Conversion Barrels for CCW

Hey Guy and Girls.

I have a G27 (.40 cal) that I carry daily. I am trying to figure out if it is legal or would potentially be an issue if I were to use my 9mm conversion barrel and actually had to use it for protection. Would there or are there any ramifications from shooting 9mm out of it vs the .40 cal in a self defense situation. If I were on the stand having to defend myself (live in California), would I be questioned heavily or would there be an issue with it not being the designated caliber it was sold as. There is just so much talk about always not using a modified gun because they can potentially try and use it against you in court. Just curious. I know some states don’t have to worry about these things but unfortunately in California its a common topic of using a modified gun for CCW. Thanks!!

2 Likes

@Mark_Allen1 Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you.

I always recommend contacting your local or state L.E. agency. :us:
Any answer I give you would be an opinion and a guess. :slightly_smiling_face:
We are fond of saying “anything can and will be used against you”. Crazy world. :roll_eyes:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ca-gun-laws/

3 Likes

Maybe not relevant here, But I would only use the ammunition in a gun that the gun is labeled for. Seems like that would eliminate a whole host of concerns, legal, functional, warranty etc.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Mark_Allen1 and you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

You have to list the gun by serial number on your permit to carry it out there in CA, right?

I personally wouldn’t do something like that as I could very easily see it presented as a “loophole” working your way around that and juice just not worth the squeeze here

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Mark_Allen1. I agree with @BRUCE26 on checking with local law enforcement when it comes to carrying with a conversion barrel.

2 Likes

Your California CCW permit clearly states the make, model, serial number, AND caliber of the pistol you qualified with.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Mark_Allen1 .

It’s amazing, how fast the problem has been clarified here.
:muscle:

3 Likes

Awesome. USCCA also taught me, in a sentinel event, call 911, utilize the resource of our USCCA attorney. Hope I never have to hear it, but in an odd way, it gives me comfort that the authorities’ system actually reminds us we are allowed to be silent and consult our lawyer. Nice. I digress.

Mark_Allen1; may you dig deep and find the letter of the law.

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?”

Source: What Are Your Miranda Rights?

3 Likes

Excellent resource, everyone should read it. As a Corrections Officer for 16 years I have heard the
Miranda Rights read dozens of times and have had to witness by signature the L.E.O. reading the prisoner his or her rights before questioning. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes