Recommendation for Conceal Carry 45acp?

Would like to here some recommendations for a conceal carry 45, without dovetail, all metal or polymer upon returning from the sand pit. Thanks…

2 Likes

WALTHER PPQ45
M&P45 M2.0 COMPACT
SA XD-S Mod2

These are I’d think about for 45. However I do not shoot this caliber.

I love PPQ ergos and M&P design. XD-S is great for concealment.

4 Likes

My edc is the Shield 45. I love that gun. Holds the same capacity as a 1911 (comes with flush 6+1 mag and longer 7+1 mag. I carry the flush mag in the gun and always have the 7 rounder as a spare.) It’s easy to carry and I find it really fun to shoot.

I’ve heard Springfields polymer 45 is decent.

3 Likes

Jerzy, Scoutbob… thanks for the selections. Thinking of going with the S&W M&P Shield 2.0 with a 3.375 inch barrel.

5 Likes

There are a lot of good 45’s out there. I think a big part comes down to preferences. There are different triggers, widths, weight, grip angles, etc.

I ended up with a couple Kahr’s in 45, but think that most people don’t like the long reset (and a RS maintenance schedule more in line with a 1911).

If you aren’t adverse to a larger compact, I was impressed with how well I shot the Glock 30, but couldn’t get over the hump sticking into my hand on every shot. If that doesn’t bother you, it’s a great firearm.

1 Like

@ES16 - for me everything is about barrel. For concealed carry 4" is max, however my current EDC has 3.6" and is way easier to live with :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve carried a M&P 45c 1.0 everyday for 4 years. 8+1. It will accept bigger mags(10, 15 anyone😁) and it shoots like a dream. Handles my favorite +p flying ashtrays like a champ. I am getting ready to add a Performance Center 4 inch Shield 45 to the stable as well. Can’t go wrong with the M&P 45’s.

4 Likes

I see where you both are coming from… I’ve got a SA 45ACP purchased for the house but CC carrying in Florida anywhere is just a bit much. I watched Hancock shoot the S&W M&P and noted the size of the handgun in relation to putting a second shot on target after the recoil… not sure but the weight carrying for an OWB might be a deal breaker as well. Just throwing ideas out there.

1 Like

Dang it you’re right, I have a glock 19 and in the middle of a p80 compact build, I just handled both just now …dang it, that infernal hump…:unamused:

2 Likes

The one I’m carrying right now is bigger than the Shield. It’s actually the same size as a Glock 19. It’s a 4 inch, double stack. It’s this gun. Now Smith and Wesson lists mine as Law Enforcement only, but, there is a 2.0 of the same size.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-45c-no-thumb-safety-no-mag-safety-law-enforcement-only

2 Likes

@ES16 - did it mean “no 1911”… I wasn’t sure…

1 Like

If your set on a short barrelled .45 ACP I’m with you, I’ve carried a 1911 officers Model for 30 years, it’s starting to get a bit heavy. You said return from the sandbox / sandpit so I will A$$uME that you are AD/Reserve or contractor, my question is which pistol frame are you most comfortable with? Folks that I know that were trained on the 1911 don’t shoot a Glock well as the grip angle is wrong, Sig 226 (MK-11) and 92F (M-9) are of similar angle to the 1911 and the transition is not too bad other than the upside down safety on the Beretta. The only Poly framed pistol that just dropped into my hand was the Springfield XD (Gen1) I shook hands with it the first time and it was “Ahhhhh” like an old pair of boots. That’s me. Once you get back find a couple shops and shake hands with the platforms and make the call from there.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Dang, I can’t find it now, but I recall an article on why some people loved carrying their 1911s. The main point was that even though it’s a big service pistol, it’s also thin. There were some other pros and cons, but that’s the only one I remember. If I were better at searching, I’d share it.

1 Like

Good taste in firearms ES16

1 Like

This is a cool gun. I was kind of confused between the compact and subcompact M&Ps for some time. The names they picked where a little confusing (M&P 45C vs M&P 45Compact). Not as confusing as the names of a certain gun made mostly in Austria though. :joy::joy:

1 Like

I didn’t know this was a thing! My only concern with the standard shield is if the barrel length is long enough to get the velocity I want for good HP expansion. 4” barrel would be nice. (I’m not too worried about my gun though :rofl:, it shoots). I would lean more twards getting a double stack 45 if I were to add on to my carry list. I’ve pretty much dedicated myself to the standard Shield 45.

3 Likes

Go Smith&Wesson M&P 2.0 all the way. :wink:

2 Likes

Lol! That’s funny. I’ve got a double stack, and am picking up the Shield for summertime carry. With the extended mag, I’ll only lose one round (my 8+1 vs Shield’s 7+1), in a package less than an inch thick.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-mp-45-shield-m20-4-barrel

2 Likes

Ruger American compact
Comes with either 3 seven round or one 7 and one 10 round mags
While I haven’t shot compact I love my full size American 45

2 Likes

Found this video answering my question. The right ammo won’t have issues.

(Edit: forgot to paste the link :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes