My county is making people jump through hoops for a ccw permit!

He everybody, I live in Pennsylvania, Lezurne County to be specific and unfortunately my ccw expired during the covid 19 pandemic and I along with plenty of other citizens believe the Sheriff’s department (who issues the permits) is handling the situation very poorly. It used to be as simple as go to the office fill out an application, hand it in wait for a quick background check and as long as your clean your out the door with your permit the same day, now they closed all local offices making hard for people without reliable transportation due to having to travel a significant distance, on top of that once you get there you have to fill out the application (outside) and put it in a drop off box, wait for the application to be received. Once received you then have to wait up to 45 days to contact you with a date for an appointment (witch im sure will not be the next day) to go travel back down there to finally get your permit. Unfortunately at the moment I do not have reliable transportation, dont live close to the sheriffs office and I know they say not to go anywhere with you gun you wouldn’t go without but in reality I would be self confining covid or not. I wan to have that peace of mind knowing I can protect my family but as of now I cant do so legally. I can open carry but I feel uncomfortable doing so and once I enter a vehicle its considered concealed. Its sad that if they don’t get there $20 they won’t hesitate to consider you a felon.
Any advice or opinions are appreciated
Thank you for reading!

2 Likes

Many sheriff’s departments around the nation are being sued–successfully, for changing the rules or just dragging their feet. Perhaps your local 2A groups will band together and file suit.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I will have to research local second amendment groups and hope there are more people in the same boat as me. I want to believe the they have good intentions for this process but they could easily send one deputy to the local office one day a week like they used to and have us drop off the application and wait in our vehicle until its time for you to take your photo. I’m curious if any other counties/states are having similar issues.

2 Likes

I live int he people’s republic of Maryland and had to jump through many hoops, interviews, letters, “evidence” and checks over many months to get a, highly restrictive, 2A rights card years ago. COVID, however, has had a positive impact on the process here. They eliminated the penalty for renewing late and at the same time (not necessarily COVID related) they removed restrictions for business owners upon renewal.
Sorry my neighbors to the north are getting the run-around.

5 Likes

Yeah its unfortunate for us, im obviously still going to go through the process, even if i have to rent a vehicle to get down there. Its just not right we have to pay to get it in the first place now I have to add these extra expenses on top of it. I’m by no means paranoid not having my firearm (well maybe just a little bit) but that sence of security I’ve had for the past 5 years is gone.
COVID is no joke on how it effected the country but im glad there is some light in the dark for those in Maryland.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are in the right place at the right time.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are blessed to be here.

3 Likes

Welcome @Brandon46 and @Lugly to the community. Unfortunately this time of pandemic and political unrest has slowed everything down and has brought out the worst in people. There are plenty of sheriffs the don’t want to arm the citizens right now because of the political unrest.

It is wrong and @Danny28 was right what he said that sheriff’s were getting sued, counties were getting sued. As for your car issue and carrying, that’s a tough one. Might I suggest a taser or some pepper spray for your car for now until you get everything straightened out with your CCW.

6 Likes

Im not a fan of tazers but I will probably pick up a pocket oc spray, i have one somewhere but its definitely expired by now. I have a neighbor up the street that carries a small net gun when he walks his dog lol.

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of tasers either but we can’t carry a gun and protection is your number one. Tasers aren’t so bad.

1 Like

I can’t help you on the timeline for renewing…but if your permit expired after March 19th, it was extended out until the end of September. You should be good until the end of the month anyway. Certainly doesn’t help your current situation, but I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to get your application turned in.

5 Likes

That helps a lot actually. Mind if I ask where you got your info, Im surprised after calling and expressing my concerns the deputy on the phone wouldn’t tell me that.

1 Like

From PSP’s website…

https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-information/Pages/Firearms-Information.aspx

3 Likes

Many thanks for finding the info, you made my day and a few others. Surprised the sheriffs/ license division doesn’t have this posted. So i guess I’m clear for a bit and hope the process doesn’t actually take the possible 45+ days. I would even pay extra to expedite my application.

2 Likes

No problem. If nothing else…it buys you some time. :+1:t2:

Hopefully you get renewed relatively quick. To help expedite the process, you could fill out the application before taking it down there. See linky below:

3 Likes

I already have the application filled out i just need to photocopy my info and I will call tomorrow to see if I could fax or email it.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community. sorry for all the hassle trying to get your ccw renewed

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, from Michigan

2 Likes

Here you got to have your ccw permit to carry a taser.

2 Likes

Welcome @Brandon46 and @Lugly!

3 Likes