Sheriff's office: Alec Baldwin's 'prop firearm' kills one, injures another

It’s possible that you’re correct. It happened some time ago and that I have remembered it wrong. Either way, the end result was the same.

An adult male that has been an actor using “prop” guns for decades is a naive victim and is ignorant of safe handling? That’s far-fetched.

4 Likes

This is fun, I’ve just been backed up by Adam Baldwin.
Furthermore, sorry officer my wife filled my glass and it’s her car and she threw me out of the house! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
Would never hand a loaded firearm to any person nor would I advise them to point it in the direction of another human being!
Alec Baldwin “naive”?

Please don’t take any of this personally, I’m angry at Baldwin and the people who didn’t charge him. And my heart and deepest sympathies go out the the families.

2 Likes

I know it’s a hard thing to do to wait for all the facts to come out before passing judgement, especially based on this dudes politics, but that’s what I am trying to do. still… i can’t quite wrap my brain around the circumstances that would lead up to such an event. I can’t touch a firearm without opening and inspecting the action. can’t do it.

5 Likes

Just so we’re clear, Adam is not related to Alec. :wink:

2 Likes

I know it’s easy to jump on this especially with someone like Alec Baldwin, but I’m reserving judgement until all the facts come out about what happened. I’m realizing how little I even know about blanks and how something like this even could happen, let alone what actually did. I was not aware until looking into this today that there are different types of blanks made for guns that only shoot blanks, and blanks made for “real guns.” I certainly don’t know which type was involved in this incident, it seems that “prop gun” may have different definitions depending whom you ask. And I’m sure there must be several people with some level of responsibility, and it doesn’t sound like much is known (at least publicly) yet about what went wrong.

2 Likes

Agree 100%

Rule #1: Treat all guns as though they are always loaded, and always perform a clearance check every time you pick it up! (1.)

(1.) Slide 3 of Chapter 2 in the USCCA Self Defense Firearms Basics Presentation given by Certified Instructors.

But I highly doubt that these hypocritical elites like Baldwin would ever want someone like me telling them how to safely handle a firearm.

Stay safe out there.

8 Likes

You and me both!

I have run across 3 active duty service members who lost an eye when blanks were fired in a 21 gun salute. I’ll wait for the facts!

2 Likes

I wanted to wait for the facts but it’s Alec effin’ Baldwin :man_shrugging:t4:

Karma’s a female dog, Alec,
with apologies to dogs and their owners :dog:

3 Likes

Reports are saying that the firearm in question was loaded with live rounds and not blanks.

Stay safe.

3 Likes

Hate to say this, but what if this happened to a firearm owner (less likely I would admit), not a big actor like alec baldwin? Would their police be so charitable? I suspect that many would be in a mess of trouble. Only repercussion I have heard is alec baldwin fired his prop master.

7 Likes

The only things clear ATM is that Alec Baldwin has been a huge hypocrite, he opposed guns used by ordinary people for self-defence but was for guns used by millionaire actors to become a few millions richer. I will not be surprised if he is sued in civil court for this, but will be very much surprised to see a criminal charge. Let’s see what happens though

5 Likes

Exhibit A?
Alec Baldwin in The Shadow, 1994

Budget
$25,000,000 (estimated)

Gross US & Canada
$32,063,435

Opening weekend US & Canada
$11,713,845
Jul 4, 1994

Gross worldwide
$48,063,435

Box office numbers from IMDB

3 Likes

This just goes from bad to worse. The assistant director says he didn’t know there were any rounds in the gun he gave Alec Baldwin. There was no “blank” involved; the round apparently went through Halyna’s body and struck the assistant director. There was no “misfire.”

According to local film union members, “a live single round was [here’s that word again] accidentally fired on set.” A producer say it was the result of a “misfire.”

And get this… “Some film industry sources tell KOAT that ‘live’ is a popular industry term that refers to a gun just being ready for filming.” What could possibly be confusing about that?

Any way you look at it, all these differences in statements show that there was a good deal of confusion on the set, and that never bodes well when firearms are being used.

EDIT: This Just In…

4 Likes

Because Keanu is a gun guy and trains 3 gun constantly? He’s also likely smart enough to check the “prop ammo” before hand and load the “prop firearms” himself. Something every single actor handling firearms in movies should be doing.

Baldwin should be charged with criminal negligence resulting in death and serious injury.

6 Likes

I take your point. My hyperbolic analogy was not in direct response to the actual movie set incident, but to the straw argument offered by Scott52. I agree that my scenario is quite a loose fit from several angles for yesterday’s fiasco.

More my actual point is that the multiple references to what a trained and competent firearms owner would know and do may have very little to do with who is responsible for what in this incident. I think our legal system is pretty much settled upon the “reasonable person” standard in judging responsibility for negligence.

It matters nothing what standard of reasonableness you or I would be judged on based upon our record of training, experience, and qualification — that’s for when you or I get in a jam. Reasonableness for Mr Baldwin’s actions would be judged upon his record of training, experience, and qualification.

Everyone seems to think that Mr Baldwin is an uninformed dope when it comes to guns. If that is true, his negligence should be weighed against what a “reasonable uninformed dope” would do in similar circumstances — if an “expert” says this is a good idea, the reasonable uninformed person might accept that conclusion; if the reasonable dope thought they saw something like this work before, they might try to do it again.

This isn’t about guns — it’s the same with any stunt running aground — ropework, pyrotechnics, car crash, shopping carts, whatever — the trained and qualified expert can and should be held to a higher standard than the duffer or poseur.

I have no idea how a competent investigation of the actual facts of the actual events will actually describe what actually happened — let alone who is actually responsible for what parts of the outcome. But I think the serious Baldwin-haters will find more solid ground by looking at the employer/workplace issues — if he is shown to have tried to save $1000 by not hiring a gun stunt supervisor to set up and conduct this trick, he’s toast. But I don’t think being the trigger operator really amounts to much.

2 Likes

Only movie I liked with alec baldwin was “The Hunt for Red October.” He did have a 1911 in that if I am remembering correctly. One would think no live ammunition wouldn’t be present on the set. Something does not add up here.

1 Like

Yeah, I got that, and in truth, that argument made me pause a moment as well.

This, however, I don’t agree with. There needs to be an absolute standard where life and death is concerned. If Baldwin is an uninformed dope, then he shouldn’t be doing what he’s doing. He should only be allowed to handle guns if he’s an informed dope.

I think what garners scorn for Baldwin is his elitist attitude of anti-gun, that we’re all the dangerous ones, and should be suppressed.

1 Like

Given all the hoplophobic actors in Hollywood I don’t think it is unrealistic to think they know nothing about guns. A prop guy puts something in their hands and the director tells them what to do with it. Watching most actors handle guns on screen is a clear indication how little they and their directors know.

They should not be given real guns unless they have been modified to not be able to fire real rounds and those neutered guns should be checked by an experienced person to make sure they can handle blanks without malfunctioning.

Most actors are good at pretending to do things. Few of them are any good at doing the things they are pretending to do.

3 Likes

I believe it is the same standard which allows you an argument after you shoot the guy threatening with the unloaded gun. Reasonable doesn’t make right, it just makes reasonable.

Criminal culpability may also play different from personal liability. Plenty of lawyers will take a turn at this, I’m sure. And don’t get me started on deep pockets or vengeance justice. :worried:

2 Likes