Challenge State Law

I am a fairly new Gun Owner, I am 61- I Live in a State that does have Open Carry Law and does offer CC Permits. I want to CC not Open Carry, So the requirements to obtain a CCP are not totally difficult here are the requirements. Most of these items i really do not have an issue with, But take note of the third (**) I personally think that this is a invalid request - What and why will any one opinion have anything to do with me wanting to carry concealed gun for my protection- I don’t get that - I am new to the community I live in, I may know my neighbors but what responsibility would they have, let alone me asking them to write a note about my character. I think I want to fight this requirement - Can I win this

• Must be at least 18 years old.
  • Complete a firearms training course.
  • have five references from the county you reside in. The references shall clearly state that the applicant is a person of full age, sobriety and good moral character, that the applicant bears a good reputation for peace and good order in the community in which the applicant resides, and that the carrying of a concealed deadly weapon by the applicant is necessary for the protection of the applicant or the applicant’s property, or both.
  • Have never been convicted in Delaware or elsewhere of a felony or a crime of violence.
  • If under 25 years old have never been, as a juvenile, adjudicated as delinquent for conduct which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony.
  • Have never been convicted for the unlawful use, possession, or sale of a narcotic, dangerous drug, or central nervous system depressant or stimulant.
  • You are not subject to a Protection From Abuse Order issued by a court.
  • Have never been committed for a mental disorder to any hospital, mental institution, or sanitarium.
  • Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
4 Likes

@DavidM58 I am not versed at all in Delaware law, but heck yes… FIGHT THIS!!! Has the FPC or GOA been involved in your states requirements yet?
Why can I write this in public? Because we are so fortunate the 1st Amendment doesn’t require all that crap you listed.

3 Likes

Hey there my friend - I do think this is winnable, I am not sure if any of those organization are involved, But I am going to do some additional research - this is actually preventing me from achieving my CCP - I didn’t need those opinions to purchase a gun why would I need theirs to Carry one - its a flawed requirement that makes no sense nor is it valid

2 Likes

@DavidM58 Well good luck my friend. Also reach out to as many pro-2a politicians as you can. Easy to find, most have a ( R ) after their name. Conversely poking a stick at the ( D ) folks is just plain fun.
What a dopey requirement and a burden on your friends as well. It is also flawed, I could get five friends to write bogus letters that I am the best _______ (fill in the blank). Is the state going to run a background check on people’s references? Maybe they are all felons? Stupid law.

2 Likes

Brother, I think anything is worth the fight!

I’m fighting for something down here in Louisiana, even though it does not affect me…
People need to understand that restrictions are FLATOUT infringement.

Not a lawyer here. I’d play by the rules and get a permit. Then next year follow up with R’s to remove that requirement.
Reverse the order, you’ll probably never see your permit.

1 Like