Unprotected bench while down range retrieving /checking targets

I often wonder when I’m down range checking /retrieving my targets and walk back to the bench to find a rifle, handgun, or range bag stolen. I’ve got some expensive rifles that could easily grow legs if there was not some kind of range security. I believe that most people at a range respect other people’s property, but there are shady characters in every bunch. Has anybody had their guns stolen?

9 Likes

Welcome, Terry!

I have not, but I don’t go to outdoor ranges alone unless there is an RSO. Either the RSO or myself/someone with me are at the line if I go downrange.

6 Likes

I’m always nervous about leaving them on the bench but then again I seldom go to ranges that have that type of set up alone.

8 Likes

I usually have someone along to watch our gear and watch others if there isn’t a RO
now I just shoot at home on our own range and save the headache
pistol -1 summer, 1 winter rifle -300 yds.

8 Likes

I almost never shoot at formal ranges. When shooting at gravel pits I always have a loaded pistol on me in addition to whatever I am shooting with. I take the firearm I’m using with me or lock it in the vehicle if the targets are far enough away that I couldn’t get back to my table quickly enough if someone pulls up.

9 Likes

I recently attended a long range shooting class which required me to check a very expensive (for me) rifle with my airline. I was worried about theft, so I put a Samsung Smart Tag Plus in the case to track it. It worked great. If your rifle has a cavity in the stock, you could easily squirrel such a tracker there.

9 Likes

@Terry193 Welcome to the community, and these days you just have to watch your back EVERYWHERE we go, cause there are PRYING EYES everywhere ready to pounce at any time.

5 Likes

Welcome

4 Likes

I do shoot at “membership” ranges, and quite often alone. Being able to go mornings during the week is an advantage, since sketchy people don’t like to get up that early. I usually only end up sharing with one or two old guys like me. That doesn’t mean I’m not security conscious. My EDC is on my belt at all times as well as keeping a sharp eye on anyone sharing the range and acting accordingly.

Aside from that I also enjoy the advantage of poverty; none of my gear is expensive, flashy, or the sort of high-end stuff to incite larcenous envy. This isn’t a perfect defense, but it’s a functional foundation.

And to all you guys with your abandoned gravel pits or backyard ranges…duck you! :wink:

PS: I’ve never been to a range where there was an RO in attendance. Every one has been more or less run on the honor system.

6 Likes

I shoot 99.9% indoors where there are range folks watching along with cameras. I wouldn’t shoot at an outdoor range alone (no one to watch my stuff).

4 Likes

At a public, out door range I have a habit of keeping my gun cases locked and the particular rifle I am shooting at the time I have a tendency to take the bolt with me down range. The RO’s know me and my kit so walking out the multi layered shooting , cleaning, selling, parking lot would probably no fair well.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Yea, shooting at an indoors range in the early morning works for me. I have now been a new shooter for just over a month. At 0830am or 0900am, me and my instructor (I am training one-on-one) are usually the only ones on the range. The store opens at 1000, and there are usually only a handful of people in the store then. The rules to use the range are quite strict which is another huge plus. The instructors are very strict about safety and fundamentals; there are no shortcuts allowed. In my mind, this speaks volumes about the folks who run the range. This indoor range also has cameras to monitor all activity.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @Terry193

4 Likes

I’ve never had anything stolen except a magazine, but that was by the guy in the next booth by mistake. He left one of his in its place.

The state range near me used to have this problem, but there hasn’t been any trouble since they installed cameras and got retired LEOs to be range officers.

The long distance range I go to has cameras and membership-only access codes to get on the property. That keeps most troublemakers off. It’s a good group of guys and there’s always a few that stay behind to watch everyone’s equipment. Most of us have several thousand dollars worth at any given time. Yes, it requires trust but it works well. No problems since I’ve been there, and I’m not aware of any prior to my joining.

5 Likes

We have 3 indoor ranges, been to two of them, and one of them I will not spend my money at due to it being run like a McDonalds. 2 outdoor ranges, one run by a gun nazi who thinks women don’t know anything and will always bet you he’s a better shot than you are, the other has wannabe gangbangers that practice drivebys.
Our BLM spot 48 miles away always has friendly, courteous, safety minded folks there where nobody would ever steal anything, more like let you shoot eachothers firearms.

5 Likes

Yeah, indoor ranges. I’m aware they exist but I’ve never in my life shot in one. The few I’ve checked out seem to be chokingly restrictive in what you can do, not to mention way expensive. But that’s just me; you do what works best for you.

I love the outdoor range I’ve been a member of for the past few years. On a weekday morning I usually have a pistol bay to myself so I can set up a full size silhouette target at my preferred distance (between 3 and 30 yds) and do all kinds of drills. Currently I walk around the target bay then draw, turn, and fire 3/4/5 shots by ‘point shooting’. I’m getting to where all rounds land in the torso, so holding minute-of-bad guy accuracy. Lots of fun, too, but can only be done on an empty range.

5 Likes

Yes 95% of the time when at public ranges. Usually with one or more friends :us:

4 Likes

Welcome to the family @Terry193 and glad to have you with us. BTW I have never had my guns stolen at a range. Though I was with a friend at an indoor range and someone stole his weapon mounted light from the bench.

4 Likes

Outdoor ranges may be superior, but, I would have second thoughts about going to a range which was unsupervised. If not, I would take along a friend or buddy to watch my back. Sound carries for a long ways, and you can bet gunfire coming from an open range would attract the curious (and maybe the crazy).

1 Like

Well, the range I am referring to in my training scenario is fenced and gated (locked) which makes it a bit difficult for casual folk to wander through. Along with the fact that in this area people pretty much respect property rights and boundaries, especially when they hear gunfire. The other range I frequent is somewhat more supervised with video cameras sending a live feed from the firing line to the store counter. The owners at this range are not shy about calling people out or revoking membership for bad/dangerous behavior. This range is also out in the back of beyond and not easy to get to, being 1/2 a mile down a private road with a creek to ford on the way in. Nice folks though, and decent gun store.

5 Likes