Picking up dropped gun

in few States, Outdoor Range season just has begun.
For me it comes with more intense and dynamic training, which may bring weird situation when somebody can drop the handgun on the ground - accidentally or in purpose.

It is a good thing to remind yourself how to properly handling the situation when your handgun is on the ground and you need safely pick it up.

https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/video/how-to-pick-up-a-dropped-gun-017820/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=a6135

Trainā€¦ and donā€™t be another Chase Bishop :point_down:

https://youtu.be/H_u04jXVC7w

16 Likes

A good point, and one not often discussed.

My biggest point for this is, do not try to catch a falling gun.

Much like a falling knife is ā€˜all bladeā€™, a falling gun is to be considered ā€˜all triggerā€™.

Let it fall.

22 Likes

Good topic! After handling firearms for 6 decades I finally had my first drop a couple weeks ago. What Iā€™m saying is this can happen to any of us. Fortuanately I did not try to catch it, and I took my time carefully picking it back up with my finger off the trigger.

I posted about it a couple days ago:

Hereā€™s the rest of the story. I had to disarm while out in my car. When I returned home I was standing beside my car in the concrete driveway. As I was transistioning the firearm from the car to the IWB holster on my hip a gust of wind caught the open door and it hit me.

12 Likes

Thanks. Put this on my watch list to watch later. Good reminder.

3 Likes

Modern, quality firearms have a drop safety. Older guns (even from a quality maker) may not, so be sure you understand what is and is not a feature of your gun.

In the Stone Age, when I was a cop, a colleague responded to a water balloon fight complaint on a local college campus. While he was running across the street, his Colt Python fell out of his holster, hit the concrete curb and discharged, the bullet striking him in the calf. I can still remember his screams on the radio call for an ambulance.

4 Likes

The Sig P320 debacle should have taught everyone to not trust a drop safetyā€¦right?

6 Likes

Well, some of us didnā€™t trust buy carry or own Sig to begin with so we were safe :slight_smile:

But, Iā€™ll wager a dropped (modern, no safety mods, duty/defensive grade) pistol is still safer letting be dropped vs trying to catch. Whatever it may be. Even the problem, unfixed P320ā€™s have to land exactly wrong to be an issue.

And if you have a P320 to which the not-actually-drop-safe issue applies, I strongly recommend sending it to Sig to be corrected.

4 Likes

And now we know why the military insisted on Sig adding manual safeties to the M17/M18. And why I put one on my P365.
Just because youā€™re paranoid, it doesnā€™t mean someoneā€™s NOT out to get youā€¦even if itā€™s Murphyā€™s Law.

4 Likes

Cool of you to share. Happened to me once. Thanks for the advice.

I have never been so embarrassed, and no one else even saw. Mine just happened to have a heavy trigger pull, nothing in the chamber, and the safety on. It was a Beretta, pistol, all steel brand. Though ashamed, I was taught such a crucial lesson, and feel I am so more careful and confident now, and cannot imagine my ever allowing that to happen again.

I also learned about better holsters and better fitting in holsters, though I take full responsibility.

Funny thing was, not a single scratch occurred, despite it bouncing all over the concrete; Darn good brand.

Peace.

6 Likes

The idea of dropping a $2,000.00 knife on the ground makes me just cringe. dropping a gun of the same price makes me cringe too. Yes, I have knives worth 2K and one is 3K. I do not drop them or handle them in such a manner to which I might drop one.

5 Likes

:thinking:As long as we donā€™t do any break dancing and somersaulting like that agent whoā€™s firearm flew off his holster, hitting the floor, and discharging. :laughing:

6 Likes

I had my pistol fall out of my shoulder holster and made sure my finger didnā€™t touch the trigger when i picked it up. My holster was remade so it wonā€™t happen again.

2 Likes

Definitely a good topic-something you donā€™t always think about, particularly for fairly new shooters,but good tips for anyone of any level of proficiency.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community! We are glad to have you.

2 Likes

There is good food for thought here, and some new things to consider. I have an instructor that constantly mentions over manipulation of the firearm. Any time somebody shows him a ā€œcar holsterā€ or console safe where you transition the firearm from your on body holster to something off body, itā€™s an opportunity to mishandle the firearm because the trigger is not covered. Not to say anyone is being negligent or anything like that, but safety first and always. I carry appendix and I now do two things differently than I used to. If I have to disarm, i take the holster off with the firearm in it that way the trigger stays covered, and when driving, I keep it on. Thereā€™s some getting used to and a process that goes with it, but I like the fact that itā€™s right there if i need it. Anyway, your story made me think of that. Carry on!

4 Likes