SBR registration

This is great news and thank God for looking out for his 2A people. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Help is there, 50 grand objected - BREAKING: ATF Doc Suspends Proposed Pistol Brace Guidance – Bearing Arms

3 Likes

Let’s face it!
We may have won this victory, but who thinks that the ATF is just going to give up that easily? They’re only biding their time probably after January 20th.
So let’s not get complacent!
Merry Christmas everyone!

5 Likes

Suppose I have an ar15 pistol & got my tax stamp to change it in a sbr. Can you merely replace the stock with a brace & take across state lines without the atf s permission. ( pistol being legal on next state) ?

2 Likes

I am not sure on this, and it is something I want to confirm before I SBR anything.

I think this is how it works (makes sense to me). I’ll type out my thinking, but it would be nice to get some sort of confirmation from an actual legal expert. Maybe @MikeBKY but this is maybe outside his wheelhouse?

For non-NFA items… if it starts as a rifle it can never be a pistol. But if it starts as a pistol, it can goto rifle and back to pistol no problem.

So I am assuming that the same applies when you SBR it. If it started as a pistol, you should be able to put it into an SBR configuration, then put it back into a pistol configuration. It only needs SBR paperwork when its in SBR configuration.

The thing I’m not sure about though, is now since the lower is an NFA item, does the ATF care that you take an NFA item across state lines? Or does the ATF only care about a complete SBR crossing state-lines? One of my New Years Resolutions is to SBR a pistol and that is one of the questions I will be asking about.

If anyone has a more concrete answer I’d love to hear it.

3 Likes

This is my thought also. I prefer the sbr over an ar pistol, ( if i wanted a rifle caliber pistol I’d just get a draco) just me. Don’t know if I’d ever transport it just info I’d like to know.

2 Likes

I’m sorry I do not know the exact answer to your question, but, I would assume it applies to any components that fall under the NSA, not just a completed firearm.

3 Likes

Where you could get tripped up is if you carried the accessories to make it am SBR while it’s a pistol. I forget how the term it but basically you aren’t allowed to have the parts to assemble an SBR.

Again when walking that line alot of it will depend on the LEO hence why I try to stay as far away from that line as I can. If I had an SBR I’d never reconfigure it. Same as my pistol and rifle. I’ve got them set up and leave them alone.

4 Likes

I guess the best answer is multiple firearms in multiple configurations :wink:

4 Likes

@Harvey, I believe the term is ā€œconstructive possessionā€

Edit: BTW, you can’t throw logic into an inherently illogical arena :rofl:

6 Likes

I can add a bit of info to this. I agree there is no logic involved and as with most ATFE subjects it’s clear as mud. Once you sbr a receiver it is registered as that and no longer a pistol. You can file the paper work as a varied overall length and caliber so you could set it up in myriad ways ie; collapsable stock or folding and diff. calibers and length bbl, but it will still be a registered sbr. If you cross state lines with it you must notify the ATFE. Even if the receiver is unassembled it is still a sbr and all NFA rules would apply. I’m with sheepdog556 in that once I configure it that’s it no changes. As for LEOs your local department is notified when you file the ATF form so there is no secret there.

3 Likes

So you can fill out paper work for different calibers & barrel length but always a sbr?

2 Likes

That receiver once registered as SBR is an ATFE controlled? piece. The paperwork could contain the wording multi-caliber and you can state overall lengths with the stock collapsed and extended. This is your choice as you are the manufacturer of the SBR. The key is that the receiver is serial numbered as a SBR once you get the stamp. Then all NFA rules apply to that receiver.

4 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what happens in the interim period between the time the paperwork is submitted to the ATF and the time approval is received. Say somebody broke in your house and you had to defend yourself with that SBR and it’s not approved, what happens?

2 Likes

Well , first of all, it ain’t illegal yet!

Carry on!

2 Likes

It isn’t an SBR until the ATF says it is. So don’t have your SBR in SBR configuration until you have a letter in hand that says you are allowed to.

5 Likes

Correct, to avoid the legal problems involved with having NFA parts, the best way is to fill out the online paperwork and send in your fingerprints. While you are waiting approval get your receiver engraved. Do not purchase the rest of the parts to assemble until you have approval. The barrel would be the part that I would wait to order or possess. If done online you will get a confirmation email with a printable stamp document. You don’t have to wait for the mail. The wait time has been relatively short, four weeks or so about a year ago, currently I’m not sure.

2 Likes

Or in this current environment, IF you find the barrel buy it and keep it at a family member’s house until you get the approval. How come approval for a silencer is so much longer?

2 Likes

Another thought is if there’s going to be war with China in the USA then will ATF say you can’t use it to fight back against China would be laughable!

2 Likes