Silly Question? Please Help!

This makes sense, I should sell my home and move.

Summary of Virginia Gun Laws

However, based on SB70/HB2 being signed into law on April 10, 2020 , all sales are required to be completed through a dealer who must submit a background check. … Open carry is legal in Virginia without a permit . The minimum age is 18 years old. Concealed carry is legal with a license/ permit .

*notice open carry is LEGAL WITHOUT a permit in VA

1 Like

Anyone considering using bear spray for self defense against two legged predators should reconsider this decision. Bears have a keener sense of smell than dogs and a very sensitive nose and because of this bear spray is much weaker than self defense pepper spray and not nearly as effective on two legged critters. I believe that bear spray is legal in most jurisdictions and would be better than nothing is places where pepper spray is not.

3 Likes

How about assault with a deadly weapon?

1 Like

We’d be glad to have another pro-2A voter in VA. In case you missed it though, we just barely dodged a DUMP TRUCK full of anti-gun laws this last session. And the governor has promised they will be trying again next session.

1 Like

they could charge you but how would that stick in a self defense situation? i’m not the expert but I would think that if two guys attacked you hypothetically speaking you do have a right to defend yourself right? or should you just lay down and get either kills or beaten halfway dead. okay lets say didn’t have a pellet gun but you are pretty strong, workout etc and you pick up a pole and beat the ■■■■ out of them is that still assault with a deadly weapon? remember both are non regulated a pole and a pellet gun

2 Likes

I agree 1000000% and I’m not taking any chances!

1 Like

There are several separate discussion points in this thread:

• Legality of concealed carry of a pellet gun - Depends on jurisdiction. And even if not a firearm, might run across other prohibitions on deadly or dangerous weapons.
  • Wisdom of concealed carry of a pellet gun - Another party, police or bad guy, will not distinguish between pellet gun or powder gun. Expect to be arrested, even if you are later released (perhaps after a night in jail). Expect to be shot at in any circumstance where that would be the response to a powder gun. So then it comes down to those risks vs. effectiveness. If you have an issue with killer rabbits in your neighborhood then the tradeoff might be worth it. But otherwise…
  • Wisdom of using a pellet gun on a dog larger than a toy breed - It’s stupid. You will wound them, perhaps mortally, but not stop them. They will not even notice the pain. Hours or days later they may die, but that didn’t really help you.
  • Wisdom of using a pellet gun on a human - Similar story. It’s probably worse than Jeff Cooper’s famous statement about the .25 ACP “Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody, and he finds out about it, he may be very angry with you".
  • Pepper spray and dogs - This probably works. I used it once on two GSDs that were fighting (a common dominance problem with having multiple GSD bitches in a household). They would not let go of each other. They stopped struggling and stood there with teeth embedded in each other, but would not let go. So get the pepper spray on the dog before it bites, or you may find yourself in the comedic position of walking around with a dog attached to your leg just like in some cartoons.
3 Likes

All of the above dissertation makes me dizzy…I feel horrible for all that live in areas where there are so many regulations, one has to call an attorney before going on a walk, to obtain the current rules and regs. Maybe Mike can go on a walk as an attorney, great sideline for him! The situation is so sad…folks…so sad…

4 Likes

lol haha, very informative I must say and yes I’m not taking ANY chances but did want to know from a legal perspective and community approach

1 Like

I agree and Maryland is the worst state for self defense, you can be 1000% correct in your judgment prior to an total stranger killing you and raping all your kids and YOU will be prosecuted. I had an attorney tell me once from Prince George’s county that and I quote" The people here are not human" he was referring to the judges, lawyers , prosecutors and police. He was right!!!

2 Likes

Maryland like ugh! New Jersey are duty to retreat states you must make an effort to exfiltrate your self from an incident and retreat whenever possible the civil penalties are high in places like this my experience is if an animal and you happen to have mace use it and leave the area, if it’s people and you use the mace be careful as an allergic reaction can result in a life threatening condition for your attackers yes liberals for you! So do use it and exit the scene and hope the robbers didn’t get a good look at you because he who tells his side first with the least amount of malice wins , perps: “ we asked him to give us his money we only wanted his money “ and he maced us! My friend caught an asthma attack and died ! He didn’t have to die like that !
Victim: I feared for my life , there was two of them they blocked my path to retreat I had no choice but to use the only non lethal means to defend myself, while I am sorry someone was injured I don’t think they would have cared about the trauma they caused me if he didn’t have the asthma attack and died as course of doing an dangerous activity such as robbing citizens of this commonwealth/municipality

1 Like

right!, these annoying judges, lawyers etc have absolutely NO damn common sense!!! until THEY get in a situation of something happening to THEM!!! oh! but the judge has 24hr police security and is protected which is why they don’t give a sh$it what happens to you.

Edited for language ~Dawn

1 Like

I found that the devil is in the details of most local laws and town ordinances the main takeaway know the laws governing the use of what’s considered a fire arm

2 Likes

Get in touch with a qualified local attorney for a consultation. I once had an attorney write a letter to a dog owner that had two dogs that loved to chase bicycles on a very busy road. It cost $25 and I never saw those dogs again. Never.
While hiking, I prefer the 45 caliber walking stick for advanced canine education. It never runs out of ammo, the safety is always off, it is full auto, silenced, will take the attack to the mutt, and the price is right.

3 Likes

Beautiful dog!, and just to add I love pitbulls and eventually will get one someday to go with my cat lol

2 Likes

I think it is important you establish a history. Did you file a police report each time you were bitten? In that way, heaven forbid you have to hurt a neighbor’s dog, you have valid standing. “He bared his teeth and growled, and you can see from my two previous reports that I’ve been attacked before. It was self-defense.” It’s your word against Rover’s.

All of that said, I wouldn’t mess with a pellet gun on your walks. Either carry a pistol and stop the threat dead, or Sabre spray and a stout club. Pepper spray is often maligned, but in 99% of situations it’s going to stop the threat long enough for you to safely depart.

2 Likes

Yes I did file a police report both times and did win in court on both occasions

1 Like

That’s perfect. The sheriff deputies in my neck of the woods (NC) have told me that if there is a documented history of aggression, if you end up harming or killing a dog, in the vast majority of cases you won’t be charged.

I’m a certified dog-lover, and have had a dog by my side every day of my life. But I live in the country and, like yourself, are often approached by aggressive strays while walking my pooch. Here, I’m allowed to carry. So option #1 is my Sabre spray; option #2 is 11 well-placed shots from my 9mm.

Best of luck Protector. I feel your pain!

1 Like

A lot of discussion on several topics left almost nothing unsaid, so my 2 cents is just that. The old timer mail man who trained me when I started as a mail carrier told me this: pass on the provided pepper spray in favor of a squirt bottle capable of a long, sharp stream, filled with vinegar, as the best dog deterrent he knew. To his plan, I added a small wooden bat to the ever present knife in my pocket, and those, combined with some knowledge of dogs and common sense, kept safe thru a career. Only ever had to use the bottle a handful of times, but was amazed how well it worked. There is some common sense offered by others above that seems sound too, ways to handle the situation w/o pellets. Ya’ll stay safe, above all.

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay in responding and welcome to the Community @TheProtector! I would think of a pellet gun in a similar fashion to pepper spray when it comes to MD state laws. They have a section on “weapons” and some can be considered dangerous weapons. Here is a link to the statute. Maryland Code, Criminal Law § 4-101 | FindLaw.
The problem I see is that they would likely consider a pellet gun a dangerous weapon. It is also unclear when it says it is illegal to carry a dangerous weapon concealed and then says it is illegal to carry it openly.
And the best or worst part of the statute is that it is “subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.”

4 Likes