Unprotected bench while down range retrieving /checking targets

I have been shooting at gravel pits or hillsides for over a decade and I have only seen other people show up on 3 occasions. Once the people saw I was still practicing and left. Another time people pulled in when I was packing up and asked if it was OK if they took my place and the third time a man with his family drove in and asked if it was ok to shoot on the other side of the pit. They ended up throwing some clays for me so I could practice with the new shotgun I had just bought.

In my area if people hear someone shooting at a pit they usually drive on by to find another spot to shoot. That’s what I do but we also have the advantage of being surrounded by forest service land with multiple options and not a whole lot of people living nearby.

5 Likes

If you have a range officer there anyone touching their or anyone else’s weapons should be getting an extreme yelling at for breaking safety rules of handling weapons while the range is cold.

8 Likes

The shop i work at has an indoor range. An rso is on deck whenever there’s shooters. We always pay pretty close attention to who’s in what lane and shouldn’t be in another lane. You handle someone else’s firearms or equipment without permission, you’re gone. We also have a boatload of cameras looking at the range. The outdoor range i go to is members only and has a locked gate and at least 10 cameras. Every member knows each other and in the small town, half of us are probably related. Don’t expect anyone there to do something they shouldn’t, and i have no worries about leaving my stuff unattended there. I’ve even kept an eye on someone’s stuff when they left to go get tacos :joy:

9 Likes

Welcome terry to the USCCA. GREAT TO HAVE YOU. WE ARE FAMILY AND YOU ARE AS WELL I AM Bobby Jean I know a lot about a little !!! And ALL THE ANSWERS ARE REALLY RIGHT HERE GREAT TO HAVE YOU SIR .!!! Love Bobby Jean and Debbie ann SIR :us::chile::owl::feather::feather::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::bangbang::v:t5::100::100::100::popcorn::beer::popcorn::beer::popcorn::beer:I LOVE ROOT BEER :beer: AND POPCORN :popcorn: WOOHOO :partying_face:

2 Likes

We have a range here at a State Park ( Beech Fork ) and it’s at the end of a dirt road and is open to everyone and the only people out there are those who are shooting. I won’t go there by myself because a few years ago a very much liked young pastor was there shooting and he went to check targets and two guys who were AWOL from the Marine Corps were waiting in the weeds for anyone they could accost and as the Pastor was checking his targets they came out of hiding and grabbed one of his handguns shot and killed him and stole his SUV, they killed someone else in another state and was caught and last I heard one of them had been executed and I recon the other is awaiting the same fate unless he got life for turning on the other who knows but people here in Huntington were very sad for a very long time

5 Likes