Recommendations on a .45 ACP EDC

Hello -

I have just received my Glock 43X and am now looking for suggestions on an EDC in .45 ACP for wintertime. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

2 Likes

There’s folks here that know alot about 45 for edc. If you can handle it it’s s very good weapon. Follow up shots matter for any sidearm. So good luck…

4 Likes

Kimber Ultra II anything 3”, I’ve been carrying over 12 years, the Utra Raptor II 3” .45 acp, very comfortable for me and can place a round where ever you tell it!

4 Likes

Two very common carry .45 ACP’s you will hear mentioned here are the S&W shield, and the Springfield Armory XDs, and often for winter carry people will choose one of the full size options. The XDs works best for me, but the S&W seems to be more popular, a commander size might be a nice option too. The small .45 ACP to my experience is plenty accurate and reliable, but does take practice , more so than a full size, to keep shot placement in the green.

Good luck choosing, I think you will get lots of input here, though it’s been covered a few times before, it’s always good to ask.

3 Likes

@Scott52, would you say that’s a commander size? or is it like a compact? The XDs is a 3.3" but to me is very much a compact. sorry I’m just not familiar with the raptors in terms of actual size.

2 Likes

I’m looking at this one.

4 Likes

Ah, Nice! Glad I asked, it’s smaller than I thought.

2 Likes

May look small but has some weight when fully loaded! Much more than the G43.

1 Like

A couple of short vids showing velocity and penetration and expansion with a short barrel.
I have 2 .45s. Springfield Armory XD w/4.5 in. barrel. 13+1.
Taurus PT 1911 AR 5 in. barrel. 8+1.
I prefer the traditional 1911. :+1:
I use Hornaday Critical Defense 185grn. for S.D.

3 Likes

I carry a Dan Wesson Valkyrie all year. It’s an aluminum-framed COO, which means it has the commander-length slide (4.25” barrel) with the officer length frame (-1 capacity from full size government.

I have carried all kinds of guns from pocket .380’s on up and have found it to be the best option for me. It is nice and thin, which conceals well for me, shoots well and is controllable. Cant beat that. It conceals better because of how thin it is than any of my Glock double stacks.

3 Likes

I would consider the M&P 45 Shield, it’s well made, it’s compact and a good shooter. It is also a light gun and concealable.

4 Likes

Glock 30 or 41 work for me. They are my EDC year around. Depends on what I am wearing and where I am going.

3 Likes

Glock 30SF, 30S, 21SF
Springfield XDS 3.3, XDE
Walther PPQ

2 Likes

I have a Beretta PX4 Storm in .45ACP. My favorite handgun to date. Full-frame, OWB, cover garment, no issue CC - any season.

2 Likes

A not so popular option that I like is the Kahr CW45, and the PM45 (smaller). These are my most carried firearms. However, many people don’t like the long trigger and long reset.

Here’s Handgun Hero spec comparison’s of the CW45 vs 43x and the PM45 vs 43x.

And for good measure, the CW45 vs the Ruger SR1911 Officer 45.

2 Likes

Been carrying Kimber crimson ultra carry ll 3 ’ barrel 45 ACP, shooting 230 grain rounds for 10 years.

3 Likes

The Shield 45 is the best plastic 45 gun IMO. You get 6+1 or 7+1 in a really easy to carry package. As far as efficiency goes, I believe it is the most efficient 45 carry gun (in regards to size weight and capacity) it is a very thin gun, but I find it to be the perfect size. I really like the S&W Shield 9mm, but it’s just a tad too small for my liking now. This one as some meat to it.

I personally like how it shoots, but keep in mind it is a smaller light weight gun shooting 45. BUT most people I read online agree it’s a pleasant experience to shoot. Many shield carriers end up carrying the shield 45 because they like it more. (This is my EDC).

(Full size m&p9 on left, Shield 45 with the larger mag on the right (flush mag significantly decreases the size, but i don’t have any issues concealing the larger mag).

2 Likes

Shield .45 if you want a single stack. M&P 45c if you want a double. I have carried the latter everyday for 4.5 years. It has never let me down. I would have switched to a 4 inch Pc Shield 45 earlier this year, but, the dreaded back order/out of stock was what keeps coming up. Maybe I’ll get one in 2021. The Shield is definitely thinner, and easier to carry, but, my compact accepts full size mags. 8+1 in the gun, 10 round spare. If 19 rounds of 230 grain, +p, flying ashtrays don’t solve the problem, then there are bigger problems.

4 Likes

Not sure how much you want to spend. I’m a big fan of the M1911A1

Since winter hit I carry a full size Norinco M1911A1. I bought it in 1993 for $276.00. Very good guns. They’re hard to find now.

Take a look at Rock Island Armory M1911A1 also.

7 Likes

Check this one out! https://youtu.be/EbatA70O-mM

2 Likes