Running Errands

What I’ve learned since joining the USCCA community and practicing my EDC:

• a gun is “heavy” feeling when all I carried prior was money, keys, phone, and occasionally the wallet.
• a gun with fully loaded magazine + 1 in the camber is both “scary” at first, but also now “heavier”.
• a gun attached to the body with holster makes for new sitting positions…also threading new gun belt through the belt hoops is right up there with me wanting to make the bed each morning, not.
• discovery of empty holster while waiting in line at retail store I equally scary as having to use said missing gun. I could get home quick enough…don’t know why I stayed in line to complete the purchase. Compromises can be costly given the right circumstances.
• I’ve finally decided if I need to put on shoes to exit the house, I most certainly need to practice my EDC. It is at that moment when the gun does not leave my side till I take my pants off again. (Afternoon delights…well they don’t come often to ol’ man me anymore).

• here’s the kicker: I’ve been harping on a relative to practice EDC even while at home. She actually got quite the scare when several shirtless & masks individuals were discovered in the driveway with 1 peering in the basement window. She walked towards the window and heard the excuse, “We thot da house waz abandoned.” They all quickly scampered down the driveway on bicycles. Had this been a real threat, she did not have any firearms on same level she was occupying. Hopefully several ppl got scared enough to start doing the right thing that day.
• finally, you know when you’re doing EDC right when you place the same level of thought as you do about wearing your shoes. I think about my shoes about 2-4 times a day.

Oh, ya, welcome to the EDC community of responsible individuals.

5 Likes

Most wardrobe considerations are climate driven. Depending on where you live determines your options. I was always a “tucked in” guy too and that wasn’t a problem up north where I could always wear a light or heavy jacket. Now in FL, It’s t-shirt with untucked cover shirt or belly band and trunks.

4 Likes

I’ve always said I’d rather be paranoid and be wrong than to not be paranoid and be wrong. The simple fact is the Universe is out to get you and if you drop your guard, it just might.
On my person all the time until I undress late at night, then it’s on my desk about 8" from my hand. Lives on my desk at bedtime though, as I don’t have an end table. Still, that’s only a step away from my bed, so I’m not far from it then, either. Shotgun behind the bedroom door is close, too. The trained attack cat, however, is kinda iffy. She’d probably just watch the fireworks.

5 Likes

I call them temple cats. They do not work well as to fending off people, but they do react to people coming to the door. They react as in scurrying in the door and look down to the door to see what happens next. A good yapping dog would be a good alarm too. Entering my house the first thing someone sees is a silhouette with a hole in the center mass and 25 rounds @ 25 yards written on it, as well as, A Marine Corps Emblem. Then they have the choice of entering the second door to the house.

3 Likes

Heh. Mine is a 18+ lbs. monster, but my roommate/landlord’s cat is maybe 5 lbs. soaking wet, and if the inside door is open, she’ll sit by the storm door and meow loudly if anyone comes up to the door. Little cat has a major set of lungs. My furry critter, on the other paw, can’t be bothered.
Since the inner door is closed at night, I guess I’ll just have to rely on sleeping neither well nor deeply to wake me up if someone tries to enter. Of course, the noise of them tripping over the two furry speed bumps will help wake me up, too.
However, since I live in a very large condo complex, with every building looking just like mine, and each containing 12 units, I do have some safety in anonymity. Pretty well lit, too, so that helps.

2 Likes

Here’s my advice.

I can’t carry a gun at work. I now keep a gun locked up in my truck for just work. (Keeps me from walking into work with a gun on accident which would be a huge no no for my job).

Get a single clip holster (I use CYA, but there are many different brands). It takes two seconds to clip that sucker on and go.

I have multiple hybrid holsters, they’re cool, they’re more comfortable, but they are a pain in the but for me to clip on. I only use them on certain occasions now (when I need to tuck in my shirt, which is very rare :joy:).

I keep a pair of cargo shorts with my carry belt hanging in my closet. If I’m wearing gym shorts or sweats, I just switch to the shorts and I go. Every now and again I’ll use a belly band.

Commit to carrying all the time. It won’t be a thing anymore. Seriously, use a single clip holster. They don’t have to be just for appendix, I carry at 3-4 oclock.

3 Likes