I have a Texas LTC but may be moving to North Carolina

Will i need to change my Texas LTC to a North Carolina resident LTC ?

2 Likes

that’s exciting, John!

If a person with a Texas license to carry establishes residency in another state, the license is valid until it expires provided he or she submits the correct name/address change form.

I would definitely still suggest getting your Resident North Carolina permit. You can apply for your permit to the sheriff of your county once you have been a resident of North Carolina for 30 days.

You can find more about residency change laws on the USCCA Reciprocity and Gun Laws Map here: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/tx-gun-laws/#permit_info

6 Likes

Your Texas reciprocity ends once you establish your residency in NC. You will have to complete an 8 hr. class and pass a shooting proficiency exam to get your CCP. The time required to get your permit will vary from county to county, pretty much at the whim of the County Sheriff. In Mecklenburg County you can expect to wait nearly a year after submitting your application before getting your permit. In other counties it can be a simple walk-in/walk-out process. Check with a local gun store in your proposed county of residence to get the full scoop. Welcome to NC.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family!

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @John1414. To appended to what Larry130 has already stated, in Cumberland County the “average” wait time is about 45 to 60 days after your application has been completed, depending on the case load, but just know that there will always be a few outliers - not every application is the same, which could bring about a delay, perhaps even beyond 90 days. But again, welcome.

2 Likes

Sorry. That is not correct. As long as his Texas CC is still valid in the issuing state it’s valid in NC. NC recognizes ANY valid CC License from ANY state. There is no residency in the issuing state requirement. And now there is no restriction on buying handguns either. As long as he has a valid NC drivers license and passes the NICS check he can take a handgun home the same day.

That being said it’s still smart to get a NC license because several other states will not recognize Licenses from states where the licensee is NOT a resident. Last I checked SC is one of those, so if you are a resident of NC but have a valid TX permit you can not carry in SC.

3 Likes

I stand corrected. There is no mention of residency in NC law that specifically addresses this. As long as an intervening LEO knows the law you are OK. Personally, I wouldn’t take that chance.

3 Likes

It’s a common misconception but I’ve been an NC Instructor for a long time now so I made sure I had this directly from the DOJ. And yes I have corrected several LEOs along the way. It’s tough for those guys to keep the amount of info hey need to do their jobs straight.

But I agree with you, while I would not be afraid to carry with my TX permit (I carried for a while with my NY and FL permits) it’s just a lot more convenient to have a NC permit if you are a resident. Not only it allows you to carry in other states (I think 37 last I checked) without issues, but it also bypasses the NICS check when you buy a handgun and it makes private handgun sales effortless.

4 Likes

By the way if you PM me and let me know what town you’re moving to I might be able to recommend a good class because there are a lot of REALLY bad ones out there. I’m not actively teaching CCW now because I’m moving to AZ but I know a lot of good instructors in this state.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family @John1414 and we are happy to have you here. God bless you sir.

2 Likes

Permanent change of residence to NC?
:us:

2 Likes

I stand corrected as well. Thank you for the diligence, and watchful eye.

3 Likes

Hey maybe someday we’ll have a National Carry license that will straighten out this crazy network of local regulation. But until then the USCCA has the best info and website to get the best summary of state laws but even the experts are confused about many aspects so we all have to support each other :+1:

4 Likes

My CCP instructor, a County Dep. Sheriff, it the one that provided me with that information. Siempre cuidadoso.

2 Likes

Yeah, just about the worst place to get this type of info is the local Sherriff and his office. There is not a week that goes by that my friends that own gun stores don’t get into a confrontation in their stores because someone will walk in looking to purchase something that the local Sherriff said they could, and my friends CAN’T do it because it’s not legal at a state or fed level.

Again, these guys are NOT legal experts and God only knows keeping tabs on laws is a challenge, but it kills me when they are acting as CCP instructors and give out bad info about permits when a quick call to DOJ, who is in charge in NC of everything that has to do with CC and Instruction, would clear it up.

Many of the are still telling students that if an officer asks you to surrender your CC firearm you have to comply and take it out of concealment and set it in the open, like your dashboard or hand them over to the officer. That is COMPLETE nonsense. If an officer wants to relieve you of your CC gun you need to tell them that you will follow all their instructions but THEY need to do it. Again as per DOJ.

5 Likes

THAT IS EXACTLY RIGHT!!! “For my safety, will you retrieve it from my person?” With my hands where he or she or they can clearly see them as empty and palms facing. I’m taking no chances whatsoever.

6 Likes

ENZO T:
Have fun in AZ brother! Welcome to the great Southwest ! Where Men are still Men (mostly) and Women are usually still Women ! :grin:

5 Likes

No kidding, if a cop asks for my gun it’s “4 o’clock condition 0 officer, I’ll keep my hands right here while you get it…”.

9 Likes

That’s exactly how our Deputies do it. My older brother and I were out on the BLM by his house years ago and didn’t see any “congested area” signs(at that time they had just defined because of the new land owner got permits to put in a new development). So 2 Deputies came driving along and stopped approx 200 feet away and asked us if we’re were finished and where our firearms were located, mine were packed up, brother had one on his hip. They had him walk backwards toward them and they took it off his hip, then we all chatted for about 20 minutes. Cool Deputies.

7 Likes

Never been asked for my firearm by my LEOs here. But absorb lessons from all the folks here :us:

5 Likes