Range safety

Aye, there’s the rub. How do you talk to someone who does not see you like any kind of authority figure, and they have their finger in a trigger? Is it fear that prevents me from talking to them? You’re darned right.

I do not see a good option among the entire answer set, especially if there isn’t an RSO close by or around at all (one reason I avoid one of the only outdoor ranges in the area).

3 Likes

Thankfully the safety officer at the indoor range I go to is always on top of of the range. He is either just outside the door watching or in the live fire area reminding people of the rules. I do appreciate ranges that have a safety officer that takes our safety seriously!

5 Likes

As a shooter in that range, when someone does something unsafe. tell that person politely, as they may not realize their error. Then, if no change, tell the Exec Range Officer. If no XRO, get serious if necessary. It is your life in danger. My general rule is this: when stupid arrives, I leave.

4 Likes

I recently recertification my CCW, which included live fire at a range. The range rules were printed, in large print, and plainly posted.

There was a candidate to my right, preparing their weapon for qualifying. There was another candidate to that shooter’s right. The person two stations down turned to their left - finger on trigger - pistol now pointed at my neighbor.

The range master immediately shut down the range via PA message. One of two hands-on safety officers ordered the offender’s weapon benched. The safety officer cleared the offender’s weapon and ordered them off premises.

I found out later the offender was permanently banned from the range.

11 Likes

Harsh but I suspect there is more to the story. You can change someone’s behavior but can not change their attitude. Bad attitude is not worth dealing with!

3 Likes

That’s why I like going when there’s hardly anyone at the range. Knucklheads make me really nervous. I once saw two dolled up ladies dressed like they were going to a club, rent an AR-15 just to take pictures of themselves. They literally shot the rifle twice :roll_eyes: Maybe it’s a good thing they did. I couldn’t wait for them to leave!

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve been to a range with my family and witnessed two guys acting unsafe to everyone around them. Apparently they were talked to twice that day again. After I had my talk with the range safety there, the two gentlemen got kicked out.

4 Likes

As an RSO Ivan have up to 12 active lanes. It’s difficult to have eyes on every one at the same time. I greatly appreciate any client notifying me of inappropriate actions occurring so that they can be addressed and corrected.

5 Likes

Call a cease fire, it’s every one’s Responsibility on the range when they see something wrong, get some training!!!

3 Likes

Have you ever been to a range where the shooters’ dedicated stand spot lane divider is “not” bullet resistant?

So far, the ones I’v e been to are separated by brick, metal, or thick glass (not know if bullet proof glass). More peace of mind.

1 Like

I think I would talk to the person in charge of the range and tell him what is going on. I know where I shoot he would take care of it to make the range safe.

2 Likes

I feel a responsible fire owner should take action, find a safety officer, politely speak to the unsafe actions. But to do nothing is missing a chance to help someone learn.

3 Likes

I have been going to the range for military and civilians for many years. I will always look to help anyone that I see is about to do a safety violation are just not properly using their sights. I make it my business when I go to the range to get the booth at the end which is number 10. That is my choice because I have to just be concerned with the shooter on my left when with students are just myself. There are alot of shooters that come to the range to shot but don’t seek out instructors and these are the same one that have a conceal carry weapons license. We have to pray that even when given the proper instructions that they will follow and realize that that would but them in a better situation if they get in a self-defense shooting.

2 Likes

I was on the range working with a friend of mine who was new to shooting (this was before I was an official instructor and right before I worked at that range). The woman in the lane next to me did the hot brass dance with her finger on the trigger and ended up aiming at the back of the range officer who was addressing another issue 5 lanes away.

I put my hands on the woman’s hand and arm and quickly directed it downrange - pretty sure I was shouting downrange/get your finger off the trigger. She was shocked that I put my hands on her and I was waiting for her to get in my face, so my hand didn’t leave her hands covering the gun until I knew she was calmer. My friend and I packed up. As I left, I let the owners know what happened and said I’d rather deal with her being PO’d at me than a dead or paralyzed RO.

Would I have done the same thing if the shooter had been a big guy? :thinking: I’d probably just use verbal commands depending on the situation.

But it all depends on the situation and the people involved. I became an instructor because I want to help people protect themselves and stay safe. I’ve stepped into situations where husbands are teaching their wives to shoot and there’s no way she’s going to be able to handle the gun the way he’s instructing her. Usually, it’s a friendly, hey try this XYZ instead. If the husband gets upset, I politely ask if he wants her to like shooting and let him know that I’ve been there (playing the girl card can be helpful in those situations). But if there’s a bad “vibe” coming from the situation it’s straight to the RSOs and I’m out.

Totally depends on the person/place. But RSOs are there to do a job and we can help be extra eyes on the range (just like y’all can be extra eyes here to help the moderators) ~Dawn

8 Likes

I went to a chain gun store/shooting range, on a weekend, where I saw a couple of younger guys that were obviously inexperienced and basically waving their rental guns around. I packed up, went to the store area and told the manager that the guys in lane #x were obviously new to the sport and being unsafe to the point where I’m leaving. He gave me a coupon for an hour of range time that I used on a weekday at a non busy time. I now no longer go to public, indoor ranges on weekends or at busy times.

3 Likes

I live in California; I’ve always seen some pretty stupid stuff on the pistol range and occasionally on the rifle range. I personally have no issue with telling someone who just swept me with the muzzle of their gun (they always say “well; it’s not loaded”), in a friendly way the first time; that they just performed a very unsafe act. They usually ask me what they did wrong (they literally don’t know even though most of them have just completed the mandatory Firearm Safety Certificate Test one must pass (unless you have a CCW or are LEO) here in CA. We have a LOT of new gun owners/shooters at our range. And here in CA the number of ranges is dwindling; I drive 45 minutes with no traffic to get to mine; so we have few options. My wife and I rarely shoot on weekends anymore; there are just too many unsafe people.

2 Likes

Many years ago I had a similar situation. Two men middle eastern men rented an AR-15. At least one of them it was clearly not familair. they were assigned the stall next to me. The range at the time was busy and I couldn’t see RSO on duty in the range. I look over to my shoulder and one of the men has the rifle pointed at the ground towards my feet but also in the general direction of eveyone on the firing line on the range. The person standing next to the man, holds his hand up to his friend, pulls the charging handle back and I see a unfired cartridge hit the floor. I shot my remaining mag and got the heck out of there. Tried telling the man at the desk handling range reservations but appeared too busy to be bothered. I have never returned and left a google review of my experience. They didn’t have suitable safety personell onm duty, and the range was busy with not only people shooting. shotguns and rifles, but also full-auto MP-5s (Looked to be LEOs). Seems to me if you allow people to rent certain types of firearms, or allow full-auto fire, you have a higher degree of responsibility to ensure everyone’s safety.

4 Likes

Sounds like a failure at the sign-in desk to begin with! :anguished:

3 Likes

WRONG! It is everyone’s responsibility to correct unsafe practices. Yes, if there is a RSO (Range Safety Officer) or other range official present, notify them. If there are no range personnel present, it is incumbent on the person witnessing the unsafe condition to politely confront the individual and provide corrective action. If it is really egregious, call a “Cease Fire” at the top of your lungs. This is basic NRA Range Safety. Anyone can call a “Cease Fire” at anytime when unsafe conditions are encountered. This is basic NRA and CMP range practice.

7 Likes

RSOs can’t be everywhere, all the time. And sometimes new shooters just need some assistance. I had two new shooters in the next lane over from me recently. They just needed someone to help them with skills they didn’t have yet and to politely remind them of the basic safety rules. They gladly accepted my help. I could have packed up, complained to management and left. Instead I helped two people gain respect for firearms and a little more knowledge about how to use them safely and responsibly. If they had been belligerent, that would have been a different story. I guess each situation will be different, based on the people involved.

4 Likes