Concealed Carry License / Gun registration in D.C

Has anyone here gone through the D.C. carry license / registration process with a gun they already own? Presumably this would be a non-D.C. resident or possibly moved into D.C. already owning a gun, since it’s basically one permit to carry and to purchase. Anyway… the gun registration application seems to assume that the applicant does not yet own the firearm. It says at the top that “No transfer of a firearm between the seller and the purchaser may be made until a reply from the Chief of Police has been received by both parties involved” and later that both the seller and buyer must sign the form in each other’s presence. I have my application appointment this coming week and as a non-resident I’m planning to register a gun that I already own. Anyone in the same situation know how to fill this out?

2 Likes

Wish you luck brother, I stay away from states like D.C. with their unconstitutional laws.

5 Likes

I hear you on that. Definitely not my favorite place to go but can’t avoid it sometimes.

1 Like

I suggest you ask whomever you are going to meet,

1 Like

Knowing DC, they probably made it as confusing as possible on purpose. I would recommend maybe taking one of those DC CCW classes and as part of the class I believe they help you fill out all the relevant paperwork. There are a couple in the USCCA network along with others not in the network.

1 Like

Yeah they certainly do. 16 classroom + 2 range hours of training, fingerprinting, registering any firearm you would ever want to carry there, 2 documents to prove residency, about $105 in fees. And it’s only good for 2 or 3 years.
I did take the class and the instructor provided a lot of links with instructions as well as signing and completing the proof of training form, but it’s just this little detail giving me difficulty. I will end up calling tomorrow but you never know what kind of help you’re going to get on the phone, so I was hoping maybe someone here had gone through the process before. The vast majority of the class were definitely D.C. residents and very few if any already owned a gun and some were shooting for their first time at the range.

1 Like

Well I called this morning and the lady who answered was very helpful. She said just fill out the rest of the information as is, don’t worry about whether I already have the firearm or not. Most importantly, she said don’t worry about getting the seller’s signature, which is great since I’m in VA and the store is either in Florida or South Carolina, depending which one I register. I’m still deciding because D.C. has a 10-round magazine limit.

2 Likes