Silly Question? Please Help!

Also, my Bing.com search for “Maryland legal definition of a firearm” produced, among some other results:

Unlawful Possession of a Firearm in Maryland | Serious Consequences

which says

“If a person is facing charges for unlawful possession of a firearm in Maryland, it is important to understand the legal definition of a firearm. A firearm is considered any weapon that can expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. There are regulated firearms in Maryland. Regulated firearms mean a handgun and then different types of weapons that have been classified as assault weapons. There are firearms that are shotguns or rifles that are not nearly as regulated as other types of firearms such as handguns and automatic weapons. The penalty depends on the violation that is being alleged.”

Emphasis mine.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant the definition of firearm in Maryland. That’s the relevant definition to the original question.

1 Like

That’s why I was looking. If a firearm is defined as something operated by an explosive, then I don’t see how pellet guns fall under that umbrella. (Unless Maryland law still regulates them as “handguns”?)

2 Likes

Exactly!, if Maryland is saying “explosion” then a pellet gun high powered or not is technically NOT illegal, I’m not taking any chances however the Maryland State Police stated that it IS perfectly legal however the county told me that it’s illegal and I think in my own opinion that the county is wrong. Hypothetically speaking lets say I did carry my SIG X5 and DID use it in a self defense situation and went to court then based on Maryland law I could not be prosecuted because it’s an air gun and NOT classified as a firearm.

1 Like

Maryland considers a bb gun / pellet gun a fire arm like new jersey you need a background check to purchase one, just be careful with states like Maryland because each County has different ordnances and they vary widely from county to county

1 Like

You don’t need a CCW or a background check in Maryland to purchase one, as long as you are 18 years of age. The only time I needed to do a background check was when I purchased my 9mm, shotgun etc. Maryland has no regulation on BB/Pellet guns as far as background check for those.

1 Like

Outside of a gun range, is absolutely illegal. If the person is not hunting, it is illegal. Firing a gun into the air or on private property or a farm in some fashion is illegal. In a tight environment in the city or somewhere similar, there are public announcements made on major holidays not to discharge a weapon. It sounds silly, but people still do it. If a person unlawfully discharges their weapon in a populated area, the person could be charged with recklessly endangering the greater public. Even an accidental discharge can result in charges. If a person does not properly carry their firearm, it goes off in their pocket and shoots a hole in the sidewalk or their foot, the person can be charged for that and the penalties can be quite severe.

This includes BB guns and pellet guns which are prohibited. Depending on what the circumstances are and the type of firearm that was discharged, the penalties can certainly vary, but the prosecutors do try to send a message with these. If a person is not at a firing range, the best bet is the person probably should not be firing that gun unless he is out hunting. Hunting requires a permit and it must be in season.

Unlawful discharge of a weapon outside of a target practice or anywhere that a person can lawfully use a firearm, in the event that the person is not hunting, the maximum penalty is a misdemeanor that is a fine of $250 to a $1,000.

2 Likes

You all don’t need me! You’ve got this!

In a state that does not have friendly firearm laws, I would be very hesitant to carry anything that resembles a firearm even if it wasn’t a “real” firearm (pellet gun, bb gun, squirt gun that looks like a “real” gun).

Even in states where I can carry, I would do everything I could to avoid shooting a dog. People are incredibly attached to their dogs (“fur-babies” check out this thread: Self-defense against a dog). Shooting their dog will cause issues, even if they were in the wrong.

I have a pit bull and I let her out to do her business without a leash in my yard (no fence). However, she is well trained and would rather lick you to death than bite you. That specific breed gets a very bad rap. :frowning: This is what she does 99% of the time outside (when she’s not doing her business:

7 Likes

Yes I get that but you stated that you had to do a background check to purchase BB/Pellet gun in Maryland which is not the case, BB/Pellet guns are UNREGULATED in Maryland they don’t do background checks for those, you can walk in your nearest sports authority, Walmart and buy a BB/Pellet gun and walk right out of the door here in Maryland

3 Likes

How far are you from DC? Or a city I say get your local ordinance to get the specific details because from my experience bb/pellet guns are considered firearms in Prince George County Riggs rd area this was like 25 yrs ago I’m referencing

1 Like

Not the background check though

1 Like

Your county may have stricter laws than the state does. If the county said its illegal, have them provide the statute so you can confirm it for yourself.

I think you’re focus is too narrow on the legality of whether it it legal to carry a pellet gun (it may or may not be, IMO if its not clear… don’t).

Shooting a dog with a pellet gun is opening you up to (pardon the pun) a bag o’ cats legally. If you dont have real solid proof that dog was attacking you, and you only have a dog with a pellet stuck in its hide dont be surprised at the animal cruelty charges.

@Owen2 's post above on errant shot/ricochet consequences/liability is spot on as well. If this was a firearm we were discussing, we would say “you own every bullet”. A pellet gun would be the same.

Your much safer bet is a walking stick, or pepper spray.

3 Likes

More correct you need a firearms purchaser ID card in new jersey to purchase a bb gun. With new jersey it’s probably because it says gun in the name lol

2 Likes

oh okay, yeah they don’t regulate bb and pellet guns but IF you use them in a way that is illegal you can be prosecuted but the prosecution might have a hard time convicting you because of the legalities of a pellet gun. Let’s say I use my pellet gun after being attacked by two guys who try to jump me (hypothetically) I shoot the guys in the face. Now the first thing is since it’s an unregulated device, the prosecution has no grounds because it it not classified as regulated firearm so they cannot charge you with carrying a firearm because you didn’t have a “firearm” based on Maryland law. second there’s no CCW associated with it, when you apply for a CCW in Maryland your asking to get a concealed permit to carry a REGULATED firearm, when I contact the Maryland State Police they specifically stated that I don’t need a CCW for that so, the prosecution cannot and legally won’t be able to charge you with anything and third because it was self defense your 2nd amendment rights allow you to protect yourself ( I would think)

1 Like

I would also HIGHLY recommend a high-power flashlight. Non-lethal, with sufficient lumens its blinding, good for illuminating dark corners and shows you are paying attention.

When my daughter was in college I sent her with one of my flashlights (at the time 500 lumens). If a sketchy person was following, light them up and yell “stop following me!” (or something else appropriate). The person’s response will tell you alot about their intentions. Aiming the light (with enough lumens) at their face removes their “visual horizon” and they cant see what you are doing. Maybe now you reach into your pocket to get your pepper spray. If you want to de-escalate down a notch, bring the light to their torso you can still see their hands, face, etc. To get control back you bring the light back up to their face.

The consequences for shining a light at the wrong person is way less than the consequences for pepper spraying the wrong person which are way less than shooting the wrong person.

5 Likes

I completely understand which is why I don’t carry anything, laws are too sketchy and ■■■■ these days the only thing I can do is protect my home and if anything occurs away from home I’ll just have to die, get killed or pray that I don’t because this JUST-US system is extremely biased toward anyone protecting themselves. The system would rather you lay dead while they go into a political frenzy on the legalities of you protecting yourself using whatever you have, hell I’m even skeptical on carrying mase, or buying a Byrna that I had mentioned before, These laws are ■■■■ in this country, I’d rather live in a state that makes more sense like VA. Maryland approves a CCW every 500 years to 1 legislative judicial working in the handgun permits section of the police department…

1 Like

damn! that’s terrible, you actually need a firearms purchaser id for a bb gun in jersey? wow!

3 Likes

I’m going to be honest, I’m not messing around that spider web of Maryland ordinances from what I saw they treat any replica and such as a fire arm because it can be perceived as a firearm at first glance God forbid you just happen to defend your self with one the drama comes because it’s unregulated and considered a dangerous weapon by the prosecution better if you got mace and used it than go through the hassle of whether you intended grave bodily harm or you feared for your life and you know a wounded criminal trumps a defended you anytime ask any police officer they win the criminal case but lose the Civil one

2 Likes

Exactly!, I’m not taking ANY chances F$@CK THAT!

2 Likes

I agree # facts lol

2 Likes