Running Errands

Like everyone else is saying you just have to keep carrying until you get use to it, where it’s no different than a wallet or a watch. One thing I’ve found is having the right holster, it might be an investment, but finding that perfect holster can make all the difference in comfort. Welcome to the community

4 Likes

I have an ankle holster that is comfortable, but I’ve considered lately how much trouble it would be to get my pistol into play quickly. I also have a nice high on the belt holster that conceals nicely with my shirt untucked. I’ve always been a button up tucked in shirt kind of guy, but I’m thinking I need to change my image some. I’m rather rotund and don’t like t-shirts since they reveal every roll of fat I like to pretend no one notices. (Working on that). Still thinking this through. :grin:

6 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are blessed to be here.

3 Likes

Have you considered, (tried) the ‘kangaroo’ holster? I believe it would be easier than most to A) wear empty with relative ease and B) slip a gun into and out of as you change situations where you may or may not carry.

4 Likes

I don’t want to scar you with unwanted images. Your computer/smartphone has yet to come with an 'unsee" button. That said, I prefer to wear as little as possible when I’m at home. I have made adjustment based on sound feedback in the group.

6 Likes

I always carry out of the house, unless I’m going to a place where carry is forbidden; ex. schools, post office, courthouse. In addition, when I’m driving, I have a separate car gun that is easier to reach and deploy than trying to draw from my holster while seated, and bring the gun up past shift, steering wheel, etc.

At home, my leisure wear has no belt and will not support on-person carry, even of a gun as lightweight as a Ruger LCP, so I have firearms stationed around the house strategically. Those outside my safe room area- on the other side of the house from the entryway- are loaded with one in the chamber for immediate use. Those elsewhere have combination trigger locks I can deploy rather quickly, making sure I don’t come in the door and find someone using one of my own firearms against me, despite them being hidden, and with reinforced doors, alarm system, etc., giving me the time to unlock them, should they be needed.

I will not disagree with those who carry full time when at home, but my comfort in elastic waistband exercise shorts (now almost 24/7, with COVID-19) trumping the relative discomfort of cargo shorts with a belt. Also realizing there is at least one situation where I can’t have a firearm readily accessible regardless- swimming in the pool. Yes, I could bold a handgun safe near the side of the pool, but it’d be just too bloody obvious for cracking for anyone who breaks into the lanai while we’re out of the house.

4 Likes

I find wearing an empty holster isn’t that big of a deal but if it bothers you, try a paddle holster. Slips on and off easily. Remember it’s not supposed to be comfortable but comforting!

8 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

4 Likes

Mario, your firearm is like a tool. The more you use it or handle it, the better you will become acquainted with it. When in a safe place to do so, go through a dry fire routine as often as you can to commit the movements to muscle memory. You will also become faster on the draw and safer when out in the public’s view.
Just wear it from “socks on” to “socks off” time. Your firearm is you comrade in arms so treat it like it is your best friend.
Stay Safe Marrio the public depends on you so stay armed and trained.

4 Likes

gun in a safe by the door? a door that a perp might break into?

4 Likes

Yeah, the safe would definitely need to be staged/hidden appropriately like underneath a table or concealed like one of those furniture or wall hidden safes.

Not like the one you may have on top of your night stand. Great point @Michael72

3 Likes

If it is in a safe, it is not a defense tool

5 Likes

But it doesn’t seem like the OP is looking for a defensive tool for the house, it seems he’s looking for a solution to simplify donning/doffing his weapon as he leaves/enters his home.

So it might be a solution for that.

But I agree with your basic statement sir/ma’am.

2 Likes

Keep your holster with gun in it while watching jeopardy, doing dishes, etc.

7 Likes

@Marrio. Welcome to the community,train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :grinning:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community,train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :grinning:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community,train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks! I switched to a comfortable IWB. Nonetheless, I’m in the habit now of pants on/gun on in the morning and vice versa at bedtime.

5 Likes

Sounds crazy but some of us was trained to keep it holsters anywhere we go with all respect. I am not being disrespectful to you in any form.

I saw a crazy Clint Eastwood movie from the 60’s and His Jewish co-star, the Mexican ( Jewish. ) Decided to take a bubble bath in the middle of a bombed out town. anything. Carried His firearm anywhere.

Be always prepare for anyting.

5 Likes

Well, let me just say that if I have my pants on the gun is on my hip. Other than that it is within arms length 99.9 % of the time.

5 Likes