SBR registration

@Enzo_T
I agree the limits were being pushed. It’s the timing I take issue with. They allowed this go on for years and millions of products to be sold under the assumption of it being legal.

I read all of their letters and requirements to own a legal firearm and with a 16 page letter I could be instantly in violation the NFA or GCA. That seems ridiculous

4 Likes

Im on the fence of should I sell mine and go with a 16 inch barrel

1 Like

Only if they state that. As the above video states, you need to register, turn them in, reconfigure to turn them into something else, or not comply with their new rules. Tomorrow, when they change their rules again, the same applies.

With a pistol, many states “allow” concealed carry. With any other classification of firearms, you cannot legally CC. SBRs, SBSs (short-barreled shotgun), AOW (all other weapons), and destructive devices (usually rifles over .50 cal, grenade launchers, mortars, explosives, etc.) are heavily regulated by the ATF, and require registration and payment of $200 to obtain a tax stamp. Also there is an additional FBI background check that usually takes 6 months or more, which includes obtaining your fingerprints. That last part is not an issue for me, as I have probably been fingerprinted more than most criminals.

The other issues with NFA items is how you are “allowed” to travel with them, and transfer them (sales and heirs, etc.). As I do not own any NFA (that I am aware of), I do not know all their rules about them.

It is just one more control over our lives. Ostensibly it was because criminals could more readily conceal an SBR or SBS, than a full-size rifle or shotgun. The ATF definition, here, of a pistol does not even mention length of barrel. It does state that it is designed to be held in one hand, and a couple of other factors, none of which involve size.

I have more links to the ATF site pages, here, on another thread, that provide more information.

5 Likes

This is really helpful, @Dave17 – thanks for taking the time.

2 Likes

SBRs and AOWs have been well described, documented and legal for a looooooooooooong time. They could successfully represent in court case that AR pistol braces were allowed by them but folks started using them in a manner not approved by them (as stocks) and they would not exactly be lying. Not so with SBRs. That would require a change in the law as far as I understand it.

I’ve also heard many folks say that SBRs can’t be transported inside the car with you as handguns can. Agreed, but If it ever gets to the point that I feel I need my SBR on my lap while I drive I think I’ll be caring very little about what’s “legal” at that point because we’ll be talking complete collapse of civilization, at least locally.

5 Likes

If you just use the buffer tube then its not able to be shouldered and is still a pistol?

3 Likes

We’re not there yet, but it’s starting to sound like “If you like your rifle you can keep your rifle.”

4 Likes

Very valid points

I’m not trying to short cut a law. Just very aggravated that I wanted so long waiting for this too happen and it does 6 months after going the pistol route.

3 Likes

I hear you. My son wanted a pistol with a brace for a long time and after a LOT of conversations I convinced him to go the Registered SBR route and now he’s happy he did. I can’t tell you how many times I thought about buying a pistol with a brace and had to pump the brakes on myself. I was really beginning to think I was being paranoid but the government never lets me down with their stupidity, Ana’s again manufacturers thinking they are smarter than everyone else and pushing the limits with their designs don’t help at all.

2 Likes

Everybody finds the legal means around laws, especially unconstitutional and stupid laws. Recall the 1970s with the Tax Shelters? The ATF definition of pistol, the link in my post above, fits these pistols they are now claiming to be SBRs. An SBR is a firearm defined as a rifle, with a barrel less than 16".

2 Likes

Just me. I like the idea of a sbr. Like an adjustable stock. Question is this only a build thing? I’ve got the patience of a badger so just want to buy one. Is this possible?

1 Like

It sounded like that the pistol’s caliber could be a consideration for what is considered an SBR and what is a pistol with a brace? It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with in their final documents.

1 Like

That is not in the definition of an SBR. Go to the ATF site and read it. I have links to pertinent ATF pages on this thread here.

1 Like

Not really out of the box that I can think of. But basically you can buy any AR pistol, submit the paperwork to convert it to an SBR to the ATF and when you get your tax stamp back install a rifle stock. I’m not big if on adjustable stocks so my SBR has a 7.5” fixed metal skeleton type stock.

3 Likes

Very helpful. Thanks

2 Likes

So if you attach the lower with a brace to an upper with a 16" barrel or longer, you’re fine, because then it’s a rifle (I think I got that part correct).

But where does the measuring of the barrel stop? So from the chamber to then end…what if I have a compensator or suppressor attached that make a 13" barrel 16"+? Does that count as barrel length?

1 Like

I think they can, but only if pinned or welded. My buddy has a 14.5" barrel on a Bushmaster AR that has a 1.5" flash suppressor that is welded. It came that way from the factory. It was legal at 16" so equipped.

6 Likes

That was exactly what I have a short barreled Bushmaster with a 3” inch welded flash hider!

Bad news? Below attachment forthcoming from ATF.

4 Likes

Thanks @Jeffrey97, doesn’t seem like the ATF addresses it in those “objective factors” maybe it will be in whatever “clarification” they create…(or maybe it addressed in another ATF ruling).

Maybe we’ll get lucky, but I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like

Thanks @Virgil_H…but then how can I properly maintain/clean it? :wink:

Do you know if your buddy had any language from ATF or Bushmaster on the requirement for it to be pinned/welded?

2 Likes