Mecklenburg change of address

It is crazy how difficult it has been to find an answer to this question… maybe someone here can help.

I have a CHP in Mecklenburg county (NC), and I moved but am still in the same county. I submitted all the proper paperwork, and was informed on Jan. 20th that they are sending me an updated permit with my new address. I still don’t have it. While I wait, am I legally permitted to conceal carry with my old permit, which is still valid but has my old address that doesn’t match my new DL?

I have been calling the sheriff’s office for WEEKS. They don’t answer. I leave messages. They don’t return my calls. I send emails. They don’t respond. What is this? I plan on going to the office this week to ask in person, but it’s ridiculous to have to do that. If anyone here is able to bring me some clarification to save me the trip, that would be wonderful :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

My county up north of you. I carried till other permit made it. Did you change DL also?

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community @Matthew_Jacob! Here is another link for information, not sure if you seen it yet.

3 Likes

Yup sure did, I have my new DL already. That’s what I’m worried about---- having to present my DL and my CHP and there being a problem cause of the mismatch of addresses.

2 Likes

I believe, that if you applied for a replacement, and have proof thereof, you are legal so long as your permit has not expired.

3 Likes

It took me about a week up here to get my replacement permit after moving. I know my Sheriff here. Never have a problem asking him questions. You have a different deal being it’s a large population center down there… Heck just call them and ask. Don’t think it will hurt anything

1 Like

Also do you have anything showing where you requested change of address that would be good also

2 Likes

In response to your suggestion to “just call them and ask,” please see my post again… It ain’t “just” that easy in this embarrassment of a county.

As for having proof, I guess the best I can do is print the email they sent me saying my new permit is on the way, but that’s nothing official so wasn’t sure if that would do me good.

1 Like

Oh yeah I understand. Was just going by what I know from here

2 Likes

It’s really too bad so many states require a mommy may I permission slip from the government before exercising what is supposed to be an uninfringed Right

5 Likes

I don’t think I’d care about this at all. Just carry the files you need to show proof.

Asking here is a good way to get your application “lost”.

You wouldn’t? Okay, I mean what’s at stake is potentially being charged with a felony. Being well -informed and having all the relevant information is always a good idea.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, North Carolina does not require a permit for open carry

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/terminology/carry-types/open-carry/

4 Likes

Sounds like another example of “We’re here from government to help.”

1 Like

My renew took forever, way past the expiration date of the one it was repackng. I called and they said don’t worry about it. Everyone knows that everyone is behind.

A bit like this brace thing. It’ll solve itself before they arrest…everyone.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Matthew_Jacob. Glad you’ve joined us.

Since the Sheriff of Mecklenburg County is the one that issued your permit, I will assume that they have also informed you of what to do in the event you change your address and how to notify them of the change and subsequently handle yourself while the notification of the change of address is in process.

This is only my opinion as I live in Cumberland County; if I have done what is required and my current permit is not expired, I would continue to carry, keeping my permit with me, but also a copy of the text or email or letter sent to notify them [SD] of the change. I’d do this because if it’s so important that I notify them that my address changed. then it’s just as important enough for me to keep a copy of how I notified them of that change on my person along any subsequent documents appertaining, along with my still current permit. So, if there is a failure somewhere, at least that failure is not on my part. JMHO. This may sound a bit rudimentary, but I believe it will CMA. And I would advise that you CYA.

Again, welcome.

3 Likes

WOW Virginia has some bad gun laws, but I can truthfully say I always been pleased with my CCL renewal. Recently went in courthouse filled out the paperwork. Got a text and email before I got back to my truck saying that it was being processed. 4 days later received text and email saying it was approved and in the mail. About 5 more days it was in my wallet. I’m impressed, considering the number of non work days and a holiday. People in Courthouse were polite and helpful.

2 Likes