Conceal Carry/Military/Out of State Question

I’m asking this for my son. My son is officially a Tennessee resident. He has a TN CC permit. he is active duty Army. He was currently transferred to Ft. Bragg, NC where he has an apartment in Fayetteville, NC. Is he legal to CC in NC? Does he have to also get a NC CC permit? I know since he is active duty in the military he does not have to change his TN drivers permit and he is allowed to have TN tags on his car. He asked me about this recently so I thought I’d ask you guys. Thanks.

4 Likes

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/nc-gun-laws/

@James1140 Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. :us:

5 Likes

@James1140

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/tn-gun-laws/

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @James1140 and you are blessed to be here.

I would think he is good as long as his drivers lic matches his CCW permit. But still confirm. thank him for his service :us:

3 Likes

I’m also a NC Concealed Carry Instructor and NC recognizes any valid permit from any state. Make sure he acquaints himself with NC laws on deadly force and CC carry. There are differences from TN. If he needs any guidance have him contact me thank him for his service fir me.

5 Likes

Yes, I thought so. But for someone with more knowlege than I to confirm never hurts

2 Likes

In general I believe a resident TN license would no longer be valid when your State residency changes. Most States require that if you spend a certain amount of time in their State you have to change your residency to there.

I believe there is an exemption for active duty military having to change residency. But this should be confirmed.

2 Likes

That would be correct but as the OP mentioned military personnel are not obligated to forego their residency when they are re-assigned. My son used my address for many years while on active duty and through many assignments until he finally decided that AZ was a better address. So as long as the son keeps his TN residence his TN CCW is good in NC. Now, if he changes his residency to NC he has to be a NC resident for 30 days before he applies for a NC CC license. In the mean time as long as his TN license is still valid he can CC using that until his NC license is issued.

3 Likes