Range safety

I recently visited my favorite indoor range. I went to throw away some trash from my station and observed the following:
2 stations over a young woman was on one knee;
Pistol behind her back pointed at concrete floor
Finger in trigger.

I immediately packed up and left the range, speaking with the safety personnel. I will not stay on a range where I see unsafe actions and no safety officer correcting the issue. This range has cameras showing all shooting stations.

It is not my place to correct the unsafe actions of others but I do not have to continue to place myself in that condition. I wonder what other do in unsafe conditions?

25 Likes

When I see unsafe actions I immediately go to the range officer and notify them of the problem. I have at time talked really loud about the safety rules as if I was talking to the person next to me who is my girlfriend. She knows when I do it , why I am doing it.

18 Likes

I’d immediately inform those in charge of unsafe behavior - this affects everyone on the range, and just can’t continue. You would like to think this had already been spotted, but if no one responds to this, it’s up to you to correct the situation.

11 Likes

I’m not going to try and correct anyone’s behavior who already has their finger on the trigger of a gun.

26 Likes

I have two indoor ranges within reasonable distance from my home. I choose to use the one that makes me feel more comfortable and safe. That starts with the management and goes to the physical layout. Luckily I have a clear choice.

9 Likes

No - it’s the range personnel’s legal responsibility to make the call. Our litigious society demands as much.

4 Likes

Yes - I think you agree with @OldGnome ?

5 Likes

Yes, immediately inform range personnel.

There is no way I’m approaching anyone who has a loaded firearm in their possession but does not know or follow basic safety precautions.

14 Likes

You just typed the job description of a Range Safety Officer…well, minus the “stay alert and wait for the idiot…” part. It’s what they do. The pay sucks, too. Most do it mostly for the free range time and discounted ammo. It certainly isn’t for the free red shirts! :wink:

Think about that the next time you are at the range. :peace_symbol:

10 Likes

It depends on the situation. If it is someone that is new, and isn’t following safe handling, I would likely approach and ask if he/she would like some assistance, which I have done. If it is something more serious, as someone mentioned pointing firearm in an unsafe direction, and not someone new, I would leave and inform the range officer of the issue, which I have also done.

8 Likes

One of the reasons I frequent the range I do is because the personnel are all very competent yet remain down to earth and friendly.

These days, they don’t even get the discounted ammo because the range does not get it often enough. Sometimes, they can’t even have fun at their own range because they don’t have spare ammo. I hook them up when I can by buying online when I see a deal and passing it on at cost to these guys.

8 Likes

Competent RSO’s are a shooting ranges greatest assets. They play heavily into my decision on where to spend my time and money.

7 Likes

I see it the most on the Rifle side at my range. I just leave after letting owner know.

6 Likes

So I was at an indoor range yesterday that I frequent. I was going through various drills and had stopped to change handguns. It was the first time I noticed the diamond plate on the stall walls. As I looked closer there were 4 or 5 different bullet holes in the steel. Many still had the bullets lodged in them. This was my first time at this particular station but I don’t remember seeing them in the other stations.

It shows things can happen and we all need to stay alert.

5 Likes

I have seen holes in the ceiling above the firing line, and 180 degrees behind the firing line at a local indoor range. I don’t go there unless nobody else is shooting any more.

4 Likes

Seen the same.

3 Likes

The ROs at the indoor range I go to say most of the shots to the ceiling come from customers that chamber the 1st round with their finger on the trigger :-1:

I can honestly say I have not witnessed anyone not being safe when I’ve been there, but I go on weekdays. The ROs have warned me I don’t want to be there on the weekends.

7 Likes

Bout a mo. ago, at a range I never tried before, noticed their signs reading if we hit certain equipment which is only a couple a feet from the target, they do charge us penalty fees. Yep, I was extra careful. :flushed: :blush:

1 Like

The single biggest factor in the range I selected was safety. I looked at their policies, talked to the RSO and owner, and watched people come and go. In spite of all that, I still occasionally see people do stupid things. Like at my indoor range, where a customer experienced a FTF in the pistol he was shooting. He proceeded to walk off the range, pistol in-hand, finger on trigger, and place in on the front desk, pointed at the now-scrambling staff, and declared, “My pistol is jammed!” To their credit, his range membership was revoked on-the-spot.

@David12 I applaud your actions. Look out for yourself, notify the owners.

5 Likes

At our range, it is expressed that anyone can yell ceasefire… if I saw that, I would yell ceasefire and then bring the issue to the range officer, if there is one or to the person causing the unsafe act.

I get that some might be afraid to say something when the other person’s fingers on the trigger, But how would you feel if their stupid move got somebody hurt or killed and you didn’t say something when you could?

Not all ranges have a range safety officer working such as our club but yes at a commercial range again yell ceasefire and bring it to their attention.

7 Likes