SBR registration

That is a great question about the cleaning. He bought that rifle about 18 years ago before we worried about such things. He has no such paperwork. Sorry sir.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the Federal Register I got in the email.
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/12/18/2020-27857/objective-factors-for-classifying-weapons-with-stabilizing-braces?utm_campaign=CMMG%20Inc.%20Statement%20(TfFiE5)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=070720%20-%20Insider%20-%20Segment1&_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIldGTWJGMyIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJyZXY3NDVAaWNsb3VkLmNvbSJ9

2 Likes

Thanks @Jeffrey97, Iā€™ve submitted my comments. The sad thing is that there are only about 13,000 comments so far when hundreds of thousands of gun owners own these braces. We need to speak up if we donā€™t want our rights taken away.

2 Likes

Hopefully I posted this in the correct thread if not let me know family.
Johnnyq60

2 Likes

Even if those who choose not to register those AR pistols and/or braces, simply commenting on the proposed regulation provides the ATF with your name and address.

2 Likes

I submitted my comments today, got the email saying my comment was accepted, checked the count, it was still 13,021 as it has been all day :-1:

2 Likes

Just submitted mine and the count was at 21,444

1 Like

Did you use a fake name and address? :laughing:

1 Like

Submitted with the name anonymous

2 Likes

Naw, I used my real name (it didnā€™t ask for address). I figure between the NSA listening/monitoring capabilities that theyā€™re ā€œnot really doingā€, ATF "accidently " tracking things theyā€™re not supposed to while also tracking things they should beā€¦If someone in the Govā€™t wanted to do a search theyā€™d have enough info to know who I am and what I own with fairly good accuracy. Weā€™re fooling ourselves if we think otherwise. IMO

3 Likes

I agree, it was a more because I could then anything else

2 Likes
1 Like

Glad to see the number going up, sure hope it gets into the millions before the cutoff :+1:

I used my real name as well.

3 Likes

My fear is that if 50 million people commented, it would not matter to them. They have their orders and nothing we say or do will dissuade them. Sadly, I think that is where we are in our country.

2 Likes

https://gunownersofamerica.cmail19.com/t/ViewEmail/i/51B681F414A71D0F2540EF23F30FEDED/B7838C63D7E3A8F446778398EADC2510

1 Like

I commented. At the very least, people will know that 50 million firearm owners are paying attention.

1 Like

Mr. Guns n gear has a great video referencing comments when the tried to ban 62 grain 556 vs the 545 round the ak74.

Watch his video on the pistol brace atf thing

1 Like

Honestly, how many people actually know whatā€™s going on? Not everybody follows information sites like this and others. I bet itā€™s a small percentage and weā€™re in that percentage. Oh well, I wrote my piece. Iā€™ve found a 16" upper for mine that I like, so Iā€™ll just do the swap if it comes down to it and store the 7.5" elsewhere. Bury it in the rose garden? LOL

1 Like

As @Dave17 mentions above, there are some subtle but important differences.

Travel is significantly easier with a ā€œpistolā€ than an SBR. If you leave the state with an SBR, you must notify the ATF. AFAIK just sending them a letter is sufficient (you donā€™t need to wait on a reply), but itā€™s a hassle. Depending on how near you are to another state and how often youā€™d carry your rifle there this may or may not be an issue for you. Also, some states have different rules on how a ā€œrifleā€ must be loaded/unloaded in a car versus a ā€œpistolā€.

This also ties into some states (like Virginia) that have CCW permits that only apply to pistols and not rifles. Obviously, no one will carry an AR pistol in a Crossbreed holster on the strong side hipā€¦ but ā€œconcealedā€ generally means hidden from common view, so maybe the pistol is in a backpack or in the trunk of your car.

NFA items (including SBR) are regulated firearms so they canā€™t just be handed down to family if you die, loaned to your buddy to hunt with, sold or bought, without notifying the ATF in some way. So a ā€œpistolā€ in that sense is easier to deal with.

So why would anyone bother jumping through all the legal hoops, pay an extra $200 per firearm, and have your name on a ā€œlistā€? If you want a shorter barrel (the pros/cons of a short barrel are too numerous to list here as Iā€™ve already rambled on too much) without worrying about the ATF capriciously changing the rules on youā€¦ this is the only legal route.

These are NOT Trump appointees. Some of these folks have been there since Obama, some even back into the Bush administration. AFAIK, they are not directly appointed by any president, and cannot be directly removed by any president.

The reason they are moving now, is they didnā€™t think they had the political clout to do these rules before. While they cannot be ā€œfiredā€ by a president, they can be made uncomfortable. IIRC AG Barr (under Trumpā€™s direction) had the DOJ give the ATF a mandate to stop making up and changing rules as they go along. You will notice that all of the ATFā€™s recent letters have said ā€œwe know it when we see itā€ and ā€œcase by caseā€ basis, which is their way of skirting that mandate because they arenā€™t technically making any new rules that broadly apply to everyone.

If the Senate were Republican dominated and a Republican president, they might fear more DOJ action or (most of all) reduced funding by Congress as punishment. They saw the writing on the wall that maybe Biden would win and maybe Dems take control of the Senate and felt emboldened to start pushing their agenda. On a call with the Biden transition team, they said their top priorities were pistol braces and 80% lowers. And we see they arenā€™t even waiting for the ink to dry on Bidenā€™s election before tackling those two items.

6 Likes

Very well written Mr. @Harvey :+1:

4 Likes