Recommendation for Conceal Carry 45acp?

I’ve run about 14 rounds of 230 gr HST without any issues through my m&p shield .45. I should probably have shot more, but I’m being careful with ammo being short and tight with money.

1 Like

No problem with anything on the shield. It has eaten everything I’ve thrown at it . Lead reloads,hollowpoints , factory target loads.

4 Likes

Here’s my alternating warm/cool carry loads. The 230 grain is the cool weather

2 Likes

interesting… warm/cool carry loads.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if you are looking for a 1911 or not. If you are looking for a 1911 check out the SDS 1911. It is a very good clone of the 1911A1. No frills, just a very good shooter. If you are looking for a plymer 45 ACP checkout the M&P. It comes with 10 round mags. I do believe you can get 14 round mags.

2 Likes

S/W Shield .45 Performance Center–ported barrel and night sights.

2 Likes

The cool weather load, is for a little added penetration against heavier clothing. The warm weather load, has less penetration, more expansion, less worry of over penetration. If you go a route like this, make note of how each load shoots in your carry gun. Lighter, faster rounds are known, in some instances, to have a lower point of impact.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice on the loads; always aim a tad higher on the lighter loads although hope i never have to use it. Rather walk the hell away from a nitwit but sometimes, God forbid, you might be forced into a situation… getting off topic. I’ve got a full size SA 1911 military OD Green, got it used with case 7 magazines, paperwork, and a few other things that came with it… no way i carry a full size 1911 in Florida (me anyway). I’m going for the S&W M&P Shield 2.0 45 without all the bells and whistles of the Performance Center though. Got a deal over the net at our LGS for the above with 7 mags… yeah, i know. Guy purchased and never picked up so i’ll grab it when i get back. The performance center guns are really pretty but i’m looking for something a bit more simple and functional for now. Thought about what Todd30 said on the 1911 RO Compact but this will be my one and only Polymer. Not really a Glock fan although over here you can bet your life on them (and have); always ready to shoot no matter what the conditions, however, home i’m an external safety guy (old school, gotta’ have extra mags) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The only thing I don’t like about the standard Shield, is the rear sight. Why S&W put that sloped one on there is beyond me. Since your getting a good deal, that’s an easy fix. As far as the aimpoint difference between those 2 loads, it’s not much. At self defense distances, 7 yards and under, we’re talking maybe an inch. If God forbid you were having o defend yourself, and aimed center of mass, they would still be good hits.

1 Like

Isn’t that just the standard M&P rear site? Do you not like it because of racking the slide on a belt?

1 Like

The standard, full size M&P, is vertical. The Shield is sloped. Yes, I don’t like the slope in case I needed to hang it on something to rack the slide. The sight picture is the same 3 dot.

2 Likes

I do. 230 JHPs Federals

1 Like

One of my EDC pistols is an H&K USPc .45. The compact USP is a great size for concealed carry. I began my pistol life shooting my father’s Colt 1911A1 but it’s far too large to carry concealed. The full sized USP pistols are also too large for carry. Another big disadvantage of a 45 is the capacity. You’re immediately at a disadvantage with only 7-8 rounds vice 10-19 9mm. As most LE will tell you, they like the idea of more rounds!

1 Like

@ES16 My daily carry:

It just fits me. It is heavier than my Glock and M&P. The finish is great over Stainless steel slide and frame. Commander length barrel. I wear it with cargo shorts and t-shirt now because of the 90+ degree days here in VA. Primary mag has 8+1 Hornady 185 gr Critical Defense. Backup mag has 8 rds of monolithic.

8 Likes

Nice piece of hardware brother.

1 Like

Man, that is a sweet piece of hardware

2 Likes

Thanks! One of my favorites!

1 Like

Dang nice piece… so many to choose. God I love this country.

3 Likes

Thanks, brother.

1 Like

I carry this in winter, but in summer, I switch to either an Shield .45 or a Sig 938.

2 Likes