Christopher_Michael - have you considered an ankle holster?

2 Likes

@OldGnome - I’ve just recently purchased a sticky holster for appendix carry, and I did see where they have an ankle sleeve that it would slide into. That could definitely be an option once in the vehicle.

1 Like

Depending on your vehicle would a consol safe work for you?

1 Like

These are intended for dash mount but you may be able to improvise something on the floorboard?

https://prepcision.com/?fbclid=IwAR0mCXHlw6-Y1fyKVvKz6IvGgXULwRmEhvkl944XYl-9W9FCoxK-ZVUZfFw

1 Like

I just took a quick look and it doesn’t look like there are a ton of options for my 2007 Honda Ridgeline.

1 Like

I conceal the same way as when not in the car, pocket holster. Can draw as easily while seated in the car as when doing anything else.

Could consider cross draw options. Also, under a newspaper on the passenger seat.

1 Like

Welcome @Christopher_Michael!

I have mine in a holster bolted under the steering wheel canted towards my strong hand. It’s an AlienGear ShapeShift holster using their Holster Mount. It clicks into place and you can set the retention level so it’s quite secure. Also requires thumb press to release.

1 Like

The title says conceal carry in a vehicle in SC. Per the current laws here your choice is limited. Under the seat, in any open or closed compartment or concealed on yourself. Between the sears or a holder under the dash are not allowed.

Honestly, depending on the fire arm you have it might be better to just conceal carry AIWB. I do that with a Stoeger Str9 which is in between the size of a Glock 17 and Glock 19. If you do that you may have to adjust the weapon and holster right or left on your body so you can still draw relatively quickly. You may also want to pull your shirt out from under the seat belt around your waist.

The advantages to that are you don’t have to transition your weapon from your body to someplace in the car.

The longest I have driven so far like this is about an hour. I honestly forgot about it while driving.

There is a new proposed bill that would allow more options for carrying in a vehicle but it hasn’t made it to the floor yet for a vote.

Good luck and stay safe.

1 Like

@Daniel228 Under a newspaper on the passenger seat is illegal in SC.

1 Like