Mecklenburg County North Carolina Conceal Carry Permit

I applied for my Conceal Carry Permit in Mecklenburg County, NC (Charlotte) in August. They make it very difficult to obtain. They require a mental health report from every facility before they will issue you a permit. They even send it to the VA even though I’m not a veteran. According to NC law they have 45 days to decision it after the mental health evaluations come back.

According to their own website (the 3rd slide on the link below), they are now out of compliance with the law. Is there anything I can do? My take is they are purposely slow walking the permits and now they are sitting on them again. Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks!

https://www.mecksheriff.com/index.php/gun-permits/

2 Likes

When the sheriff comes up for re-election, be sure to give money to his opponent, put his opponent’s yard sign in front of your house and encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Robert1350

3 Likes

@Robert1350 it’s unfortunate that you are having to wait to get your permit. Have you inquired as to the hold-up? It may simply be backlog.

Though we are a “shall issue” state, there are things that occur that just cannot be overcome due to recent events. Things may be well where you are, but the supply-chain has been impacted in various industries and will take time to work out and/or catch up. At least talk to them first, before allowing your thoughts to take you places you don’t need to go.

A little more patience just might be enough. Remember this, your Sheriff is the proponent for issuing your permit. No one’s going to force him or her to do it ahead of what they can reasonably produce. they will get to you, just hang in there. Also, if you’re waiting, that means you are not by yourself. If you make waves for yourself unnecessarily, who will restore those boisterous waters back to placid passivity?

Hang in there. Practice patience. Use this as a training tool. Not what you want to hear. But what can we do here?

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Robert1350

2 Likes

The Sheriff here runs unopposed. It is one of the bluest counties in NC (other than Wake).

1 Like

Thanks! Trying to be patient but it seems as if they aren’t following the laws / statutes that are in place. I totally understand about making waves! I suppose I will wait my 6-8 months and hopefully it shows up at some point.

2 Likes

Anecdotally, In Utah they have 60 days, I got mine in the mail on day 58, and we’re a 2A friendly state.

4 Likes

There are always exceptions to the rules. In a perfect world you wouldn’t need a permit. In a perfect system you wouldn’t need to wait. But that’s not our reality. You have to wait sometimes. This just happened to be “one these times.” I’m sure they can justify the length in time. However, it still would not hurt you to simply ask them what the hold-up may be.

3 Likes

And so is NC despite us having a blue governor.

But what I’m trying to convey to the OP is that pushing will not speed up the process, if so, not necessarily for him. I’m glad I won’t have to worry about renewal for another two years. Even then, I get my paperwork ready for submission at least 65 days in advance. And at 59 days, I submit my renewal. But having done so, my permit can be extended through to the clearance of any additional waiting period due to unforeseen administrative backlogs. And believe me, there is a backlog. Especially with the USCCAs curriculum now being accepted in our state for Concealed Carry.

5 Likes

Thanks. I will call and ask. Initially it was the mental health check from the VA that they said was backed up. Again, not sure why they wait on the VA when I’m not a veteran but it is what it is. I can see that the VA has responded (as have all the other mental health providers). Therefore the 45 day clock should have started ticking on my application about 45 days ago.

2 Likes

well, that’s a potential “black hole” right there! The VA! You know they are not in rush to breathe regularly, let alone push a record’s check for a gun permit out the door, See, how that can lengthen the time? By them checking the VA as a check the block measure, don’t present a reason for them to stare at it, or give it a second looksy.

2 Likes

Exactly. The county added all these extra mental health checks from every mental health provider. None of them were prepared to handle the volume, especially the VA. That’s why it’s taking upwards of a year in some cases.

1 Like

I’m in Charlotte also. Nothing you can do. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks. How long did yours take?

1 Like

It’s unfortunate it is taking a long time for them to process your request.
I recently took my CCW class in early November and the instructor told us that many counties are taking between 45 and 90 days to get the requests processed.
I do know in Cumberland, where Fayetteville is located, they are well over 60 days according to a couple people I know at the range that live up there.
Evidently I live in a quiet and slow county, Hoke, and I had my permit 4 weeks after having took my class.
I wasn’t even looking to receive mine until after the 1st of the year, so imagine how surprised I was to get the notification it was ready to pick up.
I hope it doesn’t take much longer for you 2 to get yours, but relax and enjoy the holidays and hopefully shortly thereafter you’ll get it.

3 Likes

That’s the problem with CCW permits, isn’t it? They are an invitation for local LE to slow-roll permits or deny them to political opponents. You COULD sue them, but they can draw on free legal representation in the form of the county attorney and virtually unlimited taxpayer funds. The average citizen, on the other hand, gets to use his/her resources to sue the sheriff in an attempt to get them to do their job.

2 Likes

Not sure what you can do, the government doesn’t necessarily follow the law.

Try to get Permitless aka Constitutional Carry passed going forward, 25 of 50 states have so far.

2 Likes

Mine was a renewal. It was still America here in NC when I got my first one. Now it is more like CT/NY from all of the transplants.

4 Likes

Thanks! Hope you enjoy the holidays as well! Down time gives me plenty of time to pick out a new carry gun ha ha.

1 Like