SBR registration

Even if those who choose not to register those AR pistols and/or braces, simply commenting on the proposed regulation provides the ATF with your name and address.

3 Likes

I submitted my comments today, got the email saying my comment was accepted, checked the count, it was still 13,021 as it has been all day :-1:

3 Likes

Just submitted mine and the count was at 21,444

2 Likes

Did you use a fake name and address? :laughing:

2 Likes

Submitted with the name anonymous

3 Likes

Naw, I used my real name (it didn’t ask for address). I figure between the NSA listening/monitoring capabilities that they’re ā€œnot really doingā€, ATF "accidently " tracking things they’re not supposed to while also tracking things they should be…If someone in the Gov’t wanted to do a search they’d have enough info to know who I am and what I own with fairly good accuracy. We’re fooling ourselves if we think otherwise. IMO

4 Likes

I agree, it was a more because I could then anything else

3 Likes
2 Likes

Glad to see the number going up, sure hope it gets into the millions before the cutoff :+1:

I used my real name as well.

4 Likes

My fear is that if 50 million people commented, it would not matter to them. They have their orders and nothing we say or do will dissuade them. Sadly, I think that is where we are in our country.

3 Likes

https://gunownersofamerica.cmail19.com/t/ViewEmail/i/51B681F414A71D0F2540EF23F30FEDED/B7838C63D7E3A8F446778398EADC2510

2 Likes

I commented. At the very least, people will know that 50 million firearm owners are paying attention.

2 Likes

Mr. Guns n gear has a great video referencing comments when the tried to ban 62 grain 556 vs the 545 round the ak74.

Watch his video on the pistol brace atf thing

2 Likes

Honestly, how many people actually know what’s going on? Not everybody follows information sites like this and others. I bet it’s a small percentage and we’re in that percentage. Oh well, I wrote my piece. I’ve found a 16" upper for mine that I like, so I’ll just do the swap if it comes down to it and store the 7.5" elsewhere. Bury it in the rose garden? LOL

2 Likes

As @Dave17 mentions above, there are some subtle but important differences.

Travel is significantly easier with a ā€œpistolā€ than an SBR. If you leave the state with an SBR, you must notify the ATF. AFAIK just sending them a letter is sufficient (you don’t need to wait on a reply), but it’s a hassle. Depending on how near you are to another state and how often you’d carry your rifle there this may or may not be an issue for you. Also, some states have different rules on how a ā€œrifleā€ must be loaded/unloaded in a car versus a ā€œpistolā€.

This also ties into some states (like Virginia) that have CCW permits that only apply to pistols and not rifles. Obviously, no one will carry an AR pistol in a Crossbreed holster on the strong side hip… but ā€œconcealedā€ generally means hidden from common view, so maybe the pistol is in a backpack or in the trunk of your car.

NFA items (including SBR) are regulated firearms so they can’t just be handed down to family if you die, loaned to your buddy to hunt with, sold or bought, without notifying the ATF in some way. So a ā€œpistolā€ in that sense is easier to deal with.

So why would anyone bother jumping through all the legal hoops, pay an extra $200 per firearm, and have your name on a ā€œlistā€? If you want a shorter barrel (the pros/cons of a short barrel are too numerous to list here as I’ve already rambled on too much) without worrying about the ATF capriciously changing the rules on you… this is the only legal route.

These are NOT Trump appointees. Some of these folks have been there since Obama, some even back into the Bush administration. AFAIK, they are not directly appointed by any president, and cannot be directly removed by any president.

The reason they are moving now, is they didn’t think they had the political clout to do these rules before. While they cannot be ā€œfiredā€ by a president, they can be made uncomfortable. IIRC AG Barr (under Trump’s direction) had the DOJ give the ATF a mandate to stop making up and changing rules as they go along. You will notice that all of the ATF’s recent letters have said ā€œwe know it when we see itā€ and ā€œcase by caseā€ basis, which is their way of skirting that mandate because they aren’t technically making any new rules that broadly apply to everyone.

If the Senate were Republican dominated and a Republican president, they might fear more DOJ action or (most of all) reduced funding by Congress as punishment. They saw the writing on the wall that maybe Biden would win and maybe Dems take control of the Senate and felt emboldened to start pushing their agenda. On a call with the Biden transition team, they said their top priorities were pistol braces and 80% lowers. And we see they aren’t even waiting for the ink to dry on Biden’s election before tackling those two items.

7 Likes

Very well written Mr. @Harvey :+1:

5 Likes

You clearly have never been to Oregon :grinning:

Thanks, as ever, @harvey, for this clear explanation. What you say about the relationship between Barr and ATF is interesting and was news to me.

I have to say, this really seems like an odd priority for ATF, and would certainly be an easy ā€œgiftā€ to the 2A community to just give up on regulating SBRs. I get that this started out as a loophole and maybe some on the inside are miffed that too many people are taking advantage of it, but if the name of the game is ā€œscience-driven policy,ā€ I’m not sure where the science is suggesting fewer SBRs result in less violence.

Also, as you point out, while the letter has ā€œobjectiveā€ in the title, their approach is entirely subjective.

In the meantime, best to you and yours, and the whole USCCA family for the holidays!

4 Likes

:rofl:

That’s because there is no science for that :smiley: They account for an infinitesimally (sp?) small percentage of criminal use.

Same to you & yours!

4 Likes

Good News!

5 Likes

WOW! Great news!

2 Likes