Concealed Carry Relocation

*I have just relocated to NC from Texas and I am wondering what procedures I need to go through to have my Texas concealed carry license transferred to NC.*Also, where can I have it done?

2 Likes

@Ercell - welcome to the community.

I know of no state that allows a “transfer” of a concealed carry license. You must apply in your state. You may want to start here.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family @Ercell and god bless you and your family. Most of the times you can deal with the city hall or law enforcement in your jurisdiction. They can guide you. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

FYI When I moved Into Idaho I was required to wait six months for residency before getting CCW or Hunting/Fishing license.

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

@Ercell Welcome to the community! We are glad to have you! Best wishes with your move.

1 Like

Thanks!!

2 Likes

I moved to NC from PA with PA, Utah, and Arizona permits. NC recognized all my permits BUT they require an 8-hour training class and live fire test to get a certificate that will go to your county sheriff. In Rowan County, there are lots of places that have CCH classes for $50 to $100 dollars plus the cost of your ammo. The Sheriff’s office can be contacted for a face to face appointment for the CCH once you have your training certificate and then a call back to pick up your permit. Since the Chinese virus started spreading, everything has slowed down so it could take a couple of months after you have your certificate from the training class to get your CCH.

NC still has an old “Jim Crow” law on the books. One must get a Pistol Purchase Permit from the local Sheriff before one can purchase a pistol. If one has a NC CCH, one can purchase a pistol (or as many pistols as they can afford) just by walking in to the FFL that has what they wish to purchase, showing the CCH, filling out the Federal Paperwork, passing the Federal background check, and paying for their desired purchase.

One nice thing about NC (unless it has changed last year with all the other 2020 weird things) is that private party sales of a handgun is legal when you have a valid NC driver’s license and valid CCH (or pistol purchase permit).

Hope this helps. IF you are in Rowan County, I can point you to two different CCH trainers.

Gary

2 Likes

Thanks!!

1 Like

Welcome to NC, I was born and raised here but when i joined the military, I got a FL ccw. Once I moved back I had to take the class all over again. It sucks but it was what needed to be done. If you moved to the triangle area( Orange, Durham,Wake counties), contact me, I know trainers in these areas and are pretty reasonable and professional. As of October, if in Durham and Wake counties be ready to wait, cause its about a six month process even for renewals. Orange is at 60 days. Hope this helps.

2 Likes